Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it's on purpose because places Starship will land likely won't have a full blown launch pad,

True, but all of the places that Superheavy will land will have landing pads (they're all on Earth). Both the Moon and Mars will be Starship-only launches and landings, w/o the booster. A few methalox-fueled Super-Draco's sprinkled around the top of Starship should provide enough landing thrust to allow early shutdown of the M-VAC Raptors (after slowing the descent, but before they kick up dangerous amounts of FOD material).

Recently my wife’s niece and her roommates stayed with us on their way to Florida. While she and one of her roommates went to the beach, we went for a walk with her other roommate at the local YMCA. On our way back, we stopped at the grocery store and my wife went in for a couple of items. The roommate decided to check out the front seat and I think he liked it. He may become the first one to use my referral code!

1683388954066.jpeg

Most of you have probably already seen this picture since our niece posted it on her Facebook page and she has a zillion friends. She captioned it “Bentley in a Tessie.”

Abbott and his cronies can suck it. All hot air and then backs the fossil fuel industry plus other negative things.
Tesla was playing the Yeehaw Texas 🤠 angle hard at this event. For the non-Americans who may not know, all of these flags everywhere were Texan flags, which are almost as common in the Lone Star State as American flags.

1683590431991.jpeg

Even the pre-show music selection was more Texan-friendly country and southern rock instead of Tesla’s usual techno electronic dance music.

The fact that Governor Abbott showed up at all and gave the message he did is important. The governor once again hailed Elon as the greatest entrepreneur in the world and declared that “we’re proud he calls Texas home. Elon Musk and Tesla are part of the Texas economic juggernaut…With this project and more, we will maintain our position as being the number one job generator in the United States of America.” Abbott called the new facility a key to the economic future and energy self-reliance of Texas and the nation.

Remember when Elon posted this poll just a few months before Gigafactory Texas was officially announced?

Today’s event and the ongoing lithium refinery development in Corpus Christi is another important step in Mordor gentrification. This is profoundly significant because Texas is — by far — the USA’s leading oil & gas producer and refiner. Texas as an independent country would be the world’s 4th-biggest producer of petroleum after Saudi Arabia, Russia, and the rest of the US.

Per the US Energy Information Agency:
  • Texas is the top crude oil- and natural gas-producing state in the nation. In 2021, Texas accounted for 43% of the nation's crude oil production and 25% of its marketed natural gas production.
  • Texas has the most crude oil refineries and the most refining capacity of any state. The 31 petroleum refineries in Texas can process a combined total of almost 5.9 million barrels of crude oil per calendar day—32% of the nation's refining capacity as of January 2021.

1683590646735.png

Source: US EIA, per Wikipedia

1683592827174.jpeg

Source: EIA, per Wikipedia

Maybe even more importantly, most of the engineering, business, finance and consulting portion of the O&G sector is centered in Texas, and especially in Houston. This means the industry’s leaders and corporate headquarters are overwhelmingly concentrated in Texas, even more so than the actual mining and refining facilities. For example, Houston has the HQ of 23 Fortune 500 companies and most of them are in O&G, including many of the world’s biggest such as ExxonMobil, Marathon, Occidental, ConocoPhillips, Phillips 66, Citgo, Halliburton, Baker Hughes, and Par Pacific.

The Houston metropolitan area comprises the largest concentration of petrochemical manufacturing in the world, including for synthetic rubber, insecticides, and fertilizers. It is the world's leading center for oilfield equipment construction, with the city of Houston home to more than 3,000 energy-related businesses, including many of the top oil and gas exploration and production firms and petroleum pipeline operators.[2]

In summary, Texas is *the* central hub for oil & gas in the entire world beyond OPEC+. And it’s changing, with Tesla leading the charge. Texas is the single most important place to win hearts and minds and show those who aren’t yet on board with the rapid transition to sustainable energy that this is the way to go.

Likewise for Corpus Christi in particular. Look at what sector is the top employer in Corpus Christi:

1683591697754.png

The Port of Corpus Christi is overwhelmingly dependent on exports of oil, liquified natural gas, fuels, and petrochemicals. It exports more crude oil than all other ports in the USA combined.

The Port of Corpus Christi is the nation’s leading export gateway for crude oil and No. 2 gateway for exports of liquefied natural gas….The Port of Corpus Christi, as of August 2022, holds roughly 60 percent of the U.S. crude oil market share.
In 2021, the top 5 commodities for the Port of Corpus Christi were:[12]

RankCommodityTonnage
1Crude Oil97,147,132 tons
2Petroleum56,481,127 tons
3Liquefied Natural Gas15,677,178 tons
4Dry Bulk7,079,607 tons
5Fuel Oil6,507,809 tons

Major private-sector employers in Corpus Christi include:
  • Bay, Ltd. (O&G)
  • Citgo (O&G)
  • First Data Corporation
  • Flint Hills Resources (O&G)
  • H-E-B
  • Kiewit Offshore Services (O&G)
  • Sam Kane Beef Processors
  • Valero Refining (O&G)
https://businessintexas.com/texas-regions/south-texas/corpus-christi/#:~:text=Corpus%20Christi's%20dynamic%20economy%20spans,and%20chemical%20and%20petroleum%20manufacturing.

