Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Thread: Cybertruck (Cybrtrk) Event - Nov 21, 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haha, I love all the outrage. Reminds me of the hate on Apple fan sites when they first announced the iPod.

I personally think it looks so absurd that I absolutely love it. I placed two orders for it to replace my Model 3 and Ram 1500.

99% of people might think it's fugly, but I LOVE it. It's so unique that I'd take it over a high-end Range Rover, G-Wagon, or even a supercar. Bottom line is that I'm buying it for me and not everyone else. :)
My first reaction was, too bad. But after looking at it for a few minutes, even with the starred windows, it grew on me. If I needed a pickup with room for lots of passengers, I would seriously consider it. And the price is right.

It's obvious the designer of the CyberTruck has never used a pickup as a work vehicle. I imagine that those who have put down their orders will be using it for recreational purposes. As a work vehicle it's not very practical because it'll have the same problem the 1st generation Honda Ridgeline had: The lift-over height along the sides of the bed is too high to get stuff out, and that's no trivial matter. That'll eliminate a huge portion of potential buyers. Honda had the smarts to do a redesign for its 2nd generation.

I place my preorder praying there will be design changes by 2022. Meanwhile I also reserved a slot for an ATLIS Truck. 500 mile range 15 Minute recharge. 17,000 lbs Towing 35,000lbs MaxGCWR. www.atlismotorvehicles.com
4FC46030-7F5C-45C7-920B-C6BB5B3C5FC2.jpeg

I watched the intoduction last night, and got some video feedback on riding in the vehicle. To be honest, it caught me off guard and for awhile I could not decide if I did or did not like it. Well, I do like it. I like the design and materials put into it. I am not a pickup guy and honestly have no desire to buy one...but I do think a lot of technology went into this vehicle. I would like to see some low life try to key this truck. I got use to the Hummers in the Army, I can get use to this Tesla truck on the road.

It's obvious the designer of the CyberTruck has never used a pickup as a work vehicle. I imagine that those who have put down their orders will be using it for recreational purposes. As a work vehicle it's not very practical because it'll have the same problem the 1st generation Honda Ridgeline had: The lift-over height along the sides of the bed is too high to get stuff out, and that's no trivial matter. That'll eliminate a huge portion of potential buyers. Honda had the smarts to do a redesign for its 2nd generation.
it didn't have to be that way. You could have the same eye grabbing truck with a more traditional bed/cover/access. I did a 2cent drawing of this with paint over the image. someone else did a nice photoshop of the same thing. much better vehicle. screw that lid

• Funny
Reactions: Runarbt and CarlK
In the 35 years I spent working out of a pickup the first thing I learned was not to get anything over the side. My tool belt or whatever I was after would bang into the side of the bed. What I did want was a bed with higher side rails so I could cover taller stuff with a tonneau. This truck is perfect for what I needed as a work truck.
Practically speaking the days of reaching over the side of a pickup has not been possible for a long time. 4x are just too jacked up.

that will be interesting as they are making this thing seem like it is extremely rigid and strong... meaning the occupants have to absorb the impact. does it actually have crumple zones?
I do not know this as fact but I have heard that the flat panel styling was dictated by low ductility of the metal skin. If that is true, the skin may crack or shatter when deformed in a collision. Tesla seems committed to safety so I feel confident the truck will perform well in a crash.

• Informative
Reactions: Runarbt
It's disappointing because the Tesla Roadster was one of a kind and it was beautiful. Even the Model 3 has unbelievable features for an affordable price and still looks really great. This looks like a vehicle on an inhabited Mars, and I think that's really really cool. But I would be embarrassed driving this around. Maybe if I worked for Tesla, or I had a personality of just doing really outrageous trend setting stuff I wouldn't care. But the reality for me is I find it to be a very unattractive earth vehicle I would not like drive.

We put in our deposit on the long-range version. You can see what we will be towing in my avatar. I'm a bit put off by the design, but I wanted something a bit different, and I think it will grow on me.

Ditto. Put in a deposit for the tri-motor to tow my Airstream, which I’m currently towing with my X, as you can also see in my avatar. First thought the design was a joke but it is definitely growing on me. Specs are unbeatable.

In the 35 years I spent working out of a pickup the first thing I learned was not to get anything over the side. My tool belt or whatever I was after would bang into the side of the bed. What I did want was a bed with higher side rails so I could cover taller stuff with a tonneau. This truck is perfect for what I needed as a work truck.
Practically speaking the days of reaching over the side of a pickup has not been possible for a long time. 4x are just too jacked up.

Why the sail pillar ... similar reasoning to the Chevrolet Avalanche usage

Title: Here’s why the Tesla Cybertruck has its crazy look
Saved-You-A-Click: Because it's a unibody truck
Here’s why the Tesla Cybertruck has its crazy look – TechCrunch

There are some buyers who will not find it as usable due to the sides. Of all my uses, the loading of firewood will be harder but I can still use it for that job. All my other regular jobs with a pickup are fine on the Cybertruck. Due to the rolling vault cover, it can be used for some van like purposes as well, like local delivery for small businesses. When you consider the price of gas, this will actually gain some van buyers.

Reactions: Runarbt
I'm going to park it between my SSR and my MS. Leave my 3500HD out in the drieway. My Rad ebikes will fit perfectly in the back, and charge on the way to our next offroad adventure.
I imagine driving it will be like driving our model S across Canada in 2013, nobody believed it had a future either.

Attachments

• 20191108_145643.jpg
    20191108_145643.jpg
    740.7 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: Lasairfion