Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OFFICIAL BUTTON WATCH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also: 2020 Buyers: Man, you had all those years of HW2 ownership to know Tesla wouldn't upgrade your hardware for free and HW2 was never going to be good enough even though they said it would, that's why I got HW3 which is the "FSD COMPUTER"! Says so right on the about your car screen!

2022: HW4 is released
1623804868587.png

I bought AP2 in October 2016 on a Model X. How was I supposed to be buyer beware and know that "all Tesla cars include the HW needed" was false?

Yes, anyone doing this in about 2019 or later (when Tesla themselves conveniently moved the goalposts too) has a lot of data to operate on and research to be done on Tesla's autonomy timelines and promises. There was no data to operate on in 2016/2017 besides what Tesla told us.
I definitely feel bad for the early purchasers. Especially after the fsd demo in 2016 and the statement that they could summon it from the opposite coast by the end of 2017.

With that being said, personally, I'm very disappointed that there are 71 non-employees out there With "FSD " when ~200k of us have paid for it, and most of us had the assumption that we would get the features as they were rolled out. Most of us are Techie types that want to experience as much as we can, knowing it's not perfect.

Most of us are Techie types that want to experience as much as we can, knowing it's not perfect.
Tesla knows this. Tesla wants to release it. Tesla wants to advertise it. Tesla has "advanced software" updates option for those early adopters, the Early Access as a referral perk, and Elon says we're gonna get a button (I am aware none of these do anything, but they show he knows this kind of stuff makes his customers excited).

This just tells you how unstable, problematic, or flawed the current state of the software must be for them to not be willing to release it. This is a company that is OK with software like summon that hits garage doors or drives over curbs, and actively tells the media that attention is needed on autopilot whenever an incident occurs that a human would easily avoid, and tells the CA DMV that what they have is not autonomous. They are OK with imperfect software. But they're not yet ok with this software, and that's a low bar.

Last edited:
I didn't think the brand new, redesigned Plaid had a camera-based DMS. No?
I would hope the latest and supposedly greatest model you can buy today is not going out the door obsolete on day 1.

With Tesla's history, there's a non-zero chance that exactly this happened....

Of course it has a camera. It is required in the EU to have DMS soon. So why would they leave it out? Would make no sense, even for Tesla and their standards. The only question is what are its capabilities.

Wiki - Model S Delivery Update

Always forwards.

Last edited:
I heard the button takes $1000 from your credit card.
It then puts it in BTC for 5 minutes. Then DOGE for 5 minutes. Then back to USD.
If you get back $995 to $1005, you get the FSD beta. If you get back less than $995, they remove your radar unit and lumbar. If you get back more than $1005, they cut off the top of your steering wheel.

This is how only 71 people ended up in the beta.

I didn't think the brand new, redesigned Plaid had a camera-based DMS. No? If they are planning on a retrofit I'd expect it to be there now. I would hope the latest and supposedly greatest model you can buy today is not going out the door obsolete on day 1.
So it turns out the S refresh (likely not just plaid) has IR leds along with the camera DMS.
So there's a non-zero chance that the camera DMS in every car up to this point is insufficient.

The irony of course is that no camera is needed for actual FSD. L4 doesn't need a camera. Only L2/L3 do. So Tesla is spending more money to make L2/L3 work better, which is kind of a hint that they know any kind of L4 is really far off.

So yeah, a car without cameras or not good enough cameras has the HW for L4 FSD. You just can't have any of the software in-between until it's qualified as full L4.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS