Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From my perspective, far too much emphasis here on TMC has been put on Elon's opinions. Elon is entitled to his own opinions surely as much as each of us hear on TMC. This may surprise many TMCers posting here today, that most only the Elon obsessed observers take offence if Elon shares different views than that of their own. Population wise that is probably a very small fraction far less than one percent of the car buying public. In my volunteer work driving Clients for a local charity, of the over 100 rides I have given so far, only one Client even mentioned Elon (it was a neutral comment), however all but one mentioned Tesla and wanted to know more about the Tesla EV they were sitting in.

The most often asked question, usually the first question, my Clients ask is where to charge and how long does it take to charge. I agree wholeheartedly with @Curt Renz in that the first ads should be telling people how easy to charge from home (if they have a designated power outlet) and the benefits of the proprietary Tesla Superchargers for long distance trips (and compatible with 3rd party charging sites). Tesla should stress their Superchargers take the anxiety out of range anxiety and helps set Tesla apart from the competition (the word 'competition' is used loosely).

Regarding the decline of TSLA share price, need look no further than this US based chart (below):
Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 8.15.08 PM.png

Earlier this week the Statistics Canada announced that the Inflation rate for April increased over from May, rising to 4.4% YOY citing high costs of mortgages/rent, food and gasoline. I would not be surprised if this uptick in Inflation also comes to other Countries like our neighbour to the South.
Inflation is sticky and it should not surprise if inflation has bottommed for now taking interest rates higher to combat. Interest rates need to get ahead of inflation. History shows recessions usually happen several months after the FED stops raising interest rates and starts lowering interest rates. We are not out of the woods yet. The vast majority of fixed rate mortgages have yet to be affected by the recent interest rate hikes (rate hikes at the fastest rate in history). Expect more pain in the general markets and more Banks and other companies to go insolvent in the months to come. This is a market phase and will not last forever. There will come a time when growth stocks will be again be in fashion and Tesla is primed to rise to the top. IMHO no better place to hold my money (money that is not needed within the next five years) than in TSLA.

While I support Elon's right to say what he wants to, I also do agree with your post and have seen similar responses from people I've talked to. Elon's behavior has had negative impacts on Tesla as a brand. The size of that impact is very open for debate of course, but the impact itself is real in my opinion.

Still, Tesla as a company is doing very well despite this impact. :cool:
Sadly I have started to hear strong anti Musk sentiment within my circle of friends too now. But I wonder if it has any business impact on Tesla. The reason is that I noticed that those of our friends who said things like "I've had it with Elon, so I would never buy a Tesla now" or "We want Twitter back" all have these things in common:
  • Consuming news from MSM
  • Using ultra-luxury premium credit cards (IMHO the ultimate sign of somebody who falls for marketing and is inept at cost/benefit analysis)
  • They keep buying new gas cars. (another sign that you can't do basic cost/benefit analysis, just buying what the ads or car magazines tells you to buy)
Tesla customers on the other hand tend to be people who think for themselves.

Tesla customers on the other hand tend to be people who think for themselves.
This is very true and exactly why marketing will likely be very successful. The large majority of people would not fit in that group (independent thinkers) and the other group is exactly who needs to be convinced to even consider buying a Tesla.

Like it or not, but Elon has alienated a lot of people and many of them will absolutely refuse to buy a Tesla. Some of these people may eventually come around once they've had time to forget about why they're virtue signaling and have been exposed to conventional advertising.

Interesting...Interesting...so what I've read over the past few days is that due to Tesla having the best product, Elon can say whatever he wants. THE ARROGANCE. Really shows the true colors in some of you. Thought this board was a bit different, but people have left and new ones arrived. Such a shame.

Not sure about you, but it wasn't a nice feeling watching Elon squirm around answering if the election was stolen or not. He couldn't even give a straight answer the first time...even after all the data that has come out.....and Tesla is all about data! This board is all about data.