Texas is oil and gas country. Corpus Christi is oil and gas country. But today their leaders stood in front of a glorious Cybertruck (Gigatruck?), encircled by dozens of flapping Texan, American and Tesla flags, to enthusiastically welcome the leading person and the leading company in the renewable energy transition, and they are selling it to their constituents as a massive boon for jobs and economic growth in the state and local region and are holding it up as an emblem of the business friendliness of Texas.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the oil & gas industry is Greg Abbott’s largest donor group, having contributed almost $6M or about 7% of his entire fundraising budget in 2022, according to OpenSecrets. Indirectly, even more of his funding comes from O&G via donations to his political party. In contrast, Abbott’s primary Texan rival, Beto O’Rourke, gets a comparatively tiny proportion of his budget from O&G-affiliated donors. Over the 21st century, Texas has been gradually becoming a more politically competitive state, and in 2022 O’Rourke put up a decent showing against Abbott by earning 44% of the vote. This all means that Abbott is not in an especially strong position to be annoying or threatening the O&G industry, yet he’s still praising Tesla and openly encouraging them to develop faster in Texas. You know, that company whose explicit mission is to stop the consumption of fossil fuels as fast as humanly possible and thereby put these companies out of business (except for maybe synthetic petrochemical synthesis with the Fischer-Tropsch process, but that’s another story). If any political leaders anywhere in the free world had a vested interest in slowing down Tesla’s expansion, it would be these folks, but fortunately that’s not what’s happening. Except for the auto stealership lobbying group, Tesla is facing apparently almost no opposition to rapid expansion deep in the heart of Texas, and this could have deep and far-reaching impact on the entire global oil & gas industry.

Tesla was playing the Yeehaw Texas 🤠 angle hard at this event. For the non-Americans who may not know, all of these flags everywhere were Texan flags, which are almost as common in the Lone Star State as American flags.

View attachment 935885

Even the pre-show music selection was more Texan-friendly country and southern rock instead of Tesla’s usual techno electronic dance music.

The fact that Governor Abbott showed up at all and gave the message he did is important. The governor once again hailed Elon as the greatest entrepreneur in the world and declared that “we’re proud he calls Texas home. Elon Musk and Tesla are part of the Texas economic juggernaut…With this project and more, we will maintain our position as being the number one job generator in the United States of America.” Abbott called the new facility a key to the economic future and energy self-reliance of Texas and the nation.

Remember when Elon posted this poll just a few months before Gigafactory Texas was officially announced?

Today’s event and the ongoing lithium refinery development in Corpus Christi is another important step in Mordor gentrification. This is profoundly significant because Texas is — by far — the USA’s leading oil & gas producer and refiner. Texas as an independent country would be the world’s 4th-biggest producer of petroleum after Saudi Arabia, Russia, and the rest of the US.

Per the US Energy Information Agency:

View attachment 935887
Source: US EIA, per Wikipedia

View attachment 935912
Source: EIA, per Wikipedia

Maybe even more importantly, most of the engineering, business, finance and consulting portion of the O&G sector is centered in Texas, and especially in Houston. This means the industry’s leaders and corporate headquarters are overwhelmingly concentrated in Texas, even more so than the actual mining and refining facilities. For example, Houston has the HQ of 23 Fortune 500 companies and most of them are in O&G, including many of the world’s biggest such as ExxonMobil, Marathon, Occidental, ConocoPhillips, Phillips 66, Citgo, Halliburton, Baker Hughes, and Par Pacific.

In summary, Texas is *the* central hub for oil & gas in the entire world beyond OPEC+. And it’s changing, with Tesla leading the charge. Texas is the single most important place to win hearts and minds and show those who aren’t yet on board with the rapid transition to sustainable energy that this is the way to go.

Likewise for Corpus Christi in particular. Look at what sector is the top employer in Corpus Christi:

View attachment 935888

The Port of Corpus Christi is overwhelmingly dependent on exports of oil, liquified natural gas, fuels, and petrochemicals. It exports more crude oil than all other ports in the USA combined.

Major private-sector employers in Corpus Christi include:
  • Bay, Ltd. (O&G)
  • Citgo (O&G)
  • First Data Corporation
  • Flint Hills Resources (O&G)
  • H-E-B
  • Kiewit Offshore Services (O&G)
  • Sam Kane Beef Processors
  • Valero Refining (O&G)
https://businessintexas.com/texas-regions/south-texas/corpus-christi/#:~:text=Corpus%20Christi's%20dynamic%20economy%20spans,and%20chemical%20and%20petroleum%20manufacturing.

Texas is oil and gas country. Corpus Christi is oil and gas country. But today their leaders stood in front of a glorious Cybertruck (Gigatruck?), encircled by dozens of flapping Texan, American and Tesla flags, to enthusiastically welcome the leading person and the leading company in the renewable energy transition, and they are selling it to their constituents as a massive boon for jobs and economic growth in the state and local region and are holding it up as an emblem of the business friendliness of Texas.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the oil & gas industry is Greg Abbott’s largest donor group, having contributed almost $6M or about 7% of his entire fundraising budget in 2022, according to OpenSecrets. Indirectly, even more of his funding comes from O&G via donations to his political party. In contrast, Abbott’s primary Texan rival, Beto O’Rourke, gets a comparatively tiny proportion of his budget from O&G-affiliated donors. Over the 21st century, Texas has been gradually becoming a more politically competitive state, and in 2022 O’Rourke put up a decent showing against Abbott by earning 44% of the vote. This all means that Abbott is not in an especially strong position to be annoying or threatening the O&G industry, yet he’s still praising Tesla and openly encouraging them to develop faster in Texas. You know, that company whose explicit mission is to stop the consumption of fossil fuels as fast as humanly possible and thereby put these companies out of business (except for maybe synthetic petrochemical synthesis with the Fischer-Tropsch process, but that’s another story). If any political leaders anywhere in the free world had a vested interest in slowing down Tesla’s expansion, it would be these folks, but fortunately that’s not what’s happening. Except for the auto stealership lobbying group, Tesla is facing apparently almost no opposition to rapid expansion deep in the heart of Texas, and this could have deep and far-reaching impact on the entire global oil & gas industry.

Long post, I applaud your efforts, buuuut:

Gov. Abbott, who has long shown an affinity for fossil fuels, has appointed all the PUC members, who now would act as gatekeepers for any renewable energy project.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
Long post, I applaud your efforts, buuuut:

I hear you. He is a politician and it would be astonishing and exceptional if he weren’t talking out of both sides of his mouth and doing contradictory things.

The point is that he showed up at all and said such positive things. Abbott could have decided not to attend this groundbreaking ceremony and he could have been less effusive in his praise for Elon and Tesla, and the same with the local officials. For instance, Samsung is currently building a much larger factory than Tesla’s lithium refinery for upwards of $20B invested into Texas, and it’s in the Austin area (much closer to where Abbott resides) but the governor did not attend their groundbreaking last year.

The bigger point is that Texas, more than anywhere else outside of OPEC and Russia, must be transformed if Tesla’s mission is to be completed. Texas simply can’t be ignored, and so I doubt it’s mere coincidence that Tesla decided to go set up shop there. Almost all of the thought leaders, executives and key employees in the O&G industry live in Texas, and if the mentality in this state changes then I think it will have profound ripple effects throughout the global hydrocarbon industry.

We are in the early stages of the breakup of Texas and oil, and it will be one of the ugliest, messiest, and most consequential divorces of all time. The fact that the Texan governor is doing this *at all* so early in the game, at a time when the local balance of power is still so heavily tilted in favor of O&G over renewables, is quite significant in my opinion. Considering who is paying for Abbott’s campaigns and considering the culture, history, and economic impact of the O&G industry in Texas, I would have expected closer to literally zero support at this point. Tesla showing up in Texas is like if a company on a mission to make corn farming obsolete were to establish a major nexus in Iowa and got the governor to roll out the red carpet for a grand welcome.

In the long run, Texas will become one of the world leaders in solar and wind. Geography and climate basically guarantees this outcome. In addition to having immense solar and wind resources and lots of flat open land, Texas also has a highly developed economy, a big manufacturing base, and convenient proximity to Mexico and its manufacturing base. Additionally, Texas’ manufacturing sector benefits from excellent logistics thanks to its central location, rail and highway infrastructure, and major deepwater ports on the Gulf of Mexico. Sooner or later, Texas will find out that the market demand for oil & gas is drying up while another energy goldmine is waiting right in their backyard to be exploited for development as fast as they can lay out panels on the prairie. There is too much money to be made for this opportunity to be ignored forever. The question is how fast this will happen. I think today’s event is another indication that Tesla is substantially helping accelerate the progress and by extension substantially accelerating their mission.

I had to look that up:
Screenshot_20230506_134535_Chrome.jpg
I had to look up that word a month or so ago when one of my posts got deleted for "doxxing." I was totally innocent, let me explain...oh, never mind.

