Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Model S Child Seat Thread - reviews, pictures, and discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have about 6" of this: Armacell Tubolit 1/2 in. x 6 ft. Polyethylene Pipe Wrap Insulation-OEP05838 - The Home Depot where it cuts in. I've moved the carseat several times and no marks are left on the seat.
15825412-856a-4b53-92c7-abf3792e8a93_1000.jpg
That's good to know! Maybe I'll try this instead of a new seat... I saw my friends Pria85 and was just about to purchase one but if this works then I'll keep the diono

I got my lazy butt up and checked the manual, you're right. Outside 2 only for LATCH.

It's not safer using a LATCH than a seatbelt, it's easier to get it right. Also LATCH is weight limited (they also have "superlatches" which go to higher weights)
Mythbusting: LATCH vs Seatbelt Installation

I also discovered the manual recommends outboard for latch seats. Since we only have on Infant Car Seat I tested it installed in the middle using the inner LATCH points. It seems fine and very firmly in place. Much better than I could get the lap belt.

Anyone using the middle seating position for Infant car seats? I'm thinking the middle is safer even if I use the latch.

I also discovered the manual recommends outboard for latch seats. Since we only have on Infant Car Seat I tested it installed in the middle using the inner LATCH points. It seems fine and very firmly in place. Much better than I could get the lap belt.

Anyone using the middle seating position for Infant car seats? I'm thinking the middle is safer even if I use the latch.

The problem is that because the angles of the LATCH tethers are greater when using the middle seating position (because the anchors are further apart than the requirement), the load rating is lessened. If you use the recommended positions, the tethers are much closer to being parallel and the load rating is maintained.

We have a Jan 2016 85D MS with the permanently fixed, non adjustable headrests. Both of our Britax car seats have made what appears to be permanent horizontal indentation marks on the rear headrests. Down the road when our kids outgrow the car seats, anyone have ideas on how to restore the headrests ?

We have a Jan 2016 85D MS with the permanently fixed, non adjustable headrests. Both of our Britax car seats have made what appears to be permanent horizontal indentation marks on the rear headrests. Down the road when our kids outgrow the car seats, anyone have ideas on how to restore the headrests ?

Every once in a while, pull out the car seats and condition it. Leave the car seat out for a day and it'll return to it's normal shape. If you do this regularly, it'll leave minimal lines and creasing. We got tired of doing this so we went hunting for a carseat that doesn't touch the headrest. Hint: Chicco Nextfit Zip.

How about protective covers that are safe for tan leather in the MS? Has anyone found a protective cover for use under a child car seat that won’t stain the tan leather? We bought one off Amazon, but it is black and I worry that over time it will stain the leather.

The shaft of the extension (the black shrink-wrapped thing) flexes enough to work around a wider booster seat. If I had my car right now, I'd take photos for you, but it's at the body shop getting fixed from Bambi's stupidity. Our booster is the basic $20 Graco backless booster from Wal-Mart.
Those extensions worked well for me. As to Bambi, he came running out from the brush and hit nose first just at the juncture of the two doors, folded a bit, and bounced off neatly, got up and ran back where he came from. I could not even find a dust spot where he hit. No body shop, this time.