Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Thread: Cybertruck (Cybrtrk) Event - Nov 21, 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is a really beautiful pickup. I like that you can close the storage compartment; one of my primary problems with regular pickups is that people can steal things out of them. This is a huge advancement in the beauty and features of a pickup.

I find its max towing disappointing, since the Ford F-350 dually-back four wheel drive can tow over 31,000# for only $53K, but the top-spec Tesla CyberTruck at $77K can only tow 14,000#. I hope they can improve upon that towing capacity with a high capacity CyberTruck, such as a CyberTruck Heavy or something. That vehicle might need to be made in only one factory out of heavier components, have a larger battery, and a towing capacity possibly around what the F-350 dually can do. At least 14,000# is more than the Model X, which can only tow 5,000#.

I just barely saw the interior pictures, and I must say, it seems to part with the comfort of a pickup. They look hard to get into, like cars, and cramped, like cars. In that respect, it reminds me of the Ranchero which my dad used to have, but at least the Ranchero had a comfortable bench seat which didn't have those stupid torture chamber bucket seats. I hate the torture bucket seats Tesla requires. They are constantly painful. A Judas Goat engineered them for Tesla, and he needs to open up chairs to third parties. I really wish (like Jack Rickard) that Tesla would open up third party aftermarket support and full owner and third party service and repairabilty of Tesla vehicles, especially this pickup.

I like the idea of a paint-free truck and a paint-free Airstream trailer

I love that Stainless Steel exterior. That is superb. I really hope regulators don't ruin that.

I also hope they fix the steel window problem they had during the window bust test. I wonder what caused that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lasairfion
Watch the video on the website. It is starting to grow on me a bit. It’s basically the Mars rover and does make traditional trucks look old and boring.

Took your advice ... Von Holzhausen severely pulled his punches with the hammer to stainless door, which kinda worked, if you enjoy WWE. Then he tried to throw the steel ball softly at the side window, whereas the script called for this test on the front windscreen ... ouchies, doublefail megacringe!

Still, with the ruggedness, features and price, I'm starting to believe CYBRTRK is destined for instant cult status.
Gangsta' Rappers and landscape-gardeners will love 'em this fugly beast!

I must admit to me all pickup trucks look fugly to begin with.
In light of that I think the Cybertruck at least looks futuristically fugly.
Plus, it is so radical that it might win over more and more people over time. Often things that look controversial in the beginning start to grow on people over time. Look at the BMW i3. To me it still looks fugly as hell, but ever more people I know have started to like the design, so much so that they bought one in the end, even though most of them dismissed the design when it was revealed.
Hence I wouldn't write off the Cybertruck just yet. Plus Tesla still has a couple of years for tweaking (and getting the window glass right).

The thing that would irk me the most in daily driving is this steering "wheel".

Reactions: ZsoZso and OPRCE
Looks like the interior is actually pretty huge. Saw a vid online of the beginning of one of the test drives and the passengers in the back had a ton of head and legroom. The look has grown on me slightly after seeing some different angles, but I don’t think that profile will ever stop being ugly to me. I’m just not a fan of a lot of straight lines and sharp angles.
I’m still thinking about putting down a deposit just because the price is pretty good for the stats stated, and looks aren’t a huge deal to me (I drove an OG Leaf for three years). It’s only 100 bucks to do it, too. I do wonder how many preorders follow through with an actual order with a refundable deposit that low.

I just did a review of Instagram and Twitter posts (organized chronologically for most accurate results). Result:

Twitter users all acted like Non-Playing Characters, complaining about it, as if they prefer the look of tirds rather than the beautiful new "CyberTruck" car. Keep in mind that this review happened after The Purge, when Twitter got rid of a bunch of normal human beings. All that's left are the tird lovers, so I'm not really surprised!

Instagram posters were saying how great it looked, and a huge portion of them were posting pics of them ordering it. The "CyberTruck" is selling fast, as it would, looking so beautiful! People that are aesthetically inclinded and on Instagram love it. That is what I expected from normal people.

Result: yes, divisive, but many people like the #cybertruck. I think those that don't like it are somehow bent.

I still think the interior seats are a mistake, since they look like booster torture bucket seats for children. That's one of the worst problems I had with my Model S: the seats were torture. I'd rather have comfortable bench seats for men of man-sized proportions in the CyberTruck. They shouldn't even default it with the torture seats if they're trying to sell to men.

Here's a quick video of our experience at the Cybertruck unveiling tonight. Not much commentary because frankly, we were so excited we were pretty much just taking in everything that was happening before, during, and after the talk. I even captured a Tesla coil demo they did for everyone before the show began.

What happened to a work truck? Truck buyers will not buy that truck. It's a toy for rich kids wanting to appear edgy.
Many existing pickups are for vain drivers trying to look edgy. I don't think it's a stretch to think people will use the CyberTruck for work. If it holds up as advertised, all the jealous visually impaired old pickup owners will see soon that it is a basic work truck with good haulage (more than 3/4 ton) and doesn't damage easily.

I think that is still to be seen.

If you look at visually oriented people on Instagram, they're already ordering it.

If you look at the word-oriented post-Purge non-player-character tirds on Twitter, they almost all fall in line with writing plenty of words about how they are not part of the market segment for that vehicle. Some of those non-customers post examples of what vehicles they do prefer, and all the vehicles those non-customers prefer look like tirds. They literally don't matter.

I think its cool. The f150s look weird to me. Well done Franz and design team.

star-trek-nodding.gif

What happened to a work truck?
There are many kinds of work -- what were you thinking of ?

In my city the main use of trucks is to tow for recreation but for people who want a power source or to carry tools or tow equipment it looks more than capable. The 240v and air compressor are great touches.

Side comments:
  • I suspect that the design language was in no small part mandated by the material used. On an emotional level this thing is an unapologetic brute.
  • The broken windows was a funny distraction for a moment but I was most annoyed by the slide that said '110/220 volt.' At least they did not confuse kW with kWh
  • The absence of side mirrors made me think this presentation was closer to a concept show

Last edited:
I'm back from work. Managed to catch the reveal at 4am this morning just before I had to leave for the day.

A few notes, the interior view mirror is a digital screen, the dashboard is made of paper, and there is plenty of headroom in the back. Also there appears to be storage under/behind the rear seats in that triangle. Dunno if the steering wheel will make it, but I hope that the exterior mirrors stay digital (depends on lawmakers).

My thoughts: I love it. The first reveal was a surprise, I thought it would be taller looking, but it reminds me of a lot of my favourite 80s cars like the Lamborghini Countach and the DMC DeLorean gone super-sized. It's very retro-futuristic and I've found that the more I see it the more I like it.

The styling might be polarising but the specs speak volumes about Tesla's ability to provide bang for your buck. This is going to eat into a market-place where people care about utility. If I were, say, a mining or construction company or a government agency, I'd be working out the running costs and buying a truck-load.

What happened to a work truck? Truck buyers will not buy that truck. It's a toy for rich kids wanting to appear edgy.
Most of the people i know that have pickup trucks have them as work trucks as in the use them to go to work in there office. No way that the community I live in has as many construction, electrician, carpenters, etc, that the amount of pickup trucks would imply if they were "work" trucks and the pricing makes it not just for rich kids.

To be honest the look is a little shocking to me. I would like the sharp edges smoothed over and to see it in colors. I think the stainless steel look of the prototypes really made many say DeLorean. I hate pickup trucks in general there is nothing attractive about them. i understand people that need to haul stuff and construction type workers need them, but dont think that most pickup trucks are purchased for that reason.

Last edited: