Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Model S Service Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What if you have to have some warranty work done and you have the unlimited Ranger option.... will the ranger visit for the warranty repair be free because you have the unlimited option in the initial service agreement?

It was supposed to be, and that's how it was advertised. That was my understanding. They may have written it wrong, but in that case the unlimited Ranger option wouldn't be worth anything.

In short, "unlimited Ranger service" was supposed to include ranger service for any need, including warranty work and work you paid for yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

You might want to wait until Elon's next series of announcements before purchasing a Service Plan. I think that's why they took down the button, based on a recent comment I heard from a Tesla salesperson.

If they announce free service, I'll demand my money back.

More likely they're correcting the legal mess they made back when. Perhaps they will finally actually publish the manuals which tell people what they have to do to service their own cars.

The critical question is, how much will the periodic service cost (bought year-to-year)? Your calculation assumes it will always cost $600/year.

I assume that the nominal price of the periodic service will increase 2.5%/year.

I did assume it stays at $600 per year because the Roadster started at $600 a year four years ago, is still $600 a year, and the Model S is $600 per year.

Not that I think it will go up right away, but Tesla's behavior seems to keep it fixed for a decent period of time. So my *guess* based upon previous behavior, is that they will keep it at $600 and then a few years down the line depending upon their costs and inflation jump to probably $650 or $700 per year. I don't see them going to $604 next year, $609 the next...

It was supposed to be, and that's how it was advertised. That was my understanding. They may have written it wrong, but in that case the unlimited Ranger option wouldn't be worth anything.

In short, "unlimited Ranger service" was supposed to include ranger service for any need, including warranty work and work you paid for yourself.

Well then the way I read it anyway, they have written it wrong! And yes, I agree, unlimited would mean nothing if it did not include any calls you made to them, for warranty AND wear and tear problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone who previously incurred Ranger fees (prior to the Service Plans being officially announced) gotten a refund for these at the time of purchasing the Service Plan?
I had to pay $100 Ranger fee when Tesla sent a Ranger with my winter tire/wheel set in January and was told then that this would be credited towards the purchase of the Service Plan down the line (obviously if purchasing the unlimited Ranger visit option).

Curious to know if there's anyone else in this situation.

Just got off the phone with Tesla. The WA state warranty extension is still not available but, it really doesn't matter since I can buy that up to 30 days prior to my first 4 yr/50k warranty expiration. After a long discussion, and the fact that I only live about 7 miles (only 2 miles from work) from a service center, the smartest option for me is to buy the basic 4 year plan for $1900. Even though I will likely own my car for more than 4 years, I still decided to buy the base 4 year plan as I can always buy the 4 year service extension and the 4 year warranty extension before primary service and warranty expiration. I can't think of a rational reason to buy the hedge against inflation. However, I do see a reason to buy the 4 year plan over $600/year.

Ranger service doesn't make sense because I live and work so close to the service center.

The tire warranty has too many exclusions. The biggest warranty here will be when Tesla does a software update to provide predictive parking lines and the back-up camera. They told me it was their single biggest feature request.

The regularly scheduled maintenance inspections shall include the following (subject to change by Tesla at any time and without notice, in its sole discretion):
• Vehicle inspection;
• Replacement or repair at the time of inspection of normal maintenance items and wear and tear
parts, excluding the Battery and tires;
• Wheel alignment*; and
• Tire rotation*.

Does this make anyone else uncomfortable about the service package? Tesla can change anything they want at any time, without notification, and for any reason?

I'm only a potential owner, but if I owned the vehicle I wouldn't prepay the service as I think the price will drop once competition is introduced. Tesla is obligated by consumer protection laws to allow for 3rd-parties to service Tesla vehicles, right?

In light of Elon's announcement today that Tesla will deliver loaner cars to customers' home/office when scheduled for service, this may make it less urgent to purchase the service plan including unlimited Ranger service, at least if you are located a reasonable distance from a service center where they have loaner cars available.

358in5.jpg

My button came back yesterday (in WA state) and I've had only great experiences with Tesla service (Portland service center is awesome). So I bought the 4-year plan. I'm certainly comfortable with the value in that!
On day 1, I bought the 4anywhere+4. Apparently that disappeared and came back for WA state for some.

I did not buy the Tire&Wheel (yet?), and that option has been present for me throughout.

I haven't seen the warranty extension option yet.

Just another data point.

For textual reference (by others and my future self)...
WHAT IS ROAD HAZARD DAMAGE?
Road hazard damage is damage that occurs when a tire or wheel
fails as a result of a puncture, bruise, or impact break incurred
during the course of driving in a legal manner on a road maintained
by state or local authority. Nails, glass and potholes are the most
common examples of road hazards.

PROGRAM DESCRIPTION

FLAT TIRE REPAIR:
If your tire is damaged due to a valid
road hazard and can be safely
repaired, the repair is covered up to
$30 per tire, per occurrence.

TIRE REPAIR/REPLACEMENT:
If a tire is not repairable due to a
puncture, bruise, impact break or
other road hazard damage, the tire is
covered up to the limits listed,
inclusive of applicable taxes.

TIRE MOUNTING, BALANCING,
AND OTHER FEES:

Mounting, balancing, valve stem and
disposal fees are covered up to the
limits listed.

WHEEL REPAIR / REPLACEMENT:
If your wheel is damaged by a road
hazard and cannot maintain an artight
seal with the tire or cannot be
balanced, your wheel is repaired or
replaced with coverage up to the limits
listed, inclusive of applicable taxes.

ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE:
The program covers up to $60 of
roadside assistance in the US to tow
your vehicle when your tire and/or
wheel is damaged due to a covered
road hazard.

For program terms and conditions
please reference the Tire and Wheel
Contact or contact your local Tesla
Service Center for more information.

PROGRAM COVERAGE LIMITS AND COST

To receive program benefits, customers must sign up for the program within 15 days
of delivery of their Tesla Model S. Coverage limits for wheel repairs, and tire/wheel
replacements for each program are inclusive of eligible Mounting & Balancing
amounts and taxes applicable to the repair or replacement.

TIRE & WHEEL PROTECTION PROGRAMS
ProgramTire
Component
Wheel/Rim
Component
Mounting &
Balancing
Aggregate
Limit
Program
Cost
19" Wheels
Grip Platinum
$350$700$50$5,000$700
21" Wheels
Grip Platinum
Plus
$600$1,200$75$7,000$900

Coverage limits per component and aggregate limit.
HOW TO FILE A CLAIM:

1.Contact the Program Administrator at 1.866.269.8094 for prior authorization
and a claim tracking number before work is commenced.

2.Contact your local Tesla Service Center (or participating partners) for the repair
or replacement of damaged components.

3.Submit to the Administrator legible copies of the original Contract Registration
Page, the signed repair or replacement invoice, and other documentation
required by the Administrator. Documentation may be faxed to 1-866-449-3239 or
mailed to Administrator, Grip Tire & Wheel Protection Program, P.O. Box 16973,
Golden, CO 80402-6016.

4.Please consider that all tires and wheels that require replacement and wheels
that are being considered for repair must be made available for inspection.

19"21" Silver21" Grey

Last edited:
I don't think that Tesla has approval to introduce multi-year (paid) service plans in Florida. That could be why we are not seeing any options other than the tires and wheel replacement program.
That is strange, as the following is the header on my agreement (underline added):

Purchased in Alabama, California, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, New York, Nevada, South Carolina, Texas,Vermont, Washington and Wyoming.

But, we still do not have the warranty extension offer.