Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Official Tessie app talk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tessie missed recording a charging session, anyway to add it? It’s in the Tesla app but not in Tessie. The only time this ever happened BTW, update rocks, still figuring out automations.
Computer bug that causes Tesla to occasionally lose contact with the car. Restart the car to fix it. Tesla uses offline debug logs that unfortunately owners don't have access to which is how they can record it. Manual add option coming soon.

Glad you like the update! 😁

Tessie (and other third party apps) are functionally identical to opening the Tesla app. They all work the same way. Technically, all that is being done is asking Tesla for data on your car. That definitely shouldn't be causing an issue with HV battery contactors. If it is, that sounds like a wiring issue, or possibly a 12V battery issue. I would guess the latter - it's a common part issue, and it can cause lots of weird behavior.
I tried the free trial for two weeks, and started noticing the HV battery contactors clicking every 60 seconds when car was parked and locked (and had been for at least an hour, sometimes overnight). Both the Tesla app and Tessie apps were closed on both of our phones. I then launched the Tessie app and made this change:

Settings / Auto Wake: OFF
Closed the app

The clicking continued, so I made another change:

Settings / Connectivity / Disable vehicle monitoring (turned it off).
This made "Disabled" appear to the right "Vehicle Monitoring".

The clicking stopped.

I like the data Tessie provides, but I can't have the contractors clicking all day like that. Is there anything else I can do to prevent this from happening?

I tried the free trial for two weeks, and started noticing the HV battery contactors clicking every 60 seconds when car was parked and locked (and had been for at least an hour, sometimes overnight). Both the Tesla app and Tessie apps were closed on both of our phones. I then launched the Tessie app and made this change:

Settings / Auto Wake: OFF
Closed the app

The clicking continued, so I made another change:

Settings / Connectivity / Disable vehicle monitoring (turned it off).
This made "Disabled" appear to the right "Vehicle Monitoring".

The clicking stopped.

I like the data Tessie provides, but I can't have the contractors clicking all day like that. Is there anything else I can do to prevent this from happening?
I know a few Tesla owners have solved the constant clicking sound by replacing their defective 12V battery. This definitely isn't normal. Sounds like it's happening every time Tesla makes a network request to the car. You can email [email protected] for a refund and try it again whenever you get it fixed.

Another thing you could try is a full power cycle. From the manual:
  1. Shift into Park.
  2. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety > Power Off.
  3. Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc.
  4. After two minutes, press the brake pedal or open the door to wake the vehicle.

Last edited:
I know a few Tesla owners have solved the constant clicking sound by replacing their defective 12V battery. This definitely isn't normal. Sounds like it's happening every time Tesla makes a network request to the car. You can email [email protected] for a refund and try it again whenever you get it fixed.

Another thing you could try is a full power cycle. From the manual:
  1. Shift into Park.
  2. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety > Power Off.
  3. Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc.
  4. After two minutes, press the brake pedal or open the door to wake the vehicle.
I’ll try the power cycle. Thanks.

The 12v battery was replaced in January with this one from Ohmmu:

12v Lithium Battery for Model S
SKU T1230S

Hey!

Have there been any reports of increased app<>car activity? Seems like I've got a little higher loss than usual, still not much, I just kind of pay attention to it - and I've noticed, even if I don't open the OEM app, and then check, I see way more recent "Last Seen" than actually occurred (by way of the OEM app). I've had a lot of updates recently, so not sure there's a clear demarcation between typical/more loss vs. one specific change.

Hey!

Have there been any reports of increased app<>car activity? Seems like I've got a little higher loss than usual, still not much, I just kind of pay attention to it - and I've noticed, even if I don't open the OEM app, and then check, I see way more recent "Last Seen" than actually occurred (by way of the OEM app). I've had a lot of updates recently, so not sure there's a clear demarcation between typical/more loss vs. one specific change.
"Last seen" in Tessie is when it last saw the car, which it monitors in the background when the car is active. "Last seen" in the Tesla app is when you opened it.

Nope, nothing unusual reported. We haven't changed anything on our end. Tesla is working on a new architecture that sends back data when the car sleeps/wakes/undergoes an update. Possible that they're messing with something there.

OK thanks, I wouldn't be surprised if that new Tesla work isn't it.

