Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was posting based on apparently dated or mis-remembered facts.

I swear Tesla sold a Wall Charger with a J1772 end which is what I had in my mind. It either vanished from Tesla’s site or I’m just misremembering it. Thinking was: Teslas come with the J1772 adaptor so you could charge any other car (including Teslas) with that Wall Charger…

But since the wall charger I was thinking of does not seem to exist, nevermind!

There was a guy here selling HPWC's he had modified with a J1772 at one time... even had a clever name for them I can't recall. Him maybe?

Ma Crows!

QQQ.2022-04-18.14-36.Hi2.png

I think a lot of people believe that if you have a UMC, you unplug it every day from the wall, rather than three or four times per year. Note that quality EVSE manufacturers make units that plug into a 14-50 in addition to hard wired units.

I think a lot of people believe that if you have a UMC, you unplug it every day from the wall, rather than three or four times per year. Note that quality EVSE manufacturers make units that plug into a 14-50 in addition to hard wired units.
I use the mobile connector but unplug it and unwind it every time I go on a long trip which is 2-4 times per month. Its The last thing I pack on any trip.

I‘d prefer to drop it in the under cargo storage once with my other occasional use stuff I keep in the car for emergencies.

Reactions: jerry33
I use the mobile connector but unplug it and unwind it every time I go on a long trip which is 2-4 times per month. Its The last thing I pack on any trip.

I‘d prefer to drop it in the under cargo storage once with my other occasional use stuff I keep in the car for emergencies.
I purchased an additional one so I wouldn't have to unplug often.

As any who read even a fraction of my posts, one of the Big Exclamation Marks! of someone at my stage of life is that we have a wonderful child, now 4 1/2. As Jenny is trained (Master's from NYU) in elementary education, we long since had been well ready for homeschooling in remote Alaska were we ever to have offspring....

pre-Covid, et cetera.

I, not surprisingly, am the one charged with science, math and engineering. And, while Gus has gloried in the real-life examples we have created in, for example, the mechanical advantages of pulley systems, working with the Jenny-approved & -mandated number blocks, and so forth,

I have at the same time found myself beguiled by the internet-swamped adverts for the mathematical "courses" presented by brilliantDOTorg.

Has anyone first-hand experience with this for-profit operation? Does its full curriculum match the teasers they show in their ads? Is it a slippery slope from their free trial into a spendy? very spendy? byzantine? cost structure? How would you rate it against the varied lectures that Khan Academy offers?

You may thank me for not posting this in the Big thread.....;), but I'm going to place a breadcrumb in it now.

Remember, Tesla has upgraded a huge number of sites from 150 to 250. This has the same effect as building an additional station. Hardeeville SC used to be the only one that filled up on I95. Now it’s rarely full. No waiting. I’m guessing throughput at upgraded stations is up 20-30%.
I don't know of a single site that has been upgraded from v2 (150) to v3 (250). That would require new pedestal (liquid cooled) and cabinets (service 4 pedestals at a time instead of 2) and new wires run to change the power sharing. Money would be much better spent to use that v3 hardware at another location rather than retrofit an old location.

Reactions: XHabjab and 1101011
As any who read even a fraction of my posts, one of the Big Exclamation Marks! of someone at my stage of life is that we have a wonderful child, now 4 1/2. As Jenny is trained (Master's from NYU) in elementary education, we long since had been well ready for homeschooling in remote Alaska were we ever to have offspring....

pre-Covid, et cetera.

I, not surprisingly, am the one charged with science, math and engineering. And, while Gus has gloried in the real-life examples we have created in, for example, the mechanical advantages of pulley systems, and working with the Jenny-approved & -mandated number blocks, and so forth,

I have at the same time found myself beguiled by the internet-swamped adverts for the mathematical "courses" presented by brilliantDOTorg.

Has anyone first-hand experience with this for-profit operation? Does its full curriculum match the teasers they show in their ads? Is it a slippery slope from their free trial into a spendy? very spendy? byzantine? cost structure? How would you rate it against the varied lectures that Khan Academy offers?

