Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Go price increases..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveW

May 21, 2019
Beds, UK
Spotted on the API today apparently...

New peak prices taken from Facebook:

A, it has gone from 14.1225 to 15.96
B: it has gone from 13.4505 to 15.33
C, it has gone from 14.7105 to 15.897.
D: it has gone from 14.6265 to 16.674
E: it has gone from 13.7235 to 15.645
F 12.9255 to 14.994
G 13.965 to 15.03
H 13.797 to 15.5925
J 14.3955 to 16.2645
K 14.0175 to 15.9075
L 14.2905 to 16.2645
M 13.314 to 15.183
N 14.1855 to 16.0335
P 14.4585 to 16.9155

Reactions: moodel_tree
Looking at the trends on Agile over the last few months it was becoming increasingly obvious the current Go rates were unsustainable. Still, it looks like they've kept the low rate at 5p, so it's still a great deal.

I'm going to stick it out with Agile for now and (hopefully soon) Agile export with my GivEnergy system, as I'm interested in how the product is developing.

Glad I switched to Go Faster only 4 days ago, hopefully I'll keep the current price for a full 12 months

When I recently renewed my Go tariff, it took some effort, but I got it in 'writing' that my Go tariff rates were protected for the full 12 months. It was just never clear from Octopus whether they were just rolling over my original tariff month by month, or started a fresh.

Unfortunately I am again possibly back at square one, as my gas tariff is soon to expire. Unfortunately all the Octopus documentation is bundling the Electricity and Go renewal together. Last time it was hard work renewing just my gas tariff and Octopus made several mistakes in doing so, thankfully all fairly benign. But getting it similarly wrong this time has much bigger consequences and tbh, based on past performance, I do not trust Octopus getting it right.

Reactions: pow216
EDFs, GoElectric 35 tariff is catching my attention just now. Its only 4.5p off peak from 12 to 5, which is an hour longer, and 0.5p cheaper than octopus. on peak seems to be 15.96p. Seems very competitive? Thoughts
This spreadsheet may be helpful if you are looking for an EV tariff.

Looking at the trends on Agile over the last few months it was becoming increasingly obvious the current Go rates were unsustainable. Still, it looks like they've kept the low rate at 5p, so it's still a great deal.

I'm going to stick it out with Agile for now and (hopefully soon) Agile export with my GivEnergy system, as I'm interested in how the product is developing.

I agree, having moved from Agile (which is still horrible)

Also read this over dinner: Octopus Energy sees 160% jump in revenue but still records loss due to ‘relentless investment’

When I recently renewed my Go tariff, it took some effort, but I got it in 'writing' that my Go tariff rates were protected for the full 12 months. It was just never clear from Octopus whether they were just rolling over my original tariff month by month, or started a fresh.

Unfortunately I am again possibly back at square one, as my gas tariff is soon to expire. Unfortunately all the Octopus documentation is bundling the Electricity and Go renewal together. Last time it was hard work renewing just my gas tariff and Octopus made several mistakes in doing so, thankfully all fairly benign. But getting it similarly wrong this time has much bigger consequences and tbh, based on past performance, I do not trust Octopus getting it right.
I asked about renewing only my gas tariff last week & got this reply:

Hi Andrew
Thank you for your email. Yes you can stay on Go Faster for electric and we can just change your gas tariff, either staying with Tracker or moving to another. Please let us know what one you prefer.
Kind regards....

I was considering Flexible Octopus for gas but for now I'm staying with Tracker as our usage is going to be low over the summer months. Electricity through to Autumn will be mostly standing charge & occasional overnight car charging when solar/storage is insufficient.

They have confirmed in writing & both tariffs are correct on my account.

I still don’t think these increases from Octopus fully reflect the price volatility of the wholesale market. The prices are bonkers out there If I’ve understood it correctly. I think the markets are playing a game of ‘who’s gonna blink first’ or pray for government intervention before it all kicks off.

N.B. This is the view of an amateur enthusiast. I welcome the views of anyone actually in the industry as to how this is all going to end. It looks like doomsday out there if the prices I’m seeing on Agile (buffered by solar and PowerWall for me) are anything to go by. But I might be just misunderstanding how all this works. I’m happy to be corrected if I learn something.

with Octopus go I am currently averaging 10p per KW (inc vat) and paying 25p standing charge.
So with my current low covid miles which may never increase you have to wonder if it will be worth it once the price increase hits.
might be better off on a flat tariff you can currently get rates of 12.1p/KW with a 12p standing charge ( symbio)

I asked about renewing only my gas tariff last week & got this reply:

Hi Andrew
Thank you for your email. Yes you can stay on Go Faster for electric and we can just change your gas tariff, either staying with Tracker or moving to another. Please let us know what one you prefer.
Kind regards....

I was considering Flexible Octopus for gas but for now I'm staying with Tracker as our usage is going to be low over the summer months. Electricity through to Autumn will be mostly standing charge & occasional overnight car charging when solar/storage is insufficient.

They have confirmed in writing & both tariffs are correct on my account.
there are cheaper options for gas than octopus though they are more competitive than they were a year ago

Imagine when nearly all households have electric cars. Where forecourts loose out, energy providers win. My guess is energy prices at home will continue to rise steadily now.
…. To the level which makes home solar/storage make even more sense. The great difference with electricity versus gas is you can make it at home (setting aside farting for now)

Reactions: jimbo_hippo
…. To the level which makes home solar/storage make even more sense. The great difference with electricity versus gas is you can make it at home (setting aside farting for now)
price of wind and solar is steadily coming down so who knows. So much solar in California now that the lowest prices are in the middle of the day now when they are almost giving it away. Not saying we will get to that point due to our climate but we have plenty of wind...

price of wind and solar is steadily coming down so who knows. So much solar in California now that the lowest prices are in the middle of the day now when they are almost giving it away. Not saying we will get to that point due to our climate but we have plenty of wind...
The same California with rolling blackouts?

Think I'd prefer to pay a bit more for stable generation :rolleyes: