Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Model S Service Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my used 2016 Model S 90 delivered last week. Absolutely love it. It comes with 2 different warranties, 4 years and 50k miles PLUS 6 years infinite mile battery and drive warranty.

On the top of that I do see 3 and 4 year maintenance plan buying options in my Tesla account. However, there is no such option available as Extended Service Agreement probably because I already have the 4 years 50 k warranty.
Just bought a CPO p85d with the same deals.

It sounds like this is another case of "you snooze you lose" as they no longer have pre-paid maintenance on the menu anymore. Maybe it's still available as off-menu if you are still fast enough!

They used to offer 8-year pre-paid plan then down to 4-year then now zero-year!

The prices of Extended Service Agreement (extended warranty) are still available at:

Extended Service Agreement

Its terms and conditions are at:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/service/vehicle_extended_service_agreement_en_us.pdf

Owners do report that they have to pay $200 deductible each visit as indicated in the document.

However, I had the following extended warranty visits (all after 50,000 to under 100,000 miles) for no additional cost, no deductibles for my 2012 Model S that I now traded in this year:

>$500 Gen1 Mobile Connector

$4,000 for re-manufactured MCU (17" screen and computer)

$4,500 for cabin heater

Another case of "you snooze you lose" for my 2012 Model S as I paid the Extended Warranty for $2,4000 and I didn't listen to owners who were very vocal at that time that it's a rip off, the house always wins...

That $2,400 went up to $4,250 if I listened to them!

I'm surprised to still see the mcu be that expensive. The cabin heater is definitely a surprise.

Just got my used 2016 Model S 90 delivered last week. Absolutely love it. It comes with 2 different warranties, 4 years and 50k miles PLUS 6 years infinite mile battery and drive warranty.

On the top of that I do see 3 and 4 year maintenance plan buying options in my Tesla account. However, there is no such option available as Extended Service Agreement probably because I already have the 4 years 50 k warranty.
6 year battery? My CPO 2015 S 70D included an 8 year battery/drive train warranty. ???

My CPO 2015 S 70D included an 8 year battery/drive train warranty. ???

Interesting , my MS 2016 90D CPO has only 6 years infinite miles battery and drive warranty. I was looking at used MS listings at Tesla site today but couldn't find anything with 8 years of battery life and drive warranty.

Consider your self lucky :)

upload_2019-3-10_15-13-14.png

Interesting , my MS 2016 90D CPO has only 6 years infinite miles battery and drive warranty. I was looking at used MS listings at Tesla site today but couldn't find anything with 8 years of battery life and drive warranty.

Consider your self lucky :)

View attachment 384955
Where do you find the page that shows a 6-year warranty? The results I'm finding are stating: "This Model S receives a full inspection, remaining battery and drive warranty and a four year, 50,000 miles pre-owned limited warranty with 24 hour roadside assistance."

You would get the original 8-year warranty (from delivery date of original owner). You're just using Tesla's CPO website, right?

Where do you find the page that shows a 6-year warranty? The results I'm finding are stating: "This Model S receives a full inspection, remaining battery and drive warranty and a four year, 50,000 miles pre-owned limited warranty with 24 hour roadside assistance."

You would get the original 8-year warranty (from delivery date of original owner). You're just using Tesla's CPO website, right?

Yeah, look on Tesla's used inventory site for any car 2015 or newer.

New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

...and click on the detail listings button (looks like this:
upload_2019-3-11_0-47-24.png
)

Reactions: MikeScarne
Yeah, look on Tesla's used inventory site for any car 2015 or newer.

New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

...and click on the detail listings button (looks like this: View attachment 385119)
Gotcha. Interesting you get more details that way than clicking on the actual result. Having said that, the quick search I did seems to indicate they're specifying how many years are left from the original 8-year warranty. So, 6-years would indicate a 2017 vehicle. I found one that was a 2015 S60 with a 4-year 83,000 battery warranty. Maybe 2015 is when they began offering infinite mile warranties? I'm not a Tesla historian, so I'm sure someone can easily correct me.

Does anyone else think the Tire and Wheel Replacement Program might have a typo? 4 years or 12,500 miles (whichever comes first) is a very strange combination. I'm assuming it should be 4 years or 50,000 miles otherwise it is really a 1 year program for most people.
I have the same question as you, I really hope it is for 4yr/50K the its worth the $900 for 21" wheels. Otherwise for 12500 miles it might not be a good deal.

I found a very interesting video regarding justice-oriented warranty lengths that should be examined. I suspect Tesla would be highly applicable to this video, because I've seen what kind of board members they've recently hired, and they're that way.

Informative indeed, but I this guy is needlessly wordy for a lawyer...I thought they were suppose to be concise. I had to watch the video in 1.5X speed and I'd suggest others start at the 5 minute mark.

Essentially he's saying the states are split 50/50 on whether any product warranty claim can be enforced beyond the statute of limitations which many have set at 4 years. A 7 year warranty is merely marketing puffery for those extra 3 years. A manufacturer or dealer can exercise relieve beyond those 4 years at their discretion, but they are not legally bound...at least not according to Steve's 50/50 statement. So there you have it; now we can all be just a little more cynical about everything :)

As for service plans. I had the option to buy two plans when I bought my used 2013 MS 85. But 2 months into ownership the option seems to have disappeared from my Tesla account page.

Is there a way to read the details of what the current Extended Service Plan covers and how it works? When I look at the info on my MyTesla page, it says essentially nothing except the price. E.g., I have read that there is a fee of $200 each time you use it, but the Tesla web site says nothing about that.

What service is included/should be expected when purchasing a new Tesla? Other manufacturers do free tire rotation, wiper fluid, oil change (obviously not applicable here), etc for the first year or two or for a certain amount of miles. What does Tesla provide NOT including any separately purchased service plan or warranty covered items?

What service is included/should be expected when purchasing a new Tesla? Other manufacturers do free tire rotation, wiper fluid, oil change (obviously not applicable here), etc for the first year or two or for a certain amount of miles. What does Tesla provide NOT including any separately purchased service plan or warranty covered items?

Zip. Nada. But if you bring your car in for factory warranty service, they might include a few minor items as "goodwill" (tire rotations, wiper fluid etc), but nothing documented or promised.

Is there a way to read the details of what the current Extended Service Plan covers and how it works?

The "Extended Service Plan" is for pre-paid service (not defunct). What you're talking about is the Extended Service Agreement. Details here: Extended Service Agreement Yes, there is a $200 per visit charge for any items covered on the ESA. I just had my charge port door replace under ESA for $200+tax.

Zip. Nada. But if you bring your car in for factory warranty service, they might include a few minor items as "goodwill" (tire rotations, wiper fluid etc), but nothing documented or promised.

The "Extended Service Plan" is for pre-paid service (not defunct). What you're talking about is the Extended Service Agreement. Details here: Extended Service Agreement Yes, there is a $200 per visit charge for any items covered on the ESA. I just had my charge port door replace under ESA for $200+tax.

Sorry I gave the name wrong, thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately the linked page does not give much detail. E.g., I see no mention of the $200 fee, so the only way i know about it is from posts on here. So it makes me wonder what else is not shown on the web site and might be a "surprise" later on.
Here is one question maybe you can answer -- Are you able to combine work tasks so that you could get 2 or 3 covered items done for one fee? Or is the fee per repair?

Are you able to combine work tasks so that you could get 2 or 3 covered items done for one fee? Or is the fee per repair?

Yeah, the names are confusing.

Yes, it's a $200 deductible per visit. Once you sign up, you'll get a contract with the details -- I know that doesn't help in advance. It basically covers everything the factory warranty covers except the battery and motor, which has the fixed 8-year warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Yeah, the names are confusing.

Yes, it's a $200 deductible per visit. Once you sign up, you'll get a contract with the details -- I know that doesn't help in advance. It basically covers everything the factory warranty covers except the battery and motor, which has the fixed 8-year warranty.
Yes AND, subsequent follow up visits for same problem or recurrence of same problem are not supposed to be charged $200.

Sorry I gave the name wrong, thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately the linked page does not give much detail. E.g., I see no mention of the $200 fee, so the only way i know about it is from posts on here. So it makes me wonder what else is not shown on the web site and might be a "surprise" later on.
Here is one question maybe you can answer -- Are you able to combine work tasks so that you could get 2 or 3 covered items done for one fee? Or is the fee per repair?

Here is a link to the detailed agreement which outlines the $200 fee per visit in the fine print... :cool:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...xtended_Service_Agreement_United_States_0.pdf