You may thank me for not posting this in the Big thread.....;), but I'm going to place a breadcrumb in it now.
I am not exactly there yet (twin 2.5 year olds) but researching now and came across Synthesis - this is something I found while down a rabbit hole of how Elon is schooling his children.
Maybe worth checking out -

I am not exactly there yet (twin 2.5 year olds) but researching now and came across Synthesis - this is something I found while down a rabbit hole of how Elon is schooling his children.
Maybe worth checking out -
I concur. Synthesis looks good. I believe it is for 6 years and older however. My oldest is also approaching 5 years of age, and I also am in a remote part of Oregon with home schooling the goal for our three. I vote for making this a dedicated discussion thread.

A few more replies and we might carve it out, yes.

I also found Synthesis not appropriate yet, but very intriguing. One might say the same of Brilliant; fortunately, I have Jenny around to tamp down my predilection towards high school and undergrad-level concepts and work.

I don't know of a single site that has been upgraded from v2 (150) to v3 (250). That would require new pedestal (liquid cooled) and cabinets (service 4 pedestals at a time instead of 2) and new wires run to change the power sharing. Money would be much better spent to use that v3 hardware at another location rather than retrofit an old location.
Every one between Palm Bay and Richmond that I’ve stopped at lately has been upgraded.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster and JRP3
I have a son participating in Synthesis (which he likes - I always ask if he wants to end it; he never does): they charge monthly & have open sessions (and Chess!) outside of your scheduled "class / cohort" window.

Both he and my younger son also use/participate in the AoPS (Art of Problem Solving) sites. Super, strongly, double ++ recommended, it is not dumbed down at all. I am sometimes challenged by the 2nd grade material. The course books are the best math resources I've ever encountered.

Younger Kids (K-5th): Beast Academy:

Middle School/High School - AoPS (Pre-Algebra -> Geometry -> Calculus -> Group Theory)

Also check out the Numberphile YouTube site

pre-Covid, et cetera.

I, not surprisingly, am the one charged with science, math and engineering. And, while Gus has gloried in the real-life examples we have created in, for example, the mechanical advantages of pulley systems, working with the Jenny-approved & -mandated number blocks, and so forth,

I recall good things (actually have seen good videos from Khan academy -which Elon donated $ to actually so that's a good sign
Khan also has other topics covered too

And there are really good YouTube videos

IMHO what is really important is a good live tutor (like you? not sure about your quals or time availability) - if I were in your position I'd look for (a project in itself) a good student to serve as tutor - they are much better tuned to current things (including math - the kind taught in college, well good ones, compared to 50 years ago is vastly different, not to forget the availability of tech tools properly used (math and simulation software) - and including sports, whatever

And I forgot, whatever the new reincarnation of Ad Astra (the school Elon created for his children, then qualified student, incl SpaceX/ Tesla employees) ..

And .. the mathforum.org used to be the granddaddy / best of all math teaching/ learning online resource 10 years ago till it got acquired and sidelined. But I think they still have their huge repository of resources there

[OT] Can you imagine, famed mathematician Mandelbrot discovered fractals while looking for (any) uses of computers .... just seeing what some iterated rule would result in ... now anyone could have discovered that (and I'm pretty sure some have discovered similar artifacts, leading to some good math )

Last edited:
A few more replies and we might carve it out, yes.

I also found Synthesis not appropriate yet, but very intriguing. One might say the same of Brilliant; fortunately, I have Jenny around to tamp down my predilection towards high school and undergrad-level concepts and work.
I hope you persist in challenging Gus to higher goals. Being very young does not mean one's mind might be slow. I have met a couple people who did advanced study very young. They can even be well balanced.
Gus may know more than operating a complex bit of industrial equipment. Maybe not.
Why not try Synthesis? If it is too much Gus will know.
Obviously, I really cannot know. I have no children.
This is OT so I'm opining away, qualified or not.
Does my ill-spent degree in developmental psychology count? Probably not; I never used it.

Every one between Palm Bay and Richmond that I’ve stopped at lately has been upgraded.
Palm Bay, Florida and Richmond, Virginia? That is a HUGE amount of SuC locations. New stations have been built and would be v3 and 250 capable but I still dont know of any existing station that have had their upgraded. Do you have a specific example? Maybe your car got an upgrade to use the v3 stations and that is what you are thinking about: