Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Official Tessie app talk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tessie app, can you use it with Android phone/watch?
I just installed the Tessie app yesterday, I am not really convinced I need it, since I don't care about all of the history and metrics that Tessie app provides. However, one thing I was hoping to achieve is the voice-activated operation of my Y model with Google voice assistant, Android phone and Android watch. So far, I have found very limited info on the internet about how to use Google Voice Assistance for Tessie and Tesla, and even those that I found have contradicting comments that it is no longer available on Google Assistance.
Does anyone here use Tessie and and Android phone/watch to use voice-activated commands for Tesla? If so, any chance you have a link on how to properly set it up?
I tried Tessie's FAQ and could not figure it out as some steps clearly missing in the instructions.
Thank you.

Recently picked up a MY and realized how helpful having a single graph like Teslafi that displays multiple datasets. It's much easier looking at the graph and being able to see a snapshot at any point in time, eg at 15% soc, I am seeing 200kWh.

The other thing I found very helpful was being able to see efficiency at a certain speed. I added a new ski rack and am interested in how speed affects my efficiency.

Tessie app, can you use it with Android phone/watch?
I just installed the Tessie app yesterday, I am not really convinced I need it, since I don't care about all of the history and metrics that Tessie app provides. However, one thing I was hoping to achieve is the voice-activated operation of my Y model with Google voice assistant, Android phone and Android watch. So far, I have found very limited info on the internet about how to use Google Voice Assistance for Tessie and Tesla, and even those that I found have contradicting comments that it is no longer available on Google Assistance.
Does anyone here use Tessie and and Android phone/watch to use voice-activated commands for Tesla? If so, any chance you have a link on how to properly set it up?
I tried Tessie's FAQ and could not figure it out as some steps clearly missing in the instructions.
Thank you.
Google deleted all voice apps in June. Now the only way to do this is via an integration with IFTTT. The instructions are on the help site here: Use Google Home or Assistant to control your Tesla - Help Center - Tessie

edit: working with Google to bring more native support back to Android's Google Assistant. TBD on that but optimistic. Hopefully will work on watches too!

Last edited:
Recently picked up a MY and realized how helpful having a single graph like Teslafi that displays multiple datasets. It's much easier looking at the graph and being able to see a snapshot at any point in time, eg at 15% soc, I am seeing 200kWh.

The other thing I found very helpful was being able to see efficiency at a certain speed. I added a new ski rack and am interested in how speed affects my efficiency.
Please email screenshots of this to me at [email protected]. Thank you!

Should work perfect on a Pixel Watch 2.

If it's not connecting follow the troubleshooting steps here. If even that isn't working you can try the latest beta by joining here.
So I've done some testing. I did remove the watch as a key in the car and re added and while it worked, as soon as the watch disconnected it has never connected back on it's own and never works again as a Key.... so

In all scenarios, the Watch itself will not work as Key, so no ability to auto unlock car, start the car, and will not show connected in the car.

I have a Pixel 8 Pro and Pixel Watch 2. If anyone else has an alternative experience with those devices I'd appreciate the comments.

Ok anyways, with Tesla (not Tessie) App as Key and Watch set up as Key, again, will never reconnect after initial pairing and will not work as a Key, won't show as connected in both Watch (Notification or Watch App), and obviously not shown as connected in the car

If the Tessie App on Phone is set up as Phone Key, the Watch will show connected (Notification and in the Watch App), but again, the watch will not be usable as a Key, will not show connected in the car. One major downside, and why I can't keep the Tessie App on my phone as a key (which I'd like to do for all the door eject capabilities), is it causes a Watch Battery Drain

I've done plenty of reboots with all devices involved.

So I've done some testing. I did remove the watch as a key in the car and re added and while it worked, as soon as the watch disconnected it has never connected back on it's own and never works again as a Key.... so

In all scenarios, the Watch itself will not work as Key, so no ability to auto unlock car, start the car, and will not show connected in the car.

I have a Pixel 8 Pro and Pixel Watch 2. If anyone else has an alternative experience with those devices I'd appreciate the comments.

Ok anyways, with Tesla (not Tessie) App as Key and Watch set up as Key, again, will never reconnect after initial pairing and will not work as a Key, won't show as connected in both Watch (Notification or Watch App), and obviously not shown as connected in the car

If the Tessie App on Phone is set up as Phone Key, the Watch will show connected (Notification and in the Watch App), but again, the watch will not be usable as a Key, will not show connected in the car. One major downside, and why I can't keep the Tessie App on my phone as a key (which I'd like to do for all the door eject capabilities), is it causes a Watch Battery Drain

I've done plenty of reboots with all devices involved.
We found an issue with reconnects on some devices that we're working on right now. It will be out in beta soon for you to try.

It doesn't make any sense that Phone Key would cause Watch battery drain though. The two apps do not interact literally at all.

edit for a tip: if you like Phone/Watch Key, but want it to use less battery, turn off background location for Tessie and it will only connect when the app is open. It already uses the Bluetooth Low Energy protocol for minimal battery usage but you still might find this helpful.

