Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Official Tessie app talk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Data sharing is definitely enabled in the Model Y, I don’t know the setting of the Model 3 unfortunately (it’s my Dad’s vehicle, 2+ hours away)

I’ve emailed support, happy to help and thanks for looking into this! Am convinced it’s not Tessie at any fault here given the M3 results.
Try turning Data Sharing off on the Model Y and see if there's any change.

Try turning Data Sharing off on the Model Y and see if there's any change.
Will do, though it’s staying on tonight due to a combination of late uk time, torrential rain and a raging electrical storm and my total apathy at getting my pyjamas wet as a result 😂

I also dug into the UniFi WiFi logs for the Model Y and the data transfer could easily be “debuggy”. Some pretty big transfers going on, tens of Mb. I haven’t even knowingly opened the Tesla app this evening. Time stamps UK local time (UTC+1)

0C64B2DD-C6DA-4FAD-89B3-5B976F693CAC.png

Finally, I have to congratulate you on the great job with the Tessie weather visualisations. I wasn’t previously aware that they were so complete as to visualise the lightning in an electrical storm!

Oh and I should also add that Tessie gets extra points from me in that that the electrical storm vfx appear to have been thoughtfully crafted to avoid triggering unwanted photosensitive reactions as much as possible. I see and appreciate the intent and effort even though I’m not photosensitive myself.

Reactions: James@Tessie
Will do, though it’s staying on tonight due to a combination of late uk time, torrential rain and a raging electrical storm and my total apathy at getting my pyjamas wet as a result 😂

I also dug into the UniFi WiFi logs for the Model Y and the data transfer could easily be “debuggy”. Some pretty big transfers going on, tens of Mb. I haven’t even knowingly opened the Tesla app this evening. Time stamps UK local time (UTC+1)

View attachment 849273

Finally, I have to congratulate you on the great job with the Tessie weather visualisations. I wasn’t previously aware that they were so complete as to visualise the lightning in an electrical storm!
Thanks!

These are definitely Tesla mothership downloads/uploads. Nothing else can download or upload data to or from the car besides media streaming. You could leave both the Tessie and Tesla apps open permanently for this entire timeframe and it wouldn't even be 1% of this amount.

If anyone else is experiencing crazy frequent wakes, try disabling Software > Data Sharing and see if that fixes it!

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Thanks!

These are definitely Tesla mothership downloads/uploads. Nothing else can download or upload data to or from the car besides media streaming. You could leave both the Tessie and Tesla apps open permanently for this entire timeframe and it wouldn't even be 1% of this amount.

If anyone else is experiencing crazy frequent wakes, try disabling Safety & Security > Data Sharing and see if that fixes it!
Right I took advantage of a lull in the storm to go and disable data sharing in-car (Software > > Data Sharing) at 23:08 UK local time. Turning in for the night and will check sleep overnight tomorrow morning.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
I am going to try the suggestion from James@Tessie about disabling data sharing.

Just as additional data points on cars suddenly having this same sleeping-but-not-staying-asleep issue since about a week ago (seemingly regardless of which - if any at all - monitoring apps they might have noticed it from), here are a couple of other TMC threads I have stumbled across. Certainly it is not unique to Tessie, and I feel bad wasting James’ time and thread with it, but for people having the same issue with their cars (and Tessie makes it easy to see if it is happening with your car, even if you can’t hear your car’s battery contactors opening/closing from where you spend all day like I can) these threads might be worth watching too.

* People using TeslaFi (or nothing): Model 3 odd sleep / wake behavior

* People using TeslaScope: 2022.20 (if the link doesn’t work, it is from the start of Page 35 in the thread “2022.20” in the “The UK and Ireland” sub-forum.

Model Y’s sleep much improved last night :

D8C57D95-4880-45AA-8668-1C4950D47658.png

There were two “wakes” post charging. One was at 4.30am which was expected and was Tessie sending a scheduled “Stop Charging”. The other was at 0619, for reasons unknown. The 0619 wake did not result in a Wifi connection.

So, much better sleep on the Y after disabling data sharing.

The Model 3 has been sound asleep since charging completed at 0419 and remains asleep now

Model Y’s sleep much improved last night :

View attachment 849413

There were two “wakes” post charging. One was at 4.30am which was expected and was Tessie sending a scheduled “Stop Charging”. The other was at 0619, for reasons unknown. The 0619 wake did not result in a Wifi connection.

So, much better sleep on the Y after disabling data sharing.

The Model 3 has been sound asleep since charging completed at 0419 and remains asleep now
Excellent. Thanks for confirming this.

So Data Sharing it is. I've updated our documentation to mention disabling it when experiencing frequent wakes.

I'm guessing this mass data collection corresponds to the fleet-wide removal of radar and migration to Tesla Vision that began in 2022.20. It would make sense that they're doing data collection to verify the results before proceeding with the roll out.

Reactions: Utumno
Excellent. Thanks for confirming this.

So Data Sharing it is. I've updated our documentation to recommend disabling this when experiencing extreme wake ups.

I'm guessing this mass data collection corresponds to the fleet-wide removal of radar and migration to Tesla Vision that began in 2022.20. It would make sense that they're doing data collection to verify the results before proceeding with the roll out.
Well, it’s a bit hamfisted if it’s that given my Y is Vision-only already 😀

One other thought I had was that it might possibly be related to a mass data gather for the in-cabin camera which I think was also recently turned on for one specific feature.

Reactions: James@Tessie
Well, it’s a bit hamfisted if it’s that given my Y is Vision-only already 😀

One other thought I had was that it might possibly be related to a mass data gather for the in-cabin camera which I think was also recently turned on for one specific feature.
Likely collecting from all cars to A/B test vision-only to radar-to-vision-only and making sure the performance and behavior matches.

This type of thing is a super standard practice in big software rollouts and data migrations.

• Informative
Reactions: Utumno
Is there any way to pull up data in a browser at TESSIE.COM and not use the app on a mobile device, specifically Android? Even if I choose "use desktop site" I'm forced to use the app. Some screens, like the sleep activity, lack enough contrast for my eyes and you cannot zoom into them via the app.

Is there any way to pull up data in a browser at TESSIE.COM and not use the app on a mobile device, specifically Android? Even if I choose "use desktop site" I'm forced to use the app. Some screens, like the sleep activity, lack enough contrast for my eyes and you cannot zoom into them via the app.
There's no way to do that right now, sorry. Sleep activity will have a clearer view in the next update.