Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may seem off topic as it's about SpaceX but I fear this is so serious that it may affect TSLA on Monday. Renowned CNBC journalist Lora Kolodny just released a special investigative report which finds that SpaceX has sprayed water without even bothering to apply for a permit, putting the Gulf of Mexico and all its inhabitants at serious risk:

This may seem off topic as it's about SpaceX but I fear this is so serious that it may affect TSLA on Monday. Renowned CNBC journalist Lora Kolodny just released a special investigative report which finds that SpaceX has sprayed water without even bothering to apply for a permit, putting the Gulf of Mexico and all its inhabitants at serious risk:

Well, it IS the weekend, so...

Not hard to push up a small berm to hold the drainage of whatever smidgen of water is left after being vaporized by the firing of 33 Raptor engines. The remainder likely won't need much volume reserved for containment.

Reactions: FSDtester#1

I replied to her on Twitter as well. I wonder if this permit thing is applicable as it described as being needed for “industrial process wastewater”. SpaceX could have used other water than industrial process wastewater.

They might need the permit for actual use with launches and static fires, and yet not need it for water-only testing (either needing something less stringent or nothing at all, if they successfully argue it's big lawn sprinkler), after all, it's just water until you fire rocket exhaust into it, at which point it will be "contaminated" with "industrial process".

I replied to her on Twitter as well. I wonder if this permit thing is applicable as it described as being needed for “industrial process wastewater”. SpaceX could have used other water than industrial process wastewater.

That description is probably a catch-all, meaning that the water wasn't used for agriculture, instead, it was used in industry.

Despite there being a "Rocket Garden" on site, this use would likely be considered more industrial than it is agricultural for the scope of whatever statute is being applied.

It is weekend and this is OT .. got this message on my Model S last night " Maximum Charge Level Reduced "
tried charging last night and again this AM only added 1 mile of range to 91 miles ... sounds like a major battery issue any idea ?
there was not a lot on other threads .. seems like possible battery failure from other threads ... hard to believe as i saw no discernable range reduction over time ...

i come to this thread for quality answers ... other threads have too many complainers

Last edited:
It is weekend and this is OT .. got this message on my Model S last night " Maximum Charge Level Reduced "
tried charging last night and again this AM only added 1 mile of range to 91 miles ... sounds like a major battery issue any idea ?
there was not a lot on other threads .. seems like possible battery failure from other threads ... hard to believe as i saw no discernable range reduction over time ...

i come to this thread for quality answers ... other threads have too many complainers
Step 1 for me would be a message to service through the app. Someone will run a test on your battery remotely and probably have some answers for you within 24 hours.

The first thing to do is to try charging in a different location (L2 public charger or even the 120 V household current). Next try a Supercharger (if one is nearby) because it could be the on-board charger and not the battery. There is also a possibility it could be the electric utility's problem with not enough voltage, or a problem with the house wiring. There's a number of non-battery reasons why you might be getting this message.

The first thing to do is to try charging in a different location (L2 public charger or even the 120 V household current). Next try a Supercharger (if one is nearby) because it could be the on-board charger and not the battery. There is also a possibility it could be the electric utility's problem with not enough voltage, or a problem with the house wiring. There's a number of non-battery reasons why you might be getting this message.

???
I would expect a 'charging session terminated' message if the grid was bad, not a limit on pack SOC.
Maximum battery charge level reduced

???
I would expect a 'charging session terminated' message if the grid was bad, not a limit on pack SOC.
Maximum battery charge level reduced
I've actually seen that message, although once voltage is back up, the Tesla starts charging (FYI, the Leaf does not). That message means the charging rate is limited, not the SOC.

Is this your 2018 model? Then it should be under warranty. So contact Tesla.

Batteries are often like that. Work just fine until they suddenly do not.

My friend with a 2017 Model S just got a new refurbished battery when the original one suddenly got problems.