Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My CCS1 Adapter showed up the day I dropped my car off for an in-warranty HV battery replacement so I won't be able to test it out until I get the car back. I do have a couple of trips where this would make my drive easier and my car is already CCS1 Enabled. Round trip drives of a few hours to random off-highway cities or staying in an area and driving around when not close to a supercharger are two of the more common ones where charging is a challenge that I've come across.

My CCS1 Adapter showed up the day I dropped my car off for an in-warranty HV battery replacement so I won't be able to test it out until I get the car back. I do have a couple of trips where this would make my drive easier and my car is already CCS1 Enabled. Round trip drives of a few hours to random off-highway cities or staying in an area and driving around when not close to a supercharger are two of the more common ones where charging is a challenge that I've come across.
What year is your car? How many miles on the original HV battery?

Is there any info on when in first quarter 2023 the CCS upgrade for earlier model 3 will happen. I have read on multiple sources that the upgrade will be made available in first quarter. Is that January 2023, March, June or ever? I am waiting for the upgrade to do more cross country travelling. I have already done 1000+ mil trips but i am always nervous about the charge. And sometimes ABRP tells me i need to limit my speed to 55 mph. I would prefer to have more charging stations available.

For Model 3 owners with CCS adaptors, what is the charge rate to charge 200 mi at commercial chargers?
It depends on a few things:

• The speed of the charger, which can be 50kW, 75kW, 150kW, etc.
  • Whether the specific charger you're at shares load with other vehicles, i.e. if you're at a 150kW charger and it's splitting load between you and the next person over, you may each be getting 75kW (or more, or less, depending on other factors).
  • Your car's "capability" to DC fast charge at that time, based on factors like battery temperature, State-of-Charge, etc.
  • Finally, how efficient you drive that 200 miles.
As an example, say you drive 200 miles at an average of 250Wh/mi efficiency, that's 50kWh of energy (200mi*250Wh/mi). Then you go to a charger which is capable of 150kW, but your battery isn't preconditioned, your state of charge isn't super low (you're in an LR), you want to charge to 80%, and there's someone in the next stall over, possibly getting load split to them, so you don't get the full 150kW charge speed the entire time, you average about 73kW. To charge up the 50kWh capacity of your battery to drive that 200 miles at 73kW, it takes you 0.685 hrs (50kWh/73kW), or about 41 mins.

(I, admittedly, chose some convenient numbers that roughly match the last time I charged at an Electrify America station, which was 46.069kWh in 38 mins, but the above calculation should still be illustrative, unless I'm very bad at math and units).

Oh, I just realized you might mean cost by “charge rate”. If that’s the case, I’ve been seeing $0.43/kWh from Electrify America as the nominal rate (about $21 for the above example) but they have been giving complimentary sessions for the last two months at my local one, so it’s been free.

Reactions: brjr
Can someone tell me please IF and WHERE i can have my Model 2, manufactured early June 2020, upgraded to CCS1 on compatible charging?

There is no official retrofit yet. When its available you will likely see it in this thread, or in your app where it says "Retrofits coming in 2023" right now.

If you are asking someone to do the "DIY" part for you, then you need to keep looking for that.

yep, as of this morning.

i would imagine that doing the retrofit yourself with the current DIY method is still going to end up being significantly cheaper than having tesla retrofit it, at least for the older cars. i bought the ECU and bundle of wires together for $220 shipped, install was a breeze. i can't imagine the tesla retrofit is going to be anywhere near that cheap.
Can you tell me how or where to purchase the retrofit parts? My local dealer denied even knowing about the CCS Adapter.
Thanks

Can you tell me how or where to purchase the retrofit parts? My local dealer denied even knowing about the CCS Adapter.
Thanks

i bought the ECU and bundle of wires together from 2muchsun, but i don't believe he's selling the ECU any longer (i think you can still get the bundle of wires from him)...

you should be able to get the ECU directly from tesla if you can find a SC that will sell it to you, otherwise you might be able to get it on ebay (however on ebay it's probably still extremely overpriced due to scarcity).

everything you need to know is in this thread:

TL;DR - basically, once you have the ECU and the bundle of wires, it's a drop in replacement. you just peel back the trunk lining, replace the old ECU with the new one, and then connect it with the bundle of wires and board in-between in the correct spot (there are three harnesses that connect to the ECU, i don't remember off the top of my head exactly which one it connects to). again, all the info you need is in that thread.

If the country ends up accepting Tesla's NACS then these adapters will be a waste of money. So I'm probably going to wait and see what happens before buying an adapter and getting the retrofit.
NACS ain't happening. Tesla is a few years late with that one. Perhaps a Rivian or Lucid add a NACS port in addition to a CCS port, but I highly doubt CCS is going away in this country.