Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM Replacement Tire Alternatives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are you guys doing. We have almost 40k miles on our Model3 with 19’s and they have at least another 5k on them.
For replacements check tirerack.com

Wondering the same thing... I'm at 24k miles in 7 months on the stock 19" tires and they've still got plenty of life. I'd guess they'll last at least another 10k miles. Really surprised to see people are barely getting 15k miles out of their tires. I do mostly highway driving and frequently mash the pedal just to have some fun, so I'm not sure why others aren't lasting as long as ours are.

If you want a sporty 3-season tire, I love the Pirelli P Zero Nero GTs on my LR RWD 18". Wore out the stock rears at about 15k. The wear was bad in the center of the tire but not so much on the sides indicating over inflation. The sticker on door jamb instructs 45psi which is where I kept the stock tires. I run the Pirellis at 38 rear & 42 front. They loose around 10% range (unscientifically). They're a little quieter than stock to my ear but not much. But the grip is fantastic!

Reactions: flynnstone
That’s an interesting point you bring up. When I replaced some previous Bridgestone on my SUV, with the Conti DWS06. I noticed that the Conti’s sat nicer on the rim and looked as if they were wider.

Edit: I just looked at the thread you linked. I’m my opinion the 255/40/18 are too wide for our rim, and I don’t think it’s worth the range cut by doing so. I’m going to be replacing my tires this fall, and am most likely going to put the DWS06 on. I can report back on how they sit and protect the edge of rim.
I have the 255/40/19's on my car and it is about a 7 or 8% range hit over the stock rubber and I really like these tires, more comfortable and handle much, much better, seems like this should have been the stock size especially since the speedo is dead on with this 27" tall tire vs. stock height of 26.4" ones

Reactions: dennisvab
I just replaced all four of my 18" tires at 21k miles. I selected Yokohama Advantage Sport A/S in the factory size, 245/35-18 and am very happy with them so far. They seem quieter than OEM and have great traction.

Where'd you get these? I am between these and the Bridgestone RE980s (likely from Costco).

EDIT: I'm in a RWD LR and just crossed 29,000. I need them before 30k. I think my lifetime Wh/m is in the 230s.

I have 27k (miles) on my M3 with at least another 5-10k to go on the 18” Michelin’s.

I think if you consider the additional weight of the car over most cars.
The significant torque over most cars.
The fun factor of more aggressive driving over most cars, I think you can see why the tires might wear quicker than most cars. :)

I’m totally fine with that trade off.

My BMW Tire’s may last longer than these, but I can’t even compare these two cars.
My Tesla is in a league of its own, so the trade off is all good with me.

I replaced my tires at 20,000 miles. I love the new ones. My only concern now is longevity. My energy consumption remained the same, even thought I went wider.

1. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
2. Changed to 255 / 40 ZR18 (I wanted wider tires to try and cover the wheels to protect from curb rash. These almost do it.
3. $600 with Road Hazard at Discount Tire. I paid for 2 and Michelin paid for 2 as my OEMs wore out faster than advertised.
4. I did a ton of research. I found these to be the highest rated at the time.
5. My Wh/M remained the sameish. i might ahve gone down maybe 20, but in a resent trip I took, I actually got better Wh/M between Super Chargers.
6. Noise is the same. No difference that I can tell.

Reactions: XLR82XS
I replaced my tires at 20,000 miles. I love the new ones. My only concern now is longevity. My energy consumption remained the same, even thought I went wider.

1. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
2. Changed to 255 / 40 ZR18 (I wanted wider tires to try and cover the wheels to protect from curb rash. These almost do it.
3. $600 with Road Hazard at Discount Tire. I paid for 2 and Michelin paid for 2 as my OEMs wore out faster than advertised.
4. I did a ton of research. I found these to be the highest rated at the time.
5. My Wh/M remained the sameish. i might ahve gone down maybe 20, but in a resent trip I took, I actually got better Wh/M between Super Chargers.
6. Noise is the same. No difference that I can tell.

I had to replace the 18" OEM MXM4s at 10,000 and got warranty coverage through Michelin too. Also installed PS4Ss at Discount Tire (at the spec size). They only gave me 1 tire even though my wear was twice as fast as yours. That's kind of annoying to find out that they covered the cost of 2 tires for you. What was your tread depth when they were replaced?

if you over inflate, sure you will have center tire wear......if you rotated them i would think they would see it and adjust accordingly

however, with rear wheel drive, one would think the weight is more in the back and would run more air there and less in the front.....i think that would average out there wear if you rotate every 5k

I had to replace the 18" OEM MXM4s at 10,000 and got warranty coverage through Michelin too. Also installed PS4Ss at Discount Tire (at the spec size). They only gave me 1 tire even though my wear was twice as fast as yours. That's kind of annoying to find out that they covered the cost of 2 tires for you. What was your tread depth when they were replaced?
Are you seeing any difference in efficiency with the PS4?