Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Model S Service Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the email. Sticking to the annual/12.5k-mile pay-as-you-go model for service as I don't quite see the benefit of locking up the money up front. Given inflation and what I may be able to do with the money instead, the perceived discount price of $475 per year (if choosing the $1900 option) is not that attractive compared to $600 per.

Extended warranty can most certainly be obtained 4 years or 50,000 miles from now.

Paying $1900 now instead of $2400 late is a 26% return on your investment (over four years). 26%/4 years is certainly possible with investing, but I would rather take the guaranteed 26% over something unknown.

As for inflation, if anything your money loses value -- so that is an argument to purchase the plan.

As for inflation, if anything your money loses value -- so that is an argument to purchase the plan.

Well, I was trying to say that, all things being equal (as in it'd still cost $600 per yearly visit say, 3 years from now), the $600 spent then is worth less in "inflation-adjusted" dollar terms than giving that money away to Tesla right now.

In any case, let's see if a cottage industry of Tesla-approved third-party service shops spring up in the meantime.

Paying $1900 now instead of $2400 late is a 26% return on your investment (over four years). 26%/4 years is certainly possible with investing, but I would rather take the guaranteed 26% over something unknown.

Guaranteed is a very strong word here. There is a little bit of risk.

I'm surprised at how many plan to keep this car for so long. I'm planning on selling mine maybe in 3 years and upgrading to a potentially newer version with all the features that will probably be added by then (as discussed in various threads about features missing from the current version). I would never plan to keep my current cell phone for 8 years as it will be hopelessly out of date by then. The Model S has a similar imperative to me, so I plan to pay as I go for service for a few years and start again with the latest and greatest when the next one comes.

Are you all sure you want to commit to the current generation of technology for 8 years? That's an eternity in the world of high tech.

@SUN-Day Driver, the Model S was a stretch for many of us - more than 2x any prior car etc.; there have been other threads about this - so, we'd want to keep it for an eternity to get the most out of what we've committed. There are a couple of orders of magnitude difference between changing cell phones to changing cars every 3 years at this price level.

@hans, inflation notwithstanding, I think it'd be a mental block for many people if Tesla were to jack up the service cost to more than $600 a year 3-4 years from now "for an EV that's supposed to have minimum maintenance" (oh, we've all beaten that horse dead a thousand times). And, Gen 3 would be close by then so, if anything, per visit service costs may come down in order to appeal to the masses. That's my theory anyway :)

Argh. Can't decide whether to get the ranger service or not. I definitely don't need it (I'm 20 miles from a service center at home, and 3 miles from another one at work), but I don't want to regret not having it later. It's worth the fee to save my time running to the center, getting rental cars, etc...

I'm not going to get it. I live 10 miles from the Chicago center.

Aside from not really needing it, perhaps that will free up rangers for other things.

Sent via Tapatalk.

I had two questions about the $600 annual/12.5K service. According to the service page, service includes:

• Annual inspection (or every 12,500 miles)
  • Replacement parts like brake pads and windshield wipers (excluding tires)
  • 24 hour roadside assistance
  • System monitoring
  • Remote diagnostics
  • Software updates
  • New features

This seems to indicate that service covers me for a period of time based on whichever is shorter of one year or 12.5K miles for everything listed above except the 1st item (the inspection), and then concludes with the 1st item (the inspection). Does that mean that my car isn't currently covered for all of these items as soon as I drive it off the lot? I could not find any service period that is included in the new car purchase price within the owner documentation.

Second question: let's say I had a driving behavior of:

6 months- 12.5K driven (1st service)
next yr- 4k driven (2nd service)
next 8 months- 12.5K driven (3rd service)
next yr- 4k driven (4th service)

At this point, I have had the car for 3 yrs and 2 mo, with 33k driven. Would the 4 yr/50k pre-paid option also similarly terminate, or would it continue through the remaining 10 months of the pre-paid? If it does continue, it seems the pre-paid gives some additional benefit to those whose driving patterns may change from time to time.

Thanks!

Aside from not really needing it, perhaps that will free up rangers for other things.

That right there raises another valid concern: given the explosion of Model S everywhere, if many folks pay for and ask for Ranger service, I doubt if the Tesla service centers can send them out promptly and at the owner's convenience. You may end up having to take it into the service center after all for something urgent. Scaling is going to be a huge problem for service centers and the technicians there let alone for ranger service.

I had two questions about the $600 annual/12.5K service. According to the service page, service includes:

• Annual inspection (or every 12,500 miles)
  • Replacement parts like brake pads and windshield wipers (excluding tires)
  • 24 hour roadside assistance
  • System monitoring
  • Remote diagnostics
  • Software updates
  • New features

This seems to indicate that service covers me for a period of time based on whichever is shorter of one year or 12.5K miles for everything listed above except the 1st item (the inspection), and then concludes with the 1st item (the inspection). Does that mean that my car isn't currently covered for all of these items as soon as I drive it off the lot? I could not find any service period that is included in the new car purchase price within the owner documentation.

Second question: let's say I had a driving behavior of:

6 months- 12.5K driven (1st service)
next yr- 4k driven (2nd service)
next 8 months- 12.5K driven (3rd service)
next yr- 4k driven (4th service)

At this point, I have had the car for 3 yrs and 2 mo, with 33k driven. Would the 4 yr/50k pre-paid option also similarly terminate, or would it continue through the remaining 10 months of the pre-paid? If it does continue, it seems the pre-paid gives some additional benefit to those whose driving patterns may change from time to time.

Thanks!
I'm not sure I understand your first question. I would think its covered, why wouldn't it be?
As for your 2nd question? Knowing Tesla's $ making policy, the 4 yr/50k probably terminates after the 4th service regardless of the # of miles driven and # yrs that have passed.

As long as Tesla provides upgrades, there's no reason why the Model S shouldn't last, and be reasonably current, for 20 years.

The 3G data capability is already obsolete, there will be far better display technology, and cars without some features yet to become common will seem hopelessly outdated in 20 years. It may be functional, but it won't be current after a few years.

I do, however, understand the idea that it costs so much we want to keep it for a long time. I've had my current car for 10 years and generally have kept them at least that long, but Model S, by incorporating so much technology that cars don't usually have, is prone to the same obsolescence as other high tech toys (in my opinion).

Hi Hershey, there is no mention of included software updates, remote diagnostics, system monitoring or new features in either the new vehicle limited warranty nor the owners rights notification document. The only item mentioned is the 24 hr roadside assistance, which is apparently included in the first 4 yrs / 50k miles. The fact that they mention these as benefits of the annual/12.5k service plan, compounded with the fact they are not mentioned in any of the new owner documentation, seems to imply that they are not otherwise included with the purchase of the car.

I'm not sure I understand your first question. I would think its covered, why wouldn't it be?
As for your 2nd question? Knowing Tesla's $ making policy, the 4 yr/50k probably terminates after the 4th service regardless of the # of miles driven and # yrs that have passed.