Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Model S Service Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ADN_ModelS: I was thinking along these lines, but my only concern is if pricing goes up or it isn't available later. Thinking I'll do it now just to lock it in. Yes, I could total the car and then it's a waste, but I find that unlikely.

I figure they'll announce any extended warrantee price increase ahead of time... and then I can lock it in if necessary (or punt, if the price increase isn't big, or it's unneeded).

Second bullet: installation of parts by someone other than a Tesla sanctioned facility. Does this mean that if I rotate my tires or have new tires installed at a my local shop that could potentially void the warranty?

Yes, in theory. However, in my opinion that would only occur in the unlikely event that Tesla could prove that you or your local shop were negligent in performing the work. Regardless of the terminology that Tesla choses to use, I seriously doubt that Tesla could get away with voiding a warranty simply because someone rotated their tires, or installed a set of winter tires, etc.

Larry

I wish they had an option for different yearly mileage. Something like 8 year/120,000 miles. Doing 15,000 miles a year isn't that hard. I'd be willing to pay more for larger mileage.

Something like:
4 year/40k
4 year/50k
4 year/60k
8 year/80k
8 year/100k
8 year/120k

I think I'll email them and suggest it. Seems like a win/win as folks that use the miles will have paid for it and Tesla gets free money from folks that were upsold on extra mileage they won't use just because it's a peace of mind thing.

Is it possible that most of us never read warranties or more to the point never cared before Tesla came along?

Yes! ;-) I am going with 4+4 maintenance, and while I want the extended warranty, I will probably wait. I agree with ADN_ModelS; Tesla will announce any price increase and and have a window during which we can purchase, just like they did with the Model S price increase.

I'm totally confused about how useful the tire insurance (?) will be, after skimming the details. I don't even know how much a replacement tire is (I have the stock 19"). I don't recall ever needing to replace the wheels so I'm not worried about them--just maybe the tires. But anyway, I've been told the car costs enough as it is and I don't need tire coverage. I'm too happy with my car to rock the boat! I'll take my 4+4 (and extended warranty when the time comes) and stay happy! ;-)

I'm totally confused about how useful the tire insurance (?) will be, after skimming the details. I don't even know how much a replacement tire is (I have the stock 19"). I don't recall ever needing to replace the wheels so I'm not worried about them--just maybe the tires.
What am I missing about the tire insurance? I have never before been offered tire insurance - never before even heard about it. Doesn't the tire manufacturer warrant their tires?

It's more like road hazard insurance and wheel insurance (but not cosmetic, which is what most damage is going to be).

Just as a comparison, if you buy 21" Continental ExtremeContacts from TireRack, they include the manufacturer's Road Hazard warranty. Other tires for the Model S in 21" size are about $30 per tire for the road hazard warranty.

So Road Hazard warranty's are moderately cheap. You are buying a warranty for strucural damage to your wheels. Personally, I'm not bothering. Most often I get curb rash, which isn't covered anyway. Maybe if I lived in a pothole-heavy area, it would be worth it. But $900 is awfully expensive to insure $3500 in wheels (it costs $3500 to buy 4 new 21" wheels direct from Tesla). The tire warranty's are either included or a better deal direct from Tire Rack.

For the 19" wheels, I definitely wouldn't bother -- the 19" wheels will eventually be all over ebay for cheap (they are already selling person to person for $1000ish for 4 wheels -- may as well buy 4 spares for $1000 than $700 for insurance...).

Just my opinion, but I'm not bothing with the wheel/tire warranty.

What am I missing about the tire insurance? I have never before been offered tire insurance - never before even heard about it. Doesn't the tire manufacturer warrant their tires?

Yes, in theory. However, in my opinion that would only occur in the unlikely event that Tesla could prove that you or your local shop were negligent in performing the work. Regardless of the terminology that Tesla choses to use, I seriously doubt that Tesla could get away with voiding a warranty simply because someone rotated their tires, or installed a set of winter tires, etc.

Larry

They absolutely could--for an extended warranty. The laws regarding choice of service facility only apply to New Vehicle Manufacturer's Warranties.

Does the ranger service covers winter tire change over? If it does, I'll definitely go for it. Somebody coming to my door and man handles all those tires twice a year is a big plus.

Sent from my GT-P7500R using Tapatalk HD

I talked to my service center manager about this specifically before I placed my order. He said that if I take the Ranger service (even though I'm fairly close to the service center) they will come to the house and swap my winter/summer tires for me. He said that should make it a good deal. I agree. I don't want to really lug these wheels/tires there for a change twice a year.

Just got an email notice:

plans.jpg

It's a warranty for damage to both wheels and tires. Granted, most damage will be cosmetic scrapes. But I've had a total of 3 flat tires over the past 3 years due to pothole damage and nails/screws, none of which were patchable. Assuming they are replacing my OE Michelin PS2s (21" wheels) like with like, it would take 2 flats in 4 years for the policy to pay for itself.

It's more like road hazard insurance and wheel insurance (but not cosmetic, which is what most damage is going to be).

Just as a comparison, if you buy 21" Continental ExtremeContacts from TireRack, they include the manufacturer's Road Hazard warranty. Other tires for the Model S in 21" size are about $30 per tire for the road hazard warranty.

So Road Hazard warranty's are moderately cheap. You are buying a warranty for strucural damage to your wheels. Personally, I'm not bothering. Most often I get curb rash, which isn't covered anyway. Maybe if I lived in a pothole-heavy area, it would be worth it. But $900 is awfully expensive to insure $3500 in wheels (it costs $3500 to buy 4 new 21" wheels direct from Tesla). The tire warranty's are either included or a better deal direct from Tire Rack.

For the 19" wheels, I definitely wouldn't bother -- the 19" wheels will eventually be all over ebay for cheap (they are already selling person to person for $1000ish for 4 wheels -- may as well buy 4 spares for $1000 than $700 for insurance...).

Just my opinion, but I'm not bothing with the wheel/tire warranty.

Got the email. Sticking to the annual/12.5k-mile pay-as-you-go model for service as I don't quite see the benefit of locking up the money up front. Given inflation and what I may be able to do with the money instead, the perceived discount price of $475 per year (if choosing the $1900 option) is not that attractive compared to $600 per.

Extended warranty can most certainly be obtained 4 years or 50,000 miles from now.

I assume if I only get the 4-year plan -- in 4 years, I won't get the same price for the next 4 years? (Getting the 8-year plan is a bargain?)

As I read the email I just received, you can only add the prepaid service plan for years 5-8 (or 50-100K miles, whichever comes first) at the same time you purchase a prepaid service plan for the first four years/50K miles; there are no guarantees you will be able to buy prepaid service for years 5-8 at a later date and, if it is offered, it may not be at the same price. Here's what the fine print in the email states:

"Four year extension plans are only available in combination with an initial four year service plan at this time. Extension plans may be available for individual purchase in the future. Availability, duration, and pricing subject to change."

The ESA (extended warranty) is available for purchase at any time up to and including 30 days after your original new-car warranty expires.