Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's because the vast majority of them are too small to fit anything other than an (original) Mini in and even then you wouldn't be able to open the door to get out. So most people end up parking their cars outside and filling the garage with all sorts of random stuff or even converting them into an office/family room.
Next house we get is going to have proper garage with all mod cons!
I once lived in a mews house near Paddington station. Thus my garage (nee stable) was the full width of my house and just had room for may Ferrari 308GT. When the car started the house shook. Were I to live there today there would b just enough space for a carefully parked Model S. The space and electricity then so no problem fitting in 30 Conduit mews W2 3RE. It is a trifle fashionable now. It was less so in 1980.

It is rather interesting to see Model 3 take top sales honors in many such crowded places from England to Singapore. No wonder the reality is increasingly obvious.
The Hertz deal(s), related Uber and others coming are demonstrating the value of continuous vehicle monitoring, OTA updates and minimal maintenance.

We all might reflect on the easy use of Tesla products in dense environments that were more commonly associated with Twizzys, Bolloré and so on. Even with the very large Model 3 (yes! Very large in this inner-urban context.). Even in Singapore Bolloré, for example has been successful also with small urban delivery vans, just as a number fo EU manufacturers have been.

So, I think it is quite likely that at least one or two evolving Tesla vehicles will end out being destined for inner-city use. Probably they will never see US use, but they are likely to be successful in those markets in a way that Smart never was.

We have had the odd post on this subject, some by me, but nearly all of us simply have no idea what an ancient inner-city core actually is like, nor how enormously useful such vehicles are. None, thus far, have technology integration that can facilitate automation of 'the traveling salesman problem' which is, for those without a statistics background, one of the most challenging optimization problems in the pre-handheld-supercomputer days. Even today there si only minimal attention paid to such optimization. Tesla can make micro-evs explicitly incorporating such logic. Suddenly Tesla will justify higher initial price..and so much more, even insurance.

Some of you are building some fine garages. I won’t tell you, though, that you’re still not thinking Mountain Garage (and perhaps you should), which includes such features as a full bath with washer and dryer, an office, and a storage/entertainment mezzanine. I’ll save y’all the jealous rage by not telling you it’s 40’ x 80.
Pffft. I’m waiting on a government property in Colorado to go up for surplus sale. Besides plenty of room for a garage it has a nice access and you can track Santa and incoming missles.
1635601865003.jpeg

Last edited:
Pffft. I’m waiting on a government property in Colorado to go up for surplus sale. Besides plenty of room for a garage it has a nice access and you can track Santa and incoming missles. View attachment 727453
Doesn't it also have a Stargate*? :rolleyes:
*(intergalactic Boring Company?)

Might be useful for spreading Tesla to other worlds ...

Last edited:
Some of you are building some fine garages. I won’t tell you, though, that you’re still not thinking Mountain Garage (and perhaps you should), which includes such features as a full bath with washer and dryer, an office, and a storage/entertainment mezzanine. I’ll save y’all the jealous rage by not telling you it’s 40’ x 80.
Pix or it ain't so. Jealous, yes.
Oh come on. Let's have us a peak! The real deal, not some anime sleight of hand. I think it's time to show us your cards. After all, we're all pals here, right?
🤓

Pix or it ain't so. Jealous, yes.
Oh come on. Let's have us a peak! The real deal, not some anime sleight of hand. I think it's time to show us your cards. After all, we're all pals here, right?
🤓
First off, we’re definitely not all pals here. Nobody is invited. Ever.

I don’t want people triangulating my position based on the type of trees and growth rates, altitude by the stars or satellite topography of burn scars to help @Unpilot out until all defenses are in place.

So for now, I’m okay with everyone thinking I’m 12 years old and it’s all an elaborate fantasy.

That's because the vast majority of them are too small to fit anything other than an (original) Mini in and even then you wouldn't be able to open the door to get out. So most people end up parking their cars outside and filling the garage with all sorts of random stuff or even converting them into an office/family room.
Next house we get is going to have proper garage with all mod cons!
I wouldn't mind, but mine can house 4 cars, 5 if I stack one on the four post lift with another below it. You know how many I can get in at the moment? One small hatchback, I'm going to have to be ruthless and skip all that stuff that "might come in handy one day" before I turn into a hoarder. 🤣

We took delivery of our Plaid model S "Fergus" on June 29. Soon after, with only about 200 miles on the car, I had surgery to repair my rotator cuff, so for about 2 months couldn't really drive, and another month of very careful driving, just really getting comfortable with driving again now.

First I'll note that driving the Plaid is very different. But again, it's a leap forward from the previous generation. The yoke is extremely comfortable, I think anyone who knocks it probably just hasn't driven it enough to be comfortable yet. In fact it was the only thing that made it possible for me to drive after my surgery; it's easy to do one-handed lock-to-lock steering with the yoke, impossible to do safely with a normal wheel. Last night I drove our P3 for the first time since getting the Plaid, and still wasn't comfortable using both hands because of the pain in my right shoulder.

The other thing that I found last night was that after the Plaid, the Model 3 felt, well, "tinny"*. More road noise, harsher ride, tiny little screen ;-), slow ;-)).

Lastly an anecdote about Tesla's continuous improvement. The blinker controls on the Plaid are two buttons at the top left of the yoke, perfectly positioned for a thumb press, top one for right, bottom one for left. When delivered, they worked like this: a firm press turned on the blinker until you turned a corner or cancelled with another press; a light press activated the blinker for as long as you pressed, then stopped when you let go. But there's no tactile feedback, so how do you tell the difference between a light and a firm press? I got used to just being ready to cancel it if it kept blinking after I'd changed lanes. Then a week or so ago I got confused... I'd be driving along the freeway (manual control), doing a lane change, and it didn't seem that I could do a light press any more. Any press at all seemed to activate the blinker and I'd cancel it as I was getting into the other lane. But then sometimes it would just keep blinking after I thought I'd cancelled it. It was driving me birko. I finally figured it out.

In normal driving, when do you use a blinker? For turning or changing lanes, right? The whole light tap giving three blinks thing like on the 3 was so that you only needed one action to change lanes. This didn't work well in the Plaid because you had to keep your thumb on the button, and you never quite knew whether you'd done a light or heavy press. But a week or two ago, it changed (probably mentioned in the update release notes but I didn't see them if so). Now, the car knows when you've changed lanes successfully, and just auto cancels it. So what I was experiencing was that either I successfully cancelled the blinker myself, or I accidentally re-started it after it auto-cancelled in the new lane. Now the behavior is pretty much exactly what you want. You signal to say you want to turn or change lanes, and either you cancel it yourself because something changed your mind, or it auto-cancels after you complete the action, whether it was turning or changing lanes. Brilliant!

Anyway, just had to comment. Good thing there's an off-topic thread.

*: Monty Python lesser-known skit.

I am currently on a 6,000 mile road trip. In the first week I used Tesla's site to find a hotel with a destination charger in Liberal, Kansas to bridge the supercharger gap between Clayton, New Mexico and Wichita, Kansas.

Before I left on the trip I called the hotel to verify that they had a Tesla Destination charger. They said they had two. But when I arrived I found that it only charged at 12 amps! Yikes! They must have wired it to a 15 amp circuit. Luckily I found the local county fairgrounds, which had a bunch of 15-40 outlets. Close call.
Did you let the hotel know? There were a lot of cases with connections where the electrician didn't read the instructions and the internal switch was left at the default setting of 12 Amps.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Just a matter of time before Carmack comes to work for Elon imo. I have mentioned Neuralink before as a possibility but in the short term there a a number of pointers here:
  1. Latency - ahem Starlink
  2. Not getting on with Zuck by the sound of it
  3. Keeping the meta verse open source
  4. Elon would give him much more freedom to follow his heart
  5. Sitting in your robotaxi with a set of VR goggles has huge synergy
  6. Meta (FB) is seen as increasingly evil - not what Carmack wants to be associated with
  7. Elon can be a player in VR without hardware
  8. Sounds like Oculus are nearing a decent next gen design with pancake lens
  9. Apple could eat Oculus' lunch

Tesla needs to buy a couple welding schools around the country. Cybertruck is going to drastically increase the need for guys who can weld stainless. Maybe go ahead and train folks how to repair single piece castings and structural batteries while they are at it.
Cybertruck gets its strength from cold rolled steel. Welding compromises that.
Castings and pack are likely non-servicable (beyond placing crush beams which I think are bolt on)

Reactions: JRP3