Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Model S Service Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called and asked, apparently they've gotten quite a few calls from us WA state folks today. I was told that Tesla is awaiting the final contract approval from the state, so it's coming! I, for one, was mainly after the extended warranty and was a bit alarmed to see our state excluded.

Does anyone know why extended warranties are not available in WA state? Or for CT, FL, NM, or OK?

I called and asked, apparently they've gotten quite a few calls from us WA state folks today. I was told that Tesla is awaiting the final contract approval from the state, so it's coming! I, for one, was mainly after the extended warranty and was a bit alarmed to see our state excluded.
I hope they send out a follow-up mail for the affected (4?) states. Fortunately, my forum OCD will keep me informed but that doesn't help "normal" customers.

I received the email notification yesterday at 2:41 PM EST. The ESA is priced at $2,400 on the email, but $2,500 on the website. Wow prices are going up fast!

ESA.jpg

I'm surprised at how many plan to keep this car for so long. I'm planning on selling mine maybe in 3 years and upgrading to a potentially newer version with all the features that will probably be added by then (as discussed in various threads about features missing from the current version). I would never plan to keep my current cell phone for 8 years as it will be hopelessly out of date by then. The Model S has a similar imperative to me, so I plan to pay as I go for service for a few years and start again with the latest and greatest when the next one comes.

Are you all sure you want to commit to the current generation of technology for 8 years? That's an eternity in the world of high tech.

Given you can transfer the warrantee with the car, my logic is that the car will sell for more in the future, if it has the warrantee. Remember this isn't some conventional ICE... you can't get it serviced anywhere else but at Tesla... thus it's all but a requirement to have the service plan (yes, I know some die-hards what to service it themselves... but realistically, for the average buyer, this is not an option). If service rates go up in the future (and they will), then having locked in the 4+4 will be seen as a benefit, and a buyer would prefer my Model S over another on the market.

The most expensive car I purchased before my Model S Signature P85 was a 2003 Honda Accord EX-V6 at $27,000 so yeah, I'm not selling my Model S for at least 10 years!

Wow, BYT -- sounds just like me... Bought my 2003 Accord V6 sports coupe almost 10 years ago now (and only now spending siginficant amount on repairs)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure the assumption that prices will rise in the future is a good one... There are laws in the US preventing car makers from excluding local mom-n-pop shops from doing repairs. Thus competition should keep the prices in check (or so one would think).

I'm not sure the assumption that prices will rise in the future is a good one... There are laws in the US preventing car makers from excluding local mom-n-pop shops from doing repairs. Thus competition should keep the prices in check (or so one would think).

I think Tesla has made it clear that they are not going by the normal procedures and will take those policy enforcers to court, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the legal system. Heck, Banks are now too big to fail and apparently to prosecute so there you go, one prime example. I also think I sold my Accord at the right time, I drove her to the ground, abused the hell out of her and she never caused me any problems. Before the Tesla Model S, I was a very loyal Honda owner and have now changed loyalties, it's only up to Tesla Motors to waver for me to change, but I have a feeling Tesla will do me write for the future.

--EDIT--

I should add that Tesla had every right and should have taken the to court, and I had no doubt they would put the dealers in their place by the way. Didn't want the message to come off like they are just purposefully fighting a system that worked, because it wasn't.

I'd take the federal government vs tesla everyday (when would telsa have an unlimited budget to work with?). And the ftc position on it is fairly clear, http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance I would hope Tesla is smart enough to choose which battle are worth fighting (and actually have a reasonable chance of winning) - this would be neither.

So going through the process of paying for service, came to the payment options page and got this unpleasant looking surprise:

TeslaServiceHarrumph.jpg

Thankfully, when typing in my AmEx number after selecting the Visa/MC choice, it accepted, processed, and emailed confirmation. :)

So going through the process of paying for service, came to the payment options page and got this unpleasant looking surprise:

View attachment 19030

Thankfully, when typing in my AmEx number after selecting the Visa/MC choice, it accepted, processed, and emailed confirmation. :)

Thanks for posting the payment methods. I was going to ask about them.
Is there a few associated with paying by credit card? If not I might as well get cash back rewards point for it :smile: Taxes?

Thanks

The 3G data capability is already obsolete, there will be far better display technology, and cars without some features yet to become common will seem hopelessly outdated in 20 years. It may be functional, but it won't be current after a few years.

I do, however, understand the idea that it costs so much we want to keep it for a long time. I've had my current car for 10 years and generally have kept them at least that long, but Model S, by incorporating so much technology that cars don't usually have, is prone to the same obsolescence as other high tech toys (in my opinion).

I expect software upgrades to offset some of that, I don't care about display tech (?!), and I also expect that some hardware--like the 3G--will be ugpradable in the future. Obviously I may be wrong on this--no choice but to wait and see--but based on what I've read about Roadster improvements, which I believe included some hardware options, I hope/expect so. Of course, I don't care about 3G versus 4G. . . . Anyway, time will tell, but I doubt I will feel the car's hopelessly outdated in 20 years. The other cars I see and ride in seem so, and they're a lot younger than 20 years old. ;-) On the other paw, I don't even know if it'll last 20 years. My second car "lasted" longer than my first car (12.5 years versus 10 years), so I hope to get at least 15 out of the Model S. :-D

Question:

I bought the tire warranty. If I get a flat...can I use a fix a flat can to seal/inflate my tire and then drive it to the tesla service center (or tire shop) to get my tire changed. Or will this void the tire insurance???

I only ask because I would hate to have to wait around for a tie truck (especially when I am so close to a service center).

Question:

I bought the tire warranty. If I get a flat...can I use a fix a flat can to seal/inflate my tire and then drive it to the tesla service center (or tire shop) to get my tire changed. Or will this void the tire insurance???

I only ask because I would hate to have to wait around for a tie truck (especially when I am so close to a service center).
I have to assume if you used the Tesla tire repair kit they'd honor it.