Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the gist of it is, arriving at a non tesla fast charger with a cooler pack is not really going to hurt the pack so much as cause charge speeds to be reduced. The rates should reduce down to a place where the pack will not be damaged by the cooler temperatures and the act of charging should bring the pack temps up allowing for rates to increase without the risk of damage. The temps increasing due to charging occurring will sadly come too late to take advantage of the huge initial surge potential but it should help prevent excessive wear.

I'm sure this has been beaten to death but for those of you who are buying it, What are your use cases that justify it? Personally, I live in the northeast where we have pretty good supercharger coverage so I don't see myself finding this useful but I'm curious to hear where in NA there's a good CCS network without a good SC network
I travel a fair bit (Seattle to Ohio and back plus a few trips to Colorado) and a CCS adapter would have been helpful a handful of times for us. Certainly worth the price for our use case.

So I wasn't interested in getting the new Tesla CCS adapter because there are lots of Superchargers in my area and along the routes I travel for trips. I never thought about getting any adapter, I haven't even used the included J1772 adapter yet. And paying $250 for the CCS adapter, then probably another $500 to $1k for the retrofit is not appealing to me at all, and Tesla isn't doing the retrofits until sometime next year. But now I'm kind of rethinking it, as having more charging options is always a good thing, especially when free charging specials happen. I liked it when Tesla gives free charging days now and then. What gas station does that for ICE vehicles? NONE! But I do wish we had one charging plug standard. Could you imagine if gas stations used different hose nozzles and we had to carry adapters to use them? Someone needs to pick the most reliable plug and make that the standard. I'm thinking Tesla's is smaller, pretty simple and works better than the others. Open up the cabinet of an EA charger and compare it to a Supercharger cabinet, the EA is a wiring mess while the Supercharger is clean and simple.

Reactions: drdumont
So I wasn't interested in getting the new Tesla CCS adapter because there are lots of Superchargers in my area and along the routes I travel for trips. I never thought about getting any adapter, I haven't even used the included J1772 adapter yet. And paying $250 for the CCS adapter, then probably another $500 to $1k for the retrofit is not appealing to me at all, and Tesla isn't doing the retrofits until sometime next year. But now I'm kind of rethinking it, as having more charging options is always a good thing, especially when free charging specials happen. I liked it when Tesla gives free charging days now and then. What gas station does that for ICE vehicles? NONE! But I do wish we had one charging plug standard. Could you imagine if gas stations used different hose nozzles and we had to carry adapters to use them? Someone needs to pick the most reliable plug and make that the standard. I'm thinking Tesla's is smaller, pretty simple and works better than the others. Open up the cabinet of an EA charger and compare it to a Supercharger cabinet, the EA is a wiring mess while the Supercharger is clean and simple.
There's a change.org campaign to get the fast charger connection be Tesla's and not one of the other bulky connections.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
I absolutely hate that CCS is the standard and not the Tesla connector. I think Tesla did this to themselves by not making thir connector open and non-proprietary and offering it to anyone wanting to use it. By keeping it locked down they killed their superior connector themselves.

Maybe they could reverse this by fully opening it up now while still offering some CCS ability at their chargers. Allowing the other auto makers to make future cars using the Tesla connector would be a big selling point since Tesla Superchargers are the best DCFC options hands down.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
I also think that current CCS plug will be replaced in not so far future. Just like USB-C is now the new usb standard, ccs will also evolve.
Though we see how painful and slow going to USB-C has been (created in 2014) and that wasn't even on a $50K+ piece of equipment or dealing with changing out an insane amount of money worth of charging installations. I'm pretty sure the only reason Tesla is adding CCS now is because they are legally obligated to do so with all the gov funding they accepted to increase charging installs.

If CCS changes I think it would require some drastic need brought by a new technology that is impossible to do otherwise and even then it will probably take 10+ years to fully implement after the need is created.

The only way I can still see going around this is if Tesla opens up their current connectors and maybe even directly subsidizes their use or a gov mandate is made.

What codes have been thrown. I’m planning on doing this retrofit. Would be curious to know how many are getting these errors, and possible reasons why ?
There are none. I know of two that didn't work right away due to not assembling the wiring harness connector correctly (it was sold as a DIY kit that one had to assemble the pins into). Those were easily fixed.

Exactly. It is the Tesla CCS ECU, the only diff is that the port on the older Model 3s is not heated and the temp sensors are different. Both issues are taken care of by the bundle of wires that the older 3s need. And the worst that can happen is that Tesla releases their OFFICIAL retrofit and it has some cool feature and you feel you have to spend another $140 on it. More likely they come out with a software update for the older cars and the bundle of wires can be removed.

Shame that TMC closed down the thread where people were supporting each other on this issue w/o any thought or examination of why they did it

Reactions: M109Rider
I did the retrofit of the new charging ECU. The main issue is having the doors and trunk open before disconnecting the relay for the main battery otherwise you can lock yourself out. I had an error code to start and once I did the software update from Tesla, it works fine with CCS charging now, The free charging at EA charging stations is nice as well.

Reactions: M109Rider
UPS dropped off my CCS adapter today. I had previously set up an account with Electrify America, but have never stopped there. Figured I ought to test it.

Unlike Tesla's Supercharger network, which knows instantly who you are when you plug in and just automatically bills the card you've got associated with the account... the Electrify America mobile app has you explicitly load a predetermined amount into your account. This despite your having a credit card associated with the account. Kinda like pulling into a gas station in an ICE car, wanting to pay with cash, and having to calculate how much energy you want to buy and how much it's gonna cost, so you can pre-pay for it.

So before I left I dutifully loaded $40 into the account.

Ambient temps were in the mid-60's (Fahrenheit), my pack temp was 80.6, and I was only a a couple miles from the Walmart where the EA chargers were located. I didn't want to DC Fast Charge at that low a temp. Not because I wanted a hotter pack so I would see greater throughput - I could care less about that - but because of battery health.

Fortunately, there was a Tesla Supercharger a couple hundred feet from the EA location, so I just set the Nav for that. Preconditioning started immediately and the pack began coming up to temp fairly quickly. When I plugged into the EA charger a few minutes later, my pack was about 100F.

Interestingly, the EA charger never prompted me to ID myself or pay for anything. It just started charging once I plugged in, just as a Tesla Supercharger would. I assume that has something to do with the free promotion EA is reportedly running. My guess is you'd normally have to go through several steps in the mobile app before it'd start sending electrons.

It all worked perfectly fine. I stopped the charge after receiving 5 kWh.

The adapter seems very well built. Heavier than you'd expect. And it's pretty painless to use.

I'd venture that its biggest weakness is the inability to directly manage pack temps. You don't want to DC Fast Charge into a pack that's not pretty well heated. And since most of us who buy this adapter do so as a backup if a Tesla Supercharger isn't around... navigating to a nearby Supercharger like I did isn't going to be an option. You can, of course, nav to a more distant Supercharger. But that may not help your pack temp all that much (I'll note that when the "preconditioning battery" alert comes on your screen that doesn't mean your battery is being actively heated. Oftentimes that heating doesn't trigger until you're much closer to the Supercharger location.)

View attachment 858277

View attachment 858278

View attachment 858279
Am I reading your license plate right? One Sh!t? If so, that is funny!