Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus smart meter installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was ultimately why I left octopus - their fixed tariff is eyewatering and i was stuck on it for 6 months.. it just didn't make sense any more. Move to yorkshire and my monthly bill dropped 40% overnight.

If stuck waiting for a meter install or to get a meter working just ask to be put on the Tracker Tariff.

Not as good as Agile, but close enough while you wait.

If stuck waiting for a meter install or to get a meter working just ask to be put on the Tracker Tariff.

Not as good as Agile, but close enough while you wait.

We tried but this was their answer...

Hi <name>,

Unfortunately I cannot put you on the Tracker tariff as this does not work with economy 7 meters, which I can see that you have. I hope that helped, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Stay safe,
<name>

We tried but this was their answer...

Hi <name>,

Unfortunately I cannot put you on the Tracker tariff as this does not work with economy 7 meters, which I can see that you have. I hope that helped, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Stay safe,
<name>

Interesting, but I believe that is incorrect.

There is nothing about the tracker tariff that would have issues with an E7 meter, as it just needs to know the total consumption over the month and they can use their own method to split that down by day.

Unfortunately it is not a well understood tariff among a good number of the front -line staff...

That was ultimately why I left octopus - their fixed tariff is eyewatering and i was stuck on it for 6 months.. it just didn't make sense any more. Move to yorkshire and my monthly bill dropped 40% overnight.

I had 4 different engineers who couldn't get the meter working and the last one went on for about 10 minutes about octopus sending him on 'no hope' jobs and wasting his time.. their contractors don't think much of them..

Did the new company manage to get the Smart meter working?

Quick update on my meter, I changed to Octopus just before the Lockdown so didn't get a Smart Meter. Smart Meter was installed Last Friday, so emailed them to switch to Agile Friday and today got an email saying the meter is registered "Click here to agree to the terms" and I am now switching to Agile at Midnight tonight.

I thought that was pretty quick. I also signed up for ev.energy to take advantage of the rates which is all working.

Only problem is I won't have fast charging till Thursday...... Still pretty quick tho I thought

Reactions: Adopado and Roy W.
When I called Octopus a few days ago to progress my February request for a smart meter I was professionally, politely and firmly told ....a pre-lockdown schedule for "thousands" of installations together with almost as many added since that time means that to avoid raising false hopes they will not commit.

When I called Octopus a few days ago to progress my February request for a smart meter I was professionally, politely and firmly told ....a pre-lockdown schedule for "thousands" of installations together with almost as many added since that time means that to avoid raising false hopes they will not commit.

Yup, I’m sure if and when they reply to email it will be as you say. But I’ve suggested they might like to recompense in some way as there are cheaper non smart meter tariffs available with other suppliers if I’m going to be stuck on a dumb meter for a prolonged period.

it’s also mildly irritating that it seems they are not being done in order of applications from what I read here.

Yup, I’m sure if and when they reply to email it will be as you say. But I’ve suggested they might like to recompense in some way as there are cheaper non smart meter tariffs available with other suppliers if I’m going to be stuck on a dumb meter for a prolonged period.

it’s also mildly irritating that it seems they are not being done in order of applications from what I read here.
I was also told that sub contractors will be looking to book two 'local' installs in order to attempt both in one day.

Reactions: Masklin

Unfortunately any attempt to do them in application order would have the engineers spending more time driving than changing meters, so they just move from area to area hitting as many as possible close together.

For the moment you may want to ask them to move you to the Tracker Tariff, that doesn’t need a smart meter.

Reactions: Masklin
I just had my Octopus Smart Meters installed today. Not sure about application order, I applied to Switch to Octopus on the 28th Feb, completed the Switching process on the 16th March. At the same time registered my interest to go to a Smart meter. Unfortunately this coincided with the COVID lock-down. No biggie since my car was also on a delayed delivery. Finally received my car on the 4th June. Followed up with an email on 25th of June asking about statuses of meter installs and requesting someone to actually contact me back now that lock-down was lifted. Got an appointment allocated to me on the next day for initially the 8th Jul. However had to re-schedule to the 15th due to work commitments.

So it would be worth an email to Customer Service rather than just signing up to a waiting list.

Back to the meter install itself, had a SMET2 meter installed for both electricity and gas.Very impressed with the whole process.
Had a phone call the previous day to confirm any special requirements for social isolation. Anyone vulnerable in the house etc, requests for gloves and masks to be worn at all times (by the engineer).

On the day of the install, the guy that showed up was very professional, whilst he had to come into the house to test the gas appliances electrical socket he kept any contact to a minimum, I especially made note that he used his elbow to open any door handles and for me to operate any appliances on his behalf.

I was worried about a refusal for a SMET2 meter from reading other posts on this forum because the reception in my area is pretty poor, I literally have to keep my phone against the upstairs window to receive any reception. However the engineer that installed the meter told me that the sim card they use is a roaming type and is not fixed to any particular network, it will use whichever that has the strongest signal. Failing that it is also possible to piggyback onto the house's own wifi network as a last resort. He tested the reception from the meters and they were quite strong. So all good there.

A couple of hours later I had a visit from an internal auditor working for Octopus who double checked the installer's work and did some additional testing which was reassuring.

All in all, a happy customer and can't wait to be switched to the Go tariff, although to be honest, even on the standard tariff it is still way cheaper on the fuel than my old diesel car, so I don't really mind.

Even worse, I had a smart meter already, switched to them and they can't get it to work and won't even come and look at that. Now I'm stuck on their standard tariff for the foreseeable.
I've now moved to the Tracker tariff after asking for it specifically, despite being told two weeks ago that the variable tariff I was on was the cheapest available. After pushing and pushing they've said they expect to get an engineer out to look at my meters within 10 weeks. Not great, but at least they've given some kind of timescale, something they were very, very reluctant to do.