Last edited:
I've been using Tessie for about six weeks (previously had used TeslaMate for 2.5 years). I'm very happy with Tessie! Also, I recently discovered how to rearrange the tiles on the main screen. I had been looking for an edit button, but it's even easier than that. Just press/hold then drag.

I do have a question. Twice in the last few weeks Tessie has started a drive about a half mile from my home. I do have Tessie set to always use my location and background app refresh is on. Any ideas on why?

I've been using Tessie for about six weeks (previously had used TeslaMate for 2.5 years). I'm very happy with Tessie! Also, I recently discovered how to rearrange the tiles on the main screen. I had been looking for an edit button, but it's even easier than that. Just press/hold then drag.

I do have a question. Twice in the last few weeks Tessie has started a drive about a half mile from my home. I do have Tessie set to always use my location and background app refresh is on. Any ideas on why?
Same for me! Happened this morning and yesterday afternoon. Both drives started approximately 20 minutes after departure.
Yep. It's a Tesla firmware bug in the car systems we use for tracking. It is worse on Next-Gen. You can fix it for now by keeping Sentry Mode enabled. I'm working with Tesla on getting a new fleet telemetry system activated in the car which will not have this problem.

Hi,

I installed Tessie a few days ago - and am noticing a few issues. I’m not sure if they’re caused by Tessie, or just more visible because of Tessie.

The first issue is that the graph of cabin temperature is showing a saw toothed pattern, where there is a constant cycle of heating up then cooling down. When I’ve periodically looked at the Tesla app previously when the car is parked it’s always just been at ambient temperature - so it does seem that somehow Tessie is causing the car to repeatedly heat up.

The second issue - and I suspect this may have been happening before installing Tessie, and it’s just that Tessie makes it more visible: the charging seems to top up when plugged in. The issue here is that we are with Intelligent Octopus, and the agreement is that we de-activate any automated charging and let Octopus handle it. When you plug the car in it starts charging (at peak rate, so we end up having to manually stop charging in the Tesla app) - but as soon as Octopus detects it’s plugged in (which can take up to 30 minutes) it stops charging and sets a schedule. We get guaranteed cheap rates between 11:30pm and 5:30am, but Octopus may schedule additional charging times outside of those hours also at cheap rate (ie. If your car is low on charge and you tell it you don’t need the car to be ready until 8am the next day it may schedule charging from 4am to 7am all at cheap rate. However, what I’m seeing is that the Tessie app is telling me that it’s topping up at peak rate even when Octopus haven’t scheduled charging. Unfortunately Octopus support were really clueless when I contacted them - their suggestions were to disconnect the car from their app and reconnect etc but nothing helped - it turned out the issue was that their system isn’t very quick at detecting you have plugged the car in so in the end their advice was to manually stop it charging when you plug in and wait for the schedule to be set. Hower this doesn’t prevent it topping up after the peak rate ends the following morning.

Hi,

I installed Tessie a few days ago - and am noticing a few issues. I’m not sure if they’re caused by Tessie, or just more visible because of Tessie.

The first issue is that the graph of cabin temperature is showing a saw toothed pattern, where there is a constant cycle of heating up then cooling down. When I’ve periodically looked at the Tesla app previously when the car is parked it’s always just been at ambient temperature - so it does seem that somehow Tessie is causing the car to repeatedly heat up.

The second issue - and I suspect this may have been happening before installing Tessie, and it’s just that Tessie makes it more visible: the charging seems to top up when plugged in. The issue here is that we are with Intelligent Octopus, and the agreement is that we de-activate any automated charging and let Octopus handle it. When you plug the car in it starts charging (at peak rate, so we end up having to manually stop charging in the Tesla app) - but as soon as Octopus detects it’s plugged in (which can take up to 30 minutes) it stops charging and sets a schedule. We get guaranteed cheap rates between 11:30pm and 5:30am, but Octopus may schedule additional charging times outside of those hours also at cheap rate (ie. If your car is low on charge and you tell it you don’t need the car to be ready until 8am the next day it may schedule charging from 4am to 7am all at cheap rate. However, what I’m seeing is that the Tessie app is telling me that it’s topping up at peak rate even when Octopus haven’t scheduled charging. Unfortunately Octopus support were really clueless when I contacted them - their suggestions were to disconnect the car from their app and reconnect etc but nothing helped - it turned out the issue was that their system isn’t very quick at detecting you have plugged the car in so in the end their advice was to manually stop it charging when you plug in and wait for the schedule to be set. Hower this doesn’t prevent it topping up after the peak rate ends the following morning.
It's a quirk in the temperature sensor that Tesla uses. It is calibrating/resetting and happens to all modern Teslas ever produced. If you search these forums or Google you will find thousands of posts on this dating back to the original Model S in 2012.

Everyone with Octopus experiences that. Octopus can only stop the car from charging after it periodically checks on it.

Hi,

My approach is to set the charging schedule in the car to 23:30. Sure I need to change it once Octopus schedules the charge (I guess I could automate it - or just leave it) but it never charges as soon as plugged in. If Octopus wants to charge before then it’ll start it anyway.

Reactions: James@Tessie