Just for clarification, in case, I didn't clearly described the situation, I'm seeing two behaviors:

1) Losing about 1% a day in the garage (no sentry, etc.) vs. at least 3 days to see a 1% drop

2) Normally, if I don't open the Tesla app, don't use the car, I'll occasionally check on it, maybe once a day, I'll see "Last seen" of several hours, or a day or more (if it's been that long). Now when I open the Tesla app, no matter how long I wait (like I tested it at about 6 hours), I'm always seeing "Last seen" of < 15 minutes[?]

So I kind of considered those related, more app activity / less car sleep = more vampire drain

Just for clarification, in case, I didn't clearly described the situation, I'm seeing two behaviors:

1) Losing about 1% a day in the garage (no sentry, etc.) vs. at least 3 days to see a 1% drop

2) Normally, if I don't open the Tesla app, don't use the car, I'll occasionally check on it, maybe once a day, I'll see "Last seen" of several hours, or a day or more (if it's been that long). Now when I open the Tesla app, no matter how long I wait (like I tested it at about 6 hours), I'm always seeing "Last seen" of < 15 minutes[?]

So I kind of considered those related, more app activity / less car sleep = more vampire drain
#1 could be temperature related. The battery level changes with temperature, so you can even have gains while the car is idle. For example, if the battery was cold and gradually warmed up over several days, you might not see any drop in percentage because the reported battery % is rising in parallel with the actual energy in the battery decreasing, so there's no visible change.

The BMS may also have rebalanced during this time, which can also cause the battery level to rise or decrease differently from what you'd expect.

I've not heard of #2 before. That seems like an app bug or they've changed something. Could be that new architecture as well.

Last edited:

My car is garaged just a wooden door away from a room I spend a fair bit of time in, so I can hear the contactors on the big battery click when it sleeps/wakes. I have sentry mode disabled so “normal” is that the car goes to sleep a short while after I park it and it stays asleep until I go somewhere.

What I have noticed over the last 2-3 days - with nothing changing with the car or other environment - is that the car is waking about every 30 minutes, staying awake for 5 minutes or so, then going back to sleep (from what I can tell from the contactor sounds then looking at whether the car is awake or not). My car is on firmware 2022.20.8 and has been for over 3 weeks.

Sounds like my symptoms may be pointing to the same thing as @MaskedRacerX describes above as happening on their car - more time awake, and lots of sleep/wake cycles (rather than staying nicely asleep) would cause higher battery drain. I see the same as they describe as far as the “Last seen” too, and again for me this is new/different since just the last couple of days.

I have just turned off monitoring in Tessie (1/2 hour ago) and done nothing else and will see if that makes any difference to anything. Will report back in this thread in a couple of hours either way.

• Informative
Reactions: MaskedRacerX
My car is garaged just a wooden door away from a room I spend a fair bit of time in, so I can hear the contactors on the big battery click when it sleeps/wakes. I have sentry mode disabled so “normal” is that the car goes to sleep a short while after I park it and it stays asleep until I go somewhere.

What I have noticed over the last 2-3 days - with nothing changing with the car or other environment - is that the car is waking about every 30 minutes, staying awake for 5 minutes or so, then going back to sleep (from what I can tell from the contactor sounds then looking at whether the car is awake or not). My car is on firmware 2022.20.8 and has been for over 3 weeks.

Sounds like my symptoms may be pointing to the same thing as @MaskedRacerX describes above as happening on their car - more time awake, and lots of sleep/wake cycles (rather than staying nicely asleep) would cause higher battery drain. I see the same as they describe as far as the “Last seen” too, and again for me this is new/different since just the last couple of days.

I have just turned off monitoring in Tessie (1/2 hour ago) and done nothing else and will see if that makes any difference to anything. Will report back in this thread in a couple of hours either way.
Interesting! Email your findings to [email protected] along with your account email so we can see what's going on and try some things.

@MaskedRacerX Likewise, please send over your account email.

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
Thanks for the quick reply @James@Tessie

I listened and it sounds like the car is doing the same sleep/wake/sleep thing with vehicle monitoring disabled in Tessie, so I have re-enabled it again now, as it doesn’t seem to make a difference either way, and seems either something in the (2022.20.8) firmware itself is misbehaving since 3 days ago (after being fine for the previous 3 weeks) or Tesla has made some backend changes in the last few days which are interacting badly with that firmware. Either way the car not staying asleep is definitely a new thing in the last few days, and odds are it’s not just my car and @MaskedRacerX who is affected by it.

I just went out to my car and it has just been offered the update to firmware 2022.24.6 so I have that downloading now. Will see what happens after that has installed, and again will report back to this thread.

Reactions: James@Tessie