Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. It is the Tesla CCS ECU, the only diff is that the port on the older Model 3s is not heated and the temp sensors are different. Both issues are taken care of by the bundle of wires that the older 3s need. And the worst that can happen is that Tesla releases their OFFICIAL retrofit and it has some cool feature and you feel you have to spend another $140 on it. More likely they come out with a software update for the older cars and the bundle of wires can be removed.
Okay, so where would I get this? Or how do I make it?

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and Resist
That's just what I read somewhere, so clearly it was internet FUD.
it does throw codes when you first swap the ECU, but that's why the software reinstall is necessary (and that immediately fixes everything). I wonder if that's what you're thinking of.

to anyone reading: don't let this deter you from doing the DIY retrofit. it works.
I have the bundle of wires and the ECU. Waited for a new update. Got that too.
Downloaded it, and was going to do the install the next day.
Pressed schedule install, so I had the download for later.
Then. …
It downloaded on its own overnight. :(
Now I have to wait again. Ugh.
Is there another way to re-install the software I have, so I don’t have to wait. ?

I have the bundle of wires and the ECU. Waited for a new update. Got that too.
Downloaded it, and was going to do the install the next day.
Pressed schedule install, so I had the download for later.
Then. …
It downloaded on its own overnight. :(
Now I have to wait again. Ugh.
Is there another way to re-install the software I have, so I don’t have to wait. ?
You can put the car into service mode and reinstall the last installed firmware.

Put the car in service mode:
1) Open Settings from the car icon
2) Click on Software
3) Long Press on the Model 3 wording
4) Enter 'service' into the popup
5) Select Enable when prompted
6) Choose Software Reinstall from buttons

7) Choose Exit Service Mode button if you are not going to do this right now as driving is complicated by service mode

2) Click on Software

7) Exit Service Mode if you are not going to do this right now as driving is complicated by service mode
Thanks. And does it come out of service mode on its own after the reinstall, or is there a procedure to take it out ?

Thanks. And does it come out of service mode on its own after the reinstall, or is there a procedure to take it out ?

if I remember correctly it'll still be in service mode after the reinstall, you just press the exit service mode button that was mentioned earlier once it is finished.

I might be wrong on that though, I did mine a few months ago so I don't remember if it leaves service mode after the install or not.

Reactions: M109Rider
2) Click on Software

7) Choose Exit Service Mode button if you are not going to do this right now as driving is complicated by service mode
All worked as above. New ECU installed with the bundle of wires.
The Service mode process worked great. No need to wait for another update.
I did disconnect the 12volt and high voltage battery though. Some said it wasn’t needed, but I’m not messing with that risk, since it’s easy to disconnect those.
CCS Enabled now !