Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the country ends up accepting Tesla's NACS then these adapters will be a waste of money. So I'm probably going to wait and see what happens before buying an adapter and getting the retrofit.
That's not going to happen anytime soon, and probably never given the lack of a NACS to CCS1 adapter, In the meantime my CCS1 to NACS adapter really increases my options for charging, especially in remote areas.

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
Now that the specifications are out there I wonder how long it will be before there is a NACS to CCS1 adapter. Guess it won’t sell too well if you can’t charge with it, so Tesla will need to change who can charge, and it won’t work too well for Rivians and other cars with weird charge port positions, although one thing the adapter could include would be an extension cord…

Now that the specifications are out there I wonder how long it will be before there is a NACS to CCS1 adapter. Guess it won’t sell too well if you can’t charge with it, so Tesla will need to change who can charge, and it won’t work too well for Rivians and other cars with weird charge port positions, although one thing the adapter could include would be an extension cord…
My guess is that Lectron is already working on one. (Just like they make/sell a NACS to J-1772 adapter. But as you said, there is currently no use for it, as Tesla hasn't opened the NACS Superchargers to non-Teslas.

If the country ends up accepting Tesla's NACS then these adapters will be a waste of money. So I'm probably going to wait and see what happens before buying an adapter and getting the retrofit.

it is going to be years before that potentially happens. you'd get YEARS of use out of the adapter before they changed enough existing chargers over to consider it a "waste of money."

Until the superchargers speak the CCS protocol, a simple adapter isn't happening. Right now they speak Tesla's proprietary protocol which Tesla did not include in the NACS "release"

Until the superchargers speak the CCS protocol, a simple adapter isn't happening. Right now they speak Tesla's proprietary protocol which Tesla did not include in the NACS "release"
We don't actually know that. The software exists, and for all we know already runs on ALL Superchargers worldwide. If it doesn't run on NA SpCers it could likely be installed with the wave of a hand, but sadly that's all behind the scenes.

NACS ain't happening. Tesla is a few years late with that one. Perhaps a Rivian or Lucid add a NACS port in addition to a CCS port, but I highly doubt CCS is going away in this country.
Aptera is supposedly going to use the Tesla "NACS" port. But their car is an extreme niche vehicle. Very impressive in its efficiency, but nowhere near a mainstream EV.

I'd really like to see Chevy (with its upcoming Silverado, Blazer and Equinox EVs) or one of the larger manufacturers use the Tesla port (either in addition to or in place of CCS1), but Tesla is about ten years late to that party. If they had done this in 2012 when the first Model S cars were rolling out of Fremont, it would likely have been a done deal.

Reactions: edseloh
They did this, it's been available to use this whole time. Elon kept asking other car companies to join them in building the Supercharging network. They could have built it much faster with help.

No other manufacturer wanted to pay for a charging network, they don't pay for fueling stations. No other manufacturer wanted to build electric cars, they only built compliance cars. The standards committee reflected the opinion of auto manufacturers and was a standard that only a mother could love.

Now that the government has realized that EVs mostly suck because the charging network sucks they have thrown billions into fixing the problem. So WHY again would you think Tesla would have given away their tech in 2012? Were there billions on the line?

Reactions: DrGriz
We don't actually know that. The software exists, and for all we know already runs on ALL Superchargers worldwide. If it doesn't run on NA SpCers it could likely be installed with the wave of a hand, but sadly that's all behind the scenes.
I know of at least one individual who installed an EU charge ECU (has CCS support but no CAN support) in a country that was transitioning from NACS to CCS2. His car no longer worked on the TPC superchargers. The post is somewhere in the retrofit thread

So if the hardware exists, it almost certainly still needs a software switch to be flipped.

They did this, it's been available to use this whole time. Elon kept asking other car companies to join them in building the Supercharging network. They could have built it much faster with help.
Available but not free. Tesla required full patent access for anyone who wanted to join them. If they had made it actually free and fully documented years ago, who knows, something could have changed. But let's not kid ourselves, Tesla never wanted it to be any kind of open standard. They like the situation as it is right now -- Tesla cars can charge anywhere, and the competition can only charge at non-Tesla fast chargers.

It's a great strategy, to be honest. Though I wish they'd focus less on creating a walled garden and more on getting autopilot to work as well as everyone else.

