Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oil Change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed, electric blowers just don’t have the oomph yet. Also, I’d need about 5 batteries to do my lawn (usually takes me about 3.5 hours with a Husqvarna 570BTS, and I have to do that probably 5 or 6 times each autumn to keep the leaves from killing the lawn).
Mine is a 560 and plenty for my 1/4 acre yard. Biggest electric blower now via quick google search is a 690, out performs most combustion. I can see a golf course wanting the Husky 1000 though

Indeed, electric blowers just don’t have the oomph yet. Also, I’d need about 5 batteries to do my lawn (usually takes me about 3.5 hours with a Husqvarna 570BTS, and I have to do that probably 5 or 6 times each autumn to keep the leaves from killing the lawn).

yeah, that’s the exact issue... people think because electric works for them, it will work for anyone. Some of us need blowers that can push damp leaves 10 feet with every swipe.

Not everyone who buys an EV is on a crusade to save the planet. I have solar, powerwalls and a model 3, and in none of those purchases was the first consideration "save the planet". For me that was a nice side benefit, but all of them I got because they were best in class for what I was trying to address at the time.

For some of these electric devices, spare batteries are as expensive as the tools, so having several charged batteries lined up for an afternoon’s blowing is too expensive. Also, the batteries don’t do well sitting in the garage unused all spring and summer. My blower is only used from the end of October through the last snow - I use it to blow snow, too - it scours the driveway down to dry blacktop if we get less than 4 inches, especially if it’s powdery. Also, I can use it on surfaces the snow thrower can’t do well, like my bumpy brick walkway.

We do have an electric blower - a 60V hand blower we use for knocking spring tree trash off the deck, front porch, and walkway.

So why combustion leaf blower?
Well, I have an acre, with 10 maples, 10 oaks, and 20 birches, and a ton of pines. I own an electric leaf blower for my deck and to dry my Model 3. Good as a battery-powered leaf blower might be, they're not powerful enough to be practical for my purpose. They'd have to put out as much as a Husqvarna 580, 900+cfm, and run for a couple hours. Battery-powered blowers/mowers are getting better, but don't have the staying power when run on high. I've got to blast acorns, blanketing my property.
IMG_5144.jpeg

IMG_9074.jpeg

Last edited:
For some of these electric devices, spare batteries are as expensive as the tools, so having several charged batteries lined up for an afternoon’s blowing is too expensive. Also, the batteries don’t do well sitting in the garage unused all spring and summer. My blower is only used from the end of October through the last snow - I use it to blow snow, too - it scours the driveway down to dry blacktop if we get less than 4 inches, especially if it’s powdery. Also, I can use it on surfaces the snow thrower can’t do well, like my bumpy brick walkway.

We do have an electric blower - a 60V hand blower we use for knocking spring tree trash off the deck, front porch, and walkway.

I have 2 batteries for all yard equipment and inverters for electricity storage durring hurricanes. It takes less than one hour to charge one and my mower, leaf blower, chainsaw etc. can operate for an hour or more so 2 is all I need. Cut time is about 20 min with chainsaw but most of the time is spent moving around, clearing brush and piling wood.

Reactions: israndy
Well, I have an acre, with 10 maples, 10 oaks, and 20 birches, and a ton of pines. I own an electric leaf blower for my deck and to dry my Model 3. Good as a battery-powered leaf blower might be, they're not powerful enough to be practical for my purpose. They'd have to put out as much as a Husqvarna 580, 900+cfm, and run for a couple hours. Battery-powered blowers/mowers are getting better, but don't have the staying power when run on high. I've got to blast a carpet full of acorns.
View attachment 610974
Sounds like you need a leaf sweeper for Christmas

Well, I have an acre, with 10 maples, 10 oaks, and 20 birches, and a ton of pines. I own an electric leaf blower for my deck and to dry my Model 3. Good as a battery-powered leaf blower might be, they're not powerful enough to be practical for my purpose. They'd have to put out as much as a Husqvarna 580, 900+cfm, and run for a couple hours. Battery-powered blowers/mowers are getting better, but don't have the staying power when run on high. I've got to blast acorns, blanketing my property.
View attachment 610974
View attachment 610975

That picture of the trees is beautiful!

Reactions: KenC and luke68bird
"Saving the planet" by investing in new, electrical devices?
Buy a scythe, donate a polio shot, grow your own potatoes, eat less, don't wash your car so often, carpool (#PostCovid), volunteer, buy used, shower less.

Or, you know, drive a 2 ton car very fast on tarmac. Buying stuff saves the economy, not the planet
Hahahahaha! So glad to see someone else saying that kind of stuff. Meanwhile, the Tesla is a blast and at least I don't feel as guilty accelerating like a loon as I almost always can recapture much of it...

• Love
Reactions: Marius A
We're getting 20-25 cm tonight. Wish I had ordered that electric snow blower few weeks ago like I had intended.

Much as I love my Teslas, it's going to take a LOT to convince me to give up my Ariens snowblower. That thing's a beast.

I'm all for doing well by the environment, but replacing a perfectly working one isn't exactly environmentally friendly.

Same reason I haven't replaced my low-efficiency home A/C. It probably costs me an extra $300 or so a year in electricity ... but replacing a perfectly functional unit with a high-eff one seems like a mistake. Spending $10k to replace $300 annually sure feels like a losing bet. And not eco-friendly either - that old unit has to go somewhere ...

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
A bit of a touchy topic for me given I had some popping issues with my motor. Guess what? An "oil change" fixed it.

Per my repair description:
"Technician performed a test drive and found popping noise coming from both the front and rear of the vehicle. Performed a rear suspension check and lubricated axles, found noise from the rear still present. Inspected the rear drive unit and found oil color to be darker than expected with metal fragments. Performed flush of drive unit fluid and refilled and found noise from the rear was no longer present. Performed additional tests and isolated noise from the front of the vehicle to the passenger front seat mount cross beam joint. Adjusted rearward beam and sheet metal cover. Test drove vehicle following repairs and verified the popping noise is no longer present."

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Not everyone who buys an EV is on a crusade to save the planet. I have solar, powerwalls and a model 3, and in none of those purchases was the first consideration "save the planet". For me that was a nice side benefit, but all of them I got because they were best in class for what I was trying to address at the time.

I agree with you and with George Carlin who said "the planet is fine, the people are f$#@ed". We've got Tesla because it has the best forward-looking technology presently available and it is different from any other car on the road. To the OP, I guess there are some sensors in Tesla motors/transmission that monitor the state of oil and will let you know you need to get your car to a SC for inspection/oil change etc.