Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd logistics question. Need to change wheels myself in dealer parking lot to reset TPMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to figure out the best way to take delivery of my Model X, but I have an odd logistical issue that I am trying to figure out the best way to handle.

I am getting a p90DL but it has the standard wheels. I will be swapping them out for some beautiful black forged 21" wheels. I didn't want to go all the way to 22" due to our crappy roads and I was concerned about the 40lbs weight per wheel. So I found a 26lb, 21" perfect wheel and I'll be using pirelli scorpion Verde tires with have a really low rolling resistance and high tread wear.

The logistical issue is with the the TPMS sensors in the X. Apparently whenever you change wheels, you need to pay the dealer $90 to reset the sensors as it can't be done by the owner. So every winter and summer wheel change, I'll have to drive to the dealer and pay them to reset them. (but only after I change the wheels myself, as they aren't allowed to put on non tesla wheels.)

My dilemma is that when I take delivery, I'd like to have them put on the new wheels (which I will be installing new tesla tpms sensors in beforehand). I'd bring the wheels along and have them switch them out. But, they aren't allowed to put my wheels on. So my options are:

1. I bring a jack along and change the wheels myself in the dealer parking lot. The service manager said I could do this. Then they would reset the tpmrs. I'd bring the new wheels with the sensors already installed. Kinda crazy to stand in a parking lot and do this, but that is the only way around the tesla rule.

or

2. I leave with the factory 20" wheels and have a shop that is allowed to touch the wheels take the tpms sensors out of the factory wheels and install them in the new wheels. I don't know if the sensors need to be "Reset" after this or not. If so, I'd have to drive back to the dealer and pay them $90 to reset, which I am trying to avoid that drive. Does anyone know if moving the sensors from one wheel to another requires a tpms reset? If the tpms doesn't require a reset, this makes the most sense.

thanks.

tony c.

ps. I wonder when the car goes in for service if they notice the air pressure is low if they are allowed to put air in the tires on tesla wheels.

I have a Model S and just changed the wheels last week. The car first complained about an error with the TPMS. Then after two or three drives, it prompted me to initialize the TPMS and is fine. It is pulling the tire pressure from the new set. I do not think you should need service to handle this.

I was told that the model X does not allow for owner reset. Only the S does. Is that incorrect? I planned on buying the TPMS from tesla, but they won't put the wheels on the X that contain the TPMS sensors since they are aftermarket wheels. So that means I need to take delivery, put the wheels on myself with the tesla tpms sensors, then go back to the dealer to have them reset. I am trying to avoid the 2:30 minute trip time.

image.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike
I won't have the X until next week, but the service manager told me that on the X, it must be done at the dealership. here is a thread on it. if that isn't the case, my problem will be solved and I won't have to change my wheels in my suit in the parking lot of the tesla dealer! Model X TPMS
I doubt the service manager told you it had to be done at the "dealership", as Tesla doesn't have dealerships, it has company stores and service centers. That's one of the best things about Tesla-- you avoid the auto dealer cartel. People are so in the habit of calling the place where they buy a car a "dealership" they sometimes don't realize there are other business models.

@TexasEV, thanks for clarifying that they aren't actually dealerships. I am sure everyone reading this post about tpms sensors was really confused as to what i was talking about! Google and Edmunds are making the same error.

When I asked the service manager if I could change the wheels myself in the dealership parking lot, he said yes. He probably should have corrected me right then and there which would have helped avoid all the confusion I caused. Sorry about that!

View media item 115739