I'm sure this has been beaten to death but for those of you who are buying it, What are your use cases that justify it? Personally, I live in the northeast where we have pretty good supercharger coverage so I don't see myself finding this useful but I'm curious to hear where in NA there's a good CCS network without a good SC network
Traveling from from Kansas City to Phoenix. There’s three separate 40-minute SuperCharger stops (Wichita, KS, Oklahoma City, OK, and Amarillo, TX), if you plan your route Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico. It’s still a 24+ hour trip, however, so if you’re not strapped for time, you can burn an extra hour, and take a more scenic route through Colorado. It’s those 40 minute SuperCharger stops that induce range anxiety, especially if the temps are 90-100 degrees outside and the AC is churning. The odds of there being just one additional CCS location at some random Walmart along my route is enough to mentally justify the small price of the CCS adapter. People willing to freely drop $45k-$60k on an EV, while balking at a $300 “backup CCS” charging option, is so oddly curious to me. You’re saving between $200-$300 per month on gas/oil/maintenance. Give yourself the CCS option, and then hope you never need to use it. Like life insurance (in this case, maybe literally?). Unless you have the newer iPhone 14 that enables satellite text messaging when you’re driving without cell tower access, and run out of charge. My range anxiety will reduce to zero driving across Wyoming, or the Mojave, when I can send a satellite text message without a cellular tower signal.

Traveling from from Kansas City to Phoenix. There’s three separate 40-minute SuperCharger stops (Wichita, KS, Oklahoma City, OK, and Amarillo, TX), if you plan your route Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico. It’s still a 24+ hour trip, however, so if you’re not strapped for time, you can burn an extra hour, and take a more scenic route through Colorado. It’s those 40 minute SuperCharger stops that induce range anxiety, especially if the temps are 90-100 degrees outside and the AC is churning. The odds of there being just one additional CCS location at some random Walmart along my route is enough to mentally justify the small price of the CCS adapter. People willing to freely drop $45k-$60k on an EV, while balking at a $300 “backup CCS” charging option, is so oddly curious to me. You’re saving between $200-$300 per month on gas/oil/maintenance. Give yourself the CCS option, and then hope you never need to use it. Like life insurance (in this case, maybe literally?). Unless you have the newer iPhone 14 that enables satellite text messaging when you’re driving without cell tower access, and run out of charge. My range anxiety will reduce to zero driving across Wyoming, or the Mojave, when I can send a satellite text message without a cellular tower signal.
According to Plugshare you could probably drive the entire route using EA or other DCFC stations.

Hello,

I figured I would add this to the discussion in case it is worth anything but my wife ordered me the Model Y illuminated door sill plates for christmas but it looks like tesla sent the ccs combo 1 adapter retrofit kit instead. the store page for the ccs adapter says to check back in a few weeks if a retrofit kit is needed so they must have a bunch of these ready to ship. I have already had her create a return shipping label and told her to indicate that wrong item was sent. I have attached some pics of the part number from the box and the contents. I was not able to find this part number "(P) 1652001-00-A or (S)SB7S21352J08644. The description reads KIT, RETROFIT, GENIII, MS, CCS1 ADAPTER, NA. I am guessing this means this is made for a model S?

The contents seem to include the ccs 1 adapter, a wire harness, some wire ties and some sort of clamp for the ties. The part number of the plastic metail piece that has plugs for wires and bolts to mount to the chassis is part number P1495149-00A. there is also SQNT210842004ZM0. not sure if that is a part serial number or not. We will just have to reorder the sill plates I guess and based on prior experience I expect tesla to take about a month to refund the card even though I am one shipping day away from the return service center.

Sorry if these images are a little big.

IMG_3226.JPG
IMG_E3225.JPG
QSTME7868.JPG
WBDME6556.JPG

Hello,

I figured I would add this to the discussion in case it is worth anything but my wife ordered me the Model Y illuminated door sill plates for christmas but it looks like tesla sent the ccs combo 1 adapter retrofit kit instead. the store page for the ccs adapter says to check back in a few weeks if a retrofit kit is needed so they must have a bunch of these ready to ship. I have already had her create a return shipping label and told her to indicate that wrong item was sent. I have attached some pics of the part number from the box and the contents. I was not able to find this part number "(P) 1652001-00-A or (S)SB7S21352J08644. The description reads KIT, RETROFIT, GENIII, MS, CCS1 ADAPTER, NA. I am guessing this means this is made for a model S?

The contents seem to include the ccs 1 adapter, a wire harness, some wire ties and some sort of clamp for the ties. The part number of the plastic metail piece that has plugs for wires and bolts to mount to the chassis is part number P1495149-00A. there is also SQNT210842004ZM0. not sure if that is a part serial number or not. We will just have to reorder the sill plates I guess and based on prior experience I expect tesla to take about a month to refund the card even though I am one shipping day away from the return service center.

Sorry if these images are a little big.

You could probably sell that for way more than you paid... But it is good to know that the part exists and that they might be stocking it in advance of making it available.

Reactions: DrGriz