I had paraphrased a song by David Crosby, may he rest in peace. Here's the old "doxxer" singing a portion of that song in the first minute of this NPR video:

This is just one of the reasons why Tesla owners get a bad rap:

The picture doesn't make sense to me...I suspect it was staged. The commentary implies that the rationale is to prevent someone from plugging in the car while the owner is away (which would generate idle fees, etc), to allow the owner to park there indefinitely.

However, as anyone who owns a Tesla should know, if the car is LOCKED then the charge port door shouldn't open (not by pushing on it, not by clicking the button on the Supercharger cable). Any real world Tesla driver would know this. Hence, putting the cable in there would be MORE work for the owner for NO benefit (other than being able to take a staged photo to post online).

The picture doesn't make sense to me...I suspect it was staged. The commentary implies that the rationale is to prevent someone from plugging in the car while the owner is away (which would generate idle fees, etc), to allow the owner to park there indefinitely.

However, as anyone who owns a Tesla should know, if the car is LOCKED then the charge port door shouldn't open (not by pushing on it, not by clicking the button on the Supercharger cable). Any real world Tesla driver would know this. Hence, putting the cable in there would be MORE work for the owner for NO benefit (other than being able to take a staged photo to post online).
Clearly, i know nothing based on my signature :) Maybe another futile attempt to paint Tesla owners as villians.

This is just one of the reasons why Tesla owners get a bad rap:

You mean because people spread false information and FUD?

Reports are that that vehicle has been in that spot for days, not moving. The theory is that something happened and the cable is fused to the charge port, and Tesla decided to replace the cable on the Supercharger so the car could be moved. I don't know why it hasn't been towed yet.

Also, the stall it is in is listed as down:

Last edited:
Sadly, this is what it looks like **after** some aggressive moderation. It was even worse before. Wish they could put a moratorium on new posters on this thread around events, seems like that's when they crawl out of the woodwork.

Reminder. The stock was up nearly 4.5% today and people want to rehash old garbage? Bleh.
Its hard to say whether it is old garbage, I would put it this way.

Right now, the stock is trading as if (a) Tesla is just a car company, albeit a successful one, and (b) that part of point (a) is things like FSD and even new products like the Cybertruck and even Model 2 are treated like a legacy company was coming out with a new model year -- i.e., like nothing.

Part of the stock's history is that the company is pledging to do extraordinary things, and the question for the market is "do you believe it?"

Believing it has a component of the public perception of the guy who seems to be making this all happen. I learn quite a bit in these forums during the politics stuff not banned. In this case though, its not Elon's politics, look at the posts, the problem is that for the stock to not be arbitrarily held down, you have to believe that when the CEO says something is going to happen its going to happen. FSD statements have not been great in this regard. Who cares how long ago they were made.

Similarly, tweets which evidence (f they are evidence of anything, by the way) the fact that the CEO is perfectly fine firing up a blunt or whatever and then amplifying stuff without doing any diligence at all -- well, how does one know that he's doing any diligence at Tesla? I mean, we know, but how about the broader public?

I know we have to do so but can we expect the broader market to compartamentalize Elon's statements? Like, don't pay any attention to most tweets but when something is said in an interview or shareholder meeting then you can take that to the bank?

People assume Bara is BS'ing all the time, and it shows.

Reactions: madodel
Its hard to say whether it is old garbage, I would put it this way.

Right now, the stock is trading as if (a) Tesla is just a car company, albeit a successful one, and (b) that part of point (a) is things like FSD and even new products like the Cybertruck and even Model 2 are treated like a legacy company was coming out with a new model year -- i.e., like nothing.

Part of the stock's history is that the company is pledging to do extraordinary things, and the question for the market is "do you believe it?"

Believing it has a component of the public perception of the guy who seems to be making this all happen. I learn quite a bit in these forums during the politics stuff not banned. In this case though, its not Elon's politics, look at the posts, the problem is that for the stock to not be arbitrarily held down, you have to believe that when the CEO says something is going to happen its going to happen. FSD statements have not been great in this regard. Who cares how long ago they were made.

Similarly, tweets which evidence (f they are evidence of anything, by the way) the fact that the CEO is perfectly fine firing up a blunt or whatever and then amplifying stuff without doing any diligence at all -- well, how does one know that he's doing any diligence at Tesla? I mean, we know, but how about the broader public?

I know we have to do so but can we expect the broader market to compartamentalize Elon's statements? Like, don't pay any attention to most tweets but when something is said in an interview or shareholder meeting then you can take that to the bank?

People assume Bara is BS'ing all the time, and it shows.
Speaking of BS. Can you cut take this Twitter whining BS where it belongs?

Because I'm tired of getting my replies deleted because I'm really sick of seeing this same endlessly retrod crap.