Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official "ludicrous speed upgrade for existing P85D" installation tracking thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope, nothing different from Tesla Burlingame either. I have a standing appointment in late-October for the LTE upgrade and hopefully, Ludicrous by then.

IMO, we may not have to worry about a rigid 6-month window for the install to be done. If we express interest in it and get on the wait list before the six months are up, I don't think we need to be worried about not getting the discounted price even if the actual install happens afterwards.

Also, I'm selfishly looking for some guinea pigs to get the upgrade first and do a true comparison with Insane before I get mine done.

I was told the "6 months" period starts counting from the day the SCs become ready to perform the upgrade, not from the announcement date.

The website official post on the matter says otherwise:

"In appreciation of our existing P85D owners, the pack electronics upgrade needed for Ludicrous Mode will be offered for the next six months at only $5k plus installation labor." - Three Dog Day | Tesla Motors

The website official post on the matter says otherwise:

"In appreciation of our existing P85D owners, the pack electronics upgrade needed for Ludicrous Mode will be offered for the next six months at only $5k plus installation labor." - Three Dog Day | Tesla Motors

I sure hope they have changed their policy after the announcement, because the upgrade won't be available in Australia until next year. If they stick to "6 months from the announcement date" then I guess we won't be getting the discount.

I stopped by for the Seaside Ca opening. Asked the Seaside manager and a regional VP - no one had a firm date. But I did get to demo a P90D. It is Quick! I would say it is like everyone predicted not much quicker 0-30 but harder accelerating from 30+

Pray tell us a bit more. How exactly does it compare at 30+ with an Insane launch?!

I blew it - I never thought I would have the opportunity to drive a P90D (I was at pebble beach) so I did not have data acquisition :smile:.

From a stop it is a little quicker - It feels stronger the entire way to 60. The initial pull from the P85D levels off at 35 or 40 - it still pulls but the P90D felt like it was still accelerating.

From a roll of 35 to 40 it feels stronger than my P85D. It pulled to 80 very strong.

Of course this is the seat of the pants review. I have been a track junkie for 25 years but I am just an amateur so my opinion is just my opinion.

I blew it - I never thought I would have the opportunity to drive a P90D (I was at pebble beach) so I did not have data acquisition :smile:.

From a stop it is a little quicker - It feels stronger the entire way to 60. The initial pull from the P85D levels off at 35 or 40 - it still pulls but the P90D felt like it was still accelerating.

From a roll of 35 to 40 it feels stronger than my P85D. It pulled to 80 very strong.

Of course this is the seat of the pants review. I have been a track junkie for 25 years but I am just an amateur so my opinion is just my opinion.

This is exactly how Elon characterized it in his video where he said the improvement to 60 was entirely from 30-60.

There hasn't been any activity here for some time.
It has been quite some time since I put my deposit in for a Ludicrous update to my P85D and I haven't heard a thing.
Has anyone heard of an update being done -- even in Fremont?
There is a new thread http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/55460-Ludicrous-Upgrade-Scheduling which covers upgrades happening. Short answer is that at least five have been done in Fremont and a few have recently been done in other locations.

There hasn't been any activity here for some time.
It has been quite some time since I put my deposit in for a Ludicrous update to my P85D and I haven't heard a thing.
Has anyone heard of an update being done -- even in Fremont?

According to the folks in the Fremont SC, they received way more demand than they were expecting and are still not equipped to perform these upgrades at scale. They are only doing one upgrade a week, with each upgrade taking 4+ days. I put down my deposit as soon as I could through the Tesla website (the day it was available), and have not yet been scheduled. You cannot schedule your upgrade appointment until you are selected as the lucky winner for the upcoming week. Pretty opaque and disappointing.

According to the folks in the Fremont SC, they received way more demand than they were expecting and are still not equipped to perform these upgrades at scale. They are only doing one upgrade a week, with each upgrade taking 4+ days. I put down my deposit as soon as I could through the Tesla website (the day it was available), and have not yet been scheduled. You cannot schedule your upgrade appointment until you are selected as the lucky winner for the upcoming week. Pretty opaque and disappointing.

Don't worry, SFPD. The situation is certain to get a lot better when all the Model X's start getting delivered. :)