Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get yourself the best toilet paper you can find man. You deserve it.

Being rich is a mentality. I grew up poor so I treat money as an essential and finite resource in life. My wife grew up well off so money is just a number to her. If she needs more she will get/ask/make more. I don’t know if that’s the better way to live life, but definitely the happier lol
When Tesla makes a toilet paper... butt it will have images of short sellers on it(?).

Reactions: saniflash
I wouldn't trust the Tesla brand toilet paper since Elon believes the best part is no part...

;)
Tesla releases Tesla toilet paper

1628080388913.png

“In fact, they say the savings they observed were only slightly better than two other ICE vehicles that they were running in parallel. They mention that you don’t have to change oil in an EV, but the Model 3 still needs its brake calipers lubricated (because in theory they see less use than in an ICE vehicle because an EV relies a lot more on regen), an operation which has now been done on their tester a total of three times and is one of the things that has brought the cost to $432.”

Is this a thing with the brake calipers? Owned Teslas since 2013 this is the first time I have heard of it. Anyone lubricate their brake calipers every 12k miles?

“In fact, they say the savings they observed were only slightly better than two other ICE vehicles that they were running in parallel. They mention that you don’t have to change oil in an EV, but the Model 3 still needs its brake calipers lubricated (because in theory they see less use than in an ICE vehicle because an EV relies a lot more on regen), an operation which has now been done on their tester a total of three times and is one of the things that has brought the cost to $432.”

Is this a thing with the brake calipers? Owned Teslas since 2013 this is the first time I have heard of it. Anyone lubricate their brake calipers every 12k miles?
Not once. Model S at 120K miles and Model 3 at 40K miles. Honestly never heard this before.

No. Car and Driver should know that this is technically recommended for ALL vehicles. That's embarrassing. I'm at 45k miles on my model 3. Maintenance has consisted of a couple of air filters and windshield wiper blades. An equivalent ICE would have had 8 or so oil changes by now. (plus the hour or so of time lost dealing with that)

I have 143,000 miles on my Model S and have never lubricated anything...

Yes, it's a thing made up by c&d. No one else have ever heard of this. C&D must be some teenage girls strolling into pep boys and got hosed for not knowing anything.

Nope this is nonsense. I have never lubricated brake calibers any car I have ever owned.
My Model S has 50,000 miles on it and I have spent exactly ZERO on maintenence.

Car and Driver is fishing......and they smell fishy.

Last edited:

No idea, I always pay the 4-years in advance for annual inspections, so maybe they do it there, who knows 🤷‍♂️

Maybe there's something to it, with the brakes being used less than other cars, in which case I'd say it's ripe for a little Tesla innovation

Reactions: AZRI11
Nope this is nonsense. I have never lubricated brake pads in any car I have ever owned.
My Model S has 50,000 miles on it and I have spent exactly ZERO on maintenence.

Car and Driver is fishing......and they smell fishy.
I imagine if you had been lubricating your "brake-pads" then you probably wouldn't be here to talk about it :oops::p

Yes, it's a thing made up by c&d. No one else have ever heard of this. C&D must be some teenage girls strolling into pep boys and got hosed for not knowing anything.
Perhaps you misinterpreted my ‘thing’ request. My question was not whether brake calipers exist and whether they may on occasion require lubrication, but whether Tesla owners here had engaged in regular intervals of brake caliper lubrication, something I have never done.

Based on the responses received it seems the prevailing answer here is “no”.

Your belief that I equate C and D with naive teenage girls is … puzzling.

Maybe Mean teenage girls defending their turf and posse would be a better analogy.

Tesla manual recommends lubricating brake pads every year or X number (dont remember the figure) of miles if the car is driven on salted roads. Otherwise the brakes are prone to corrosion. Rutine lubrication is not necessary if the car is driven on non-salted roads.

I live in Finland where we have icy roads during winter and salt is frequently used. The Finnish Tesla Facebook group contains several anecdotes of non-lubricated brakes becoming stuck and/or severely corroded over the years.

Last edited: