Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Go price increases..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started a switch earlier in the week when it was still 15p and a bit, but cause they have to temporarily put me on an interim tariff until they connect to my smets2 meter I'm concerned they won't give me the go rate at the time I started the move.
I started the switch at the end of August. I just rang them and they confirmed I will absolutely still get the advertised rate at the time I applied! 😁

The last few months certainly have proven the solar/ battery concept for me. I'm on Go almost 19p kWh. But with the batteries, I haven't yet paid more than 16.3p kWh and am averaging about 10p for this month.
The saving on the attached is my Go versus Agile including daily charge

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210924-110506_Octopus Watch.jpg
    Screenshot_20210924-110506_Octopus Watch.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 81
Does anybody have Octopus Go for electricity but changed their Gas to another provider if cheaper (if any!). Or is that not possible under the terms of Octopus Go or Go Faster?
Yes, perfectly possible and I did this a while ago as So Energy (or something like that) was cheaper for gas. I just give a meter reading for gas each month while Octopus continues as normal on the smart meter.

I need to dig into this a bit more, appreciate prices are rising really fast, but 4x seems like a lot. I think it's actually just my Gas tariff that's ending, but this suggests that by renewing I'm starting a new fixed term for both gas and electricity:

1632486136240.png

1632486233356.png

I need to dig into this a bit more, appreciate prices are rising really fast, but 4x seems like a lot. I think it's actually just my Gas tariff that's ending, but this suggests that by renewing I'm starting a new fixed term for both gas and electricity:
I've just had a look at mine... I think the Current Annual amount at the top is Gas only (there's no way it's both, as I spend ~£200 per month).

Where as the new quote I think is both, and agree it takes you off Go as displayed there.

SVR anyone?

Reactions: Medved_77
To make a long story short, the stupid Zappi can’t distinguish between solar generation and juice stored in the battery. It sees them both as “excess solar” and will let the Tesla charge from the storage battery at 12.30 at night while the battery is trying to charge from the grid.

So to manage this the car is set to charge first , followed be the house battery. They have to share this 4 hour period of 5p juice in that order.

Ok... this isn't right...

That's exactly what my system did before I complained and did these changes...

- Update your Zappy Firmware to the latest Version. Then select 'avoid battery drain' in the Zappy Menu.

See below how to set the Zappi V2 to avoid draining the battery. This should have been done at point of installation

You can tell if the Myenergi products can see your battery if you go onto the app you should be able to see your Grid Supply, Solar PV, EDDI, Zappi V2 and Battery. If there is no battery on the app then it is likely the Zappi will be draining the battery, as it will take the energy from any power source as long as it is delivering the charge. You may be missing a CT Clamp on the battery cables.

To set the Zappi V2 to the “Avoid Drain” function, please see below;

- Go to the Zappi Menu.

- Scroll to “Other Settings”.

- Scroll to “Advanced”.

- Select “Grid Supply”.

- Scroll to “Network”.

- Scroll down to “Battery” and select “Avoid Drain”

Use the up and down arrows on the charging point to set the function to “Avoid Drain”.
Press the three dashes button until you get to the main screen (where you started) again.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Now our system can charge our car AND the Powerwalls at the same time.

See download chart below...

As it's coming off dual charging, the step is the car finishing first, as it continues with the Powerwalls for a bit longer.

Tesla can tell you what your charging rate limit is... this is set by your installer, phone them and also ask for a Powerwall Firmware update.

Telephone Tesla Support on :

01628 450630

OR

Email:

[email protected]

Screenshot_20210924-155340_Tesla.jpg

Last edited:

If you send Octopus an email stating which gas tariff you want to go onto, and ask for your electricity tariff to remain on Go, they'll make it happen.

Reactions: Medved_77
I've just had an invitation to join Intelligent Octopus - 6 hours at 5p/kWh, 23.30 - 05.30, and a specific app to handle the charging (you say when you want the car charged by, app takes care of it).
Surprised at the cheap rate being maintained, with extended hours, although the caveat included pretty much guarantees it won't be a great deal overall:

"A note for Go Faster customers: before you apply for Intelligent Octopus, be aware that the rates may have increased since you started your current Go Faster tariff, so if you change to Intelligent Octopus, you may have a higher rate for the peak periods from now on."

Um, no sh*t Sherlock!
Not applying anyway, as I like the 20.30 - 01.30 timeframe I have now, and will enjoy it even more in the dark winter months when I'm burning the lights, TV, PC, washer, dryer, car, etc. 😁

It’s like a Tesla. Can’t be justified, just enjoy the smug sensation :D

Driving back from Bath last night past the co-op petrol station at Marksbury, let’s just say it was busy. That kind of smug?

With our current price we will be good over the next 12 months. The question is whether these really are short term issues in the market. We’re protected by the gas price cap over winter as well. Pretty lucky overall unless Octopus go under.

Reactions: Durzel and Dilly
Would be interesting to see a recalculation of the economics of power wall in light of 25p per kWh!

Our two Powerwalls (and now EV) collect all excess Solar Generation from Spring through to Autumn... with over 15kW Powerwall draw capability you never need to use the Grid at all.

So they really pay back as nothing goes to the Grid. No excess and no demand.

So Winter night time low tariff downloads isn't it's only trick. 🙂👍

Reactions: Simavon and Dilly
Our two Powerwalls (and now EV) collect all excess Solar Generation from Spring through to Autumn... with over 15kW Powerwall draw capability you never need to use the Grid at all.

So they really pay back as nothing goes to the Grid. No excess and no demand.

So Winter night time low tariff downloads isn't it's only trick. 🙂👍
Well, but for some very stretched definition of "pay back" given the many thousands of pounds you paid for them. But at basically double the kWh rate from 6 months ago, and if the market takes a while to correct, then maybe the pay back period is "only" a decade instead of 2?