Like it or not, but Elon has alienated a lot of people and many of them will absolutely refuse to buy a Tesla. Some of these people may eventually come around once they've had time to forget about why they're virtue signaling and have been exposed to conventional advertising.
I think it could be a wash as Tesla is now gaining conservative customers who would have never given an EV a chance.

Anecdotal only, but I have 2 very conservative co-workers who got Y’s this past quarter - largely due to my selling efforts and test drives - but also because they fully support Elon‘s moderate political views.

This is very true and exactly why marketing will likely be very successful. The large majority of people would not fit in that group (independent thinkers) and the other group is exactly who needs to be convinced to even consider buying a Tesla.

I look at it like this: Nestlé's former CEO said "Clean water is not a human right". I expect almost everyone is against this statement, which is far worse than anything Elon ever said. How many of you still purchase Nestlé's products?

"Former CEO" said one bad thing. See the difference?
He made the comments about water in 2005. He was elected chair of the Nestle BOD that same year. Did not step down as CEO until 2008, if there was some call-back to the statements he'd made previously it wasn't made into an issue at the time. Then he was made chairman of Formula 1 in 2012...

I don't really see this as being a super example of anything, but you should at least get your facts right.

Reactions: bkp_duke
Don't believe that was the reason he left. IIRC.

He made the comments about water in 2005. He was elected chair of the Nestle BOD that same year. Did not step down as CEO until 2008, if there was some call-back to the statements he'd made previously it wasn't made into an issue at the time. Then he was made chairman of Formula 1 in 2012...

I don't really see this as being a super example of anything, but you should at least get your facts right.
I neither said nor implied that's why he left, I simply pointed out that saying one should currently boycott Nestle for something a former CEO said is not the same as boycotting Tesla for what the current CEO is saying almost on a daily basis. I hope the distinction is now clear.

• Funny
Reactions: bkp_duke
Don't understand the discussion about communism etc. Has nothing to do with what anyone has suggested will have to happen.

Basic income does not mean equal income.
Meritocracy is a failure, the state (robots) can just take over supply and demand. These are both things written by the same poster.

If you do not understand how this is communism, I am envious of your naïveté.

Meritocracy is a failure, the state (robots) can just take over supply and demand. These are both things written by the same poster.

If you do not understand how this is communism, I am envious of your naïveté.
No it is a failure of your imagination. Basic income does not mean equal income. Reward is based on completely new metrics that are specific to human endeavour. Income and Reward may not even be money.

I was talking about the economy, and specifically products/services that people buy, not the stock market. The stock market has a gambling element to it, mixed in with predictions about future worth of very complex entities (companies).

The vast majority of purchases people make in a non inflationary or non scarce environment (gotta put all these ridiculous disclaimers in since someone will try to argue by coming up with a corner case that has nothing to do with the central argument), are made with regard to utility right now, not future utility.

The point being that a non-distorted capitalism model (which we don’t have, our economy has many distortions) prices goods according to their utility and availability. Look, this is Econ 101, why do I even have to argue this? It’s like arguing whether or not statistical mechanics works, or whether chemistry as a science works.
Perhaps the argument is that there exists too many ‘corner cases’ in the first place, such that the exception is the argument and the ‘corner case’ is the rule. Going forward that perspective doesn’t change.

I’d like to point out that people are inherently bad at predicting the outcome of that which they have no experience with. I recall all the ‘end of world’ arguments when Brexit was on the table and subsequently what happened. When the pandemic was ratcheting up. I recall all the ‘end of world’ arguments when Tesla decided to build the first battery factory, and when Tesla decided to do or not to do dozens of other things. When the competition was coming.

Literally the world has ended hundreds of times just on this thread alone. The universal basic income discussion, the robot ending humans’ need to work discussion is just another example of people’s lousy predictive abilities. We can’t know that which we’ve never experienced, but we’re sure going to talk like we have a clue.

The world is in constant change. Sometimes tiny changes, sometimes big changes.

A big change is coming.

• Love
Reactions: Nrkl