Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Thread: Cybertruck (Cybrtrk) Event - Nov 21, 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ditto. Put in a deposit for the tri-motor to tow my Airstream, which I’m currently towing with my X, as you can also see in my avatar. First thought the design was a joke but it is definitely growing on me. Specs are unbeatable.
Am I the only X+Airstream guy in this forum who didn't bite?

Very cool, I agree on the specs, they're incredible. I'm not sure what I'll be towing in 2023 (when bulk deliveries are more likely to begin) so I'm just going to wait and see. Maybe the rest of the cars on the road will catch up to this design in the meantime, and it'll look traditional in 2023.. ;)

In fairness, I see this as holding a position in the queue. May change my mind as I’m still tempted by Rivian. Haven’t put down a deposit for it but its extra range and design is tempting. Heck, I’d even be tempted by a higher range Model X but I don’t see anything that will top Cybrtrk on that front mid-term. And of course, having the towing capacity to upgrade to a heavier Airstream would not disappoint.

@ohmman, I don't have a trailer yet but I ordered the Tri-motor right away. As you may remember, I've got my eye on the Bowlus Endless Highways. Now the big decision is, go ahead and get the trailer now or within the next year and struggle with range on my MX, plus having to swap out wheels, or just wait until I get the truck.

Very cool, I agree on the specs, they're incredible. I'm not sure what I'll be towing in 2023 (when bulk deliveries are more likely to begin) so I'm just going to wait and see. Maybe the rest of the cars on the road will catch up to this design in the meantime, and it'll look traditional in 2023.. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
In fairness, I see this as holding a position in the queue. May change my mind as I’m still tempted by Rivian. Haven’t put down a deposit for it but its extra range and design is tempting. Heck, I’d even be tempted by a higher range Model X but I don’t see anything that will top Cybrtrk on that front mid-term. And of course, having the towing capacity to upgrade to a heavier Airstream would not disappoint.
My take is that the pricing and range of this truck is more indicative of Tesla’s projections for battery pricing and capacity in a few years. Whether they decide to improve the range on the X is to be seen, but I can’t imagine that the range improvements wouldn’t trickle down to the rest of the line.

I don’t see this truck as being extremely constrained on deliveries, so I’m just going to wait. If I change my mind, I imagine I’ll be able to get one without an extraordinary wait. In the meantime I will probably upgrade our X to whatever the longest range model is next year.

Actually they were revealed:
Length: 231.7" (19.3')
Width: 79.8" (6.65')
Height: 75.8" (6.32')

In comparison, my Model X:
Length: 16.5'
Width: 81.6" (with mirrors folded)
Height: 66"

"The key missing stats from the reveal are the exterior dimensions, and they have to be gargantuan."

Note the f-150 dimensions are mirror to mirror, comparable width in this comparison is more like 83.5. The Tesla has no front engine box to waste space on.

Attachments

• 55C887A2-0B7F-4232-A213-E949FD2E7812.jpeg
    55C887A2-0B7F-4232-A213-E949FD2E7812.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 72
All of the comparing about “can’t fit a sheet of plywood,” well most 1/2 trucks sold are of the comparable short bed size. Tesla’s short bed is much longer than the most popular trucks sold. Need a long bed? Well they’re all hideously proportioned... so stop complaining about style

Reactions: Hank42
Neither Honda Odyssey (6.5' wide), nor F150 or Hummer H1 (both 7.2' wide) can seat 3 adults across, comfortably.
Cyber*uck then has to be 8+ feet wide to pull that off.

I sat in the back with 2 other adults and none of us are small people.

Nobody discusses nuances like that because it’s all the chatter is about the controversial shape. :)

This will not fit in a lot of garages but I don’t think it has to. A lot of large trucks are not parked inside.

The elements are not going to damage the “paint”.

Only new inconvenience to tend with is to have charging on the side of a home or business to plug in. I happen to already have that setup as I didn’t want to constantly back my volt in and out of the single car garage.

All of the comparing about “can’t fit a sheet of plywood,” well most 1/2 trucks sold are of the comparable short bed size. Tesla’s short bed is much longer than the most popular trucks sold. Need a long bed? Well they’re all hideously proportioned... so stop complaining about style

People are wanting the same ship to be a submarine, destroyer, and aircraft carrier.

Rivian bed is 4 1/2 feet. What’s that going to haul?

Maybe over time, Tesla has more than one Cybertruck trim but you have to start with something.

My take is that the pricing and range of this truck is more indicative of Tesla’s projections for battery pricing and capacity in a few years.

Yes, that’s what I believe as well and it’s probably why the longer version is scheduled to deliver a year later than the others. Such battery capacity doesn’t exist right now, though I read somewhere the tri-motor version would have two batteries stacked on top of one another. That would mean the capacity isn’t larger, there’s just more of them.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
Tom Giles
@tsgiles

a Delorean mated with a Pontiac Aztek.”

The most accurate description I have heard. I have an S and a pickup truck. I thought I might be able to have one vehicle with a Tesla pickup. Not this contraption! What the hell is Tesla thinking? And who needs bulletproof windows anyway? Tesla and Musk have turned themselves into a punchline.
The windows are not bullet proof, just toughened. It's the panels that can stop a 9mm at 10 meters. This is a misconception.

• Informative
Reactions: Lasairfion
It's obvious the designer of the CyberTruck has never used a pickup as a work vehicle. I imagine that those who have put down their orders will be using it for recreational purposes. As a work vehicle it's not very practical because it'll have the same problem the 1st generation Honda Ridgeline had: The lift-over height along the sides of the bed is too high to get stuff out, and that's no trivial matter. That'll eliminate a huge portion of potential buyers. Honda had the smarts to do a redesign for its 2nd generation.

Well, "work" encompasses a wide variety of activities. Where I live tradespeople drive far more vans than pickups. The van as a large moveable box is in most ways the most utilitarian vehicle.

But I do think that the cybertruck will appeal to a great many people who prefer truckish vehicles but don't need all the flexibility of a standard pickup bed. I agree with "recreational" in that many people will be buying the cybertruck with discretionary income, not as a logical business tool.