Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ok... I was DD last night and drove my friends around in one of their Ioniq5's.... Couple features I want in my Tesla now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll cut right to the chase...

1) Red light camera notification. <--- I'd pay for this. Saved me from getting my friend a ticket last night. (yea you can use 3rd party software, but seamless integration is best)
2) Doppler weather radar <--- Even my 2017 Prius had this. This info is transmitted over HD Radio for free so all Tesla has to do is use it

Yea, thats about it. But #1 would be AMAZING

What exactly is red light camera notification, and why is it useful? Just from the feature description, it sounds like it would be a "chime / notification that a light turned red", but it must be something more than that as I cant see how that would be useful at all.

When we are driving, we are (or should be) looking at the road, so we would see any light turn red. Having some sort of audible chime for a light turning red every time a light turns red would quickly drive me to yelling at the world, since I am looking at it, and everyone else should be too. So, this must be something else... what is it?

I get notification of green lights when you are stopped, since once people stop at a light, they many times start doing "other stuff", like looking at phones, etc, so lose track when the light might turn green. Is this what you mean by red light chime?

Does built in navigation on the the Ioniq5 provide an estimated SoC at the destination yet? Does it support wireless AA or CarPlay yet? I really like the Ioniq5 (and am looking forward to the N) but they are missing some pretty obvious features.

Like many 'concept cars', very few make it to production. It looks though, like the IoniQ 5 got through.
Problem is (in the UK anyway) that anything dramatic or conceptual that goes into production doesn't tend to last long from the 'stylish' perspective. They soon begin to look "old", "dated".
I loved the shape of the IoniQ5 when it was introduced into the Uk a few years back - but now - it looks like it was produced in the early 2000's.
The history of concept and 'stylish' cars in britain is littered with disasters:
TR7
Jensen Healey
Some of the TVR's
Black bumper MGB
Bentley Bentayga!
Porsche 924.
All cars built by British Leyland!

One marque that seems to have held its ground and stood the test of time (on all of its reincarnations) is the Porsche 911 range.

What exactly is red light camera notification, and why is it useful?

It is a mapping trick. Speed cameras are publicly owned and paid for with taxes. They are used at traffic lights and in high traffic areas with a history of speeders. They take a high resolution picture of your license plate, and mail you a traffic ticket.

There is no “detecting” them, but rather they are part of the mapping software. It’s a very nice feature if you think about rushing through a changing stop light or if you normally drive with the speed of the flowing traffic.

i think this is common on Waze apps.

Cameras mounted on traffic lights, snapping pictures of the license plates of cars that go through yellow / orange lights. Automatic traffic violations in the mail.

Apparently the car can warn you about them.

It is a mapping trick. Speed cameras are publicly owned and paid for with taxes. They are used at traffic lights and in high traffic areas with a history of speeders. They take a high resolution picture of your license plate, and mail you a traffic ticket.

There is no “detecting” them, but rather they are part of the mapping software. It’s a very nice feature if you think about rushing through a changing stop light or if you normally drive with the speed of the flowing traffic.

i think this is common on Waze apps.

Thanks, I was guessing there was something I was missing.

These don't exist yet where I live, but I did get a "ticket" in the mail once from the Washington DC area from a camera that said I was speeding. It wasn't even court, just an immediate fine. Could've been a scam now that I think about it.

I love this idea. Why stop there? The government should put cameras on every corner with facial recognition and they could catch jay walkers and send them walking violations via text message.

Also, a Roomba-style bot that runs the curbs measuring how far away your tires are. Automatic parking violations.

For that matter... why not just build these checks into the car software? Speeding... check. Running a red/orange light... check. Parking near a no-parking sign... check. Tesla vision could capture all of these scenarios. Call it... "Full Self Ticketing" or FST for short.

These don't exist yet where I live, but I did get a "ticket" in the mail once from the Washington DC area from a camera that said I was speeding. It wasn't even court, just an immediate fine. Could've been a scam now that I think about it.

I love this idea. Why stop there? The government should put cameras on every corner with facial recognition and they could catch jay walkers and send them walking violations via text message.

Also, a Roomba-style bot that runs the curbs measuring how far away your tires are. Automatic parking violations.

For that matter... why not just build these checks into the car software? Speeding... check. Running a red/orange light... check. Parking near a no-parking sign... check. Tesla vision could capture all of these scenarios. Call it... "Full Self Ticketing" or FST for short.

Don't give them any ideas...

Think of all these scenarios mentioned regarding driving, and now put them on your money.
Not buying enough gov cheese, fined. Buying too much alcohol, fined. Missed a tax payment, withdrawn and fined. Where would it end?
This is exactly why CBDC's are so dangerous. End the FedNow!

I'll cut right to the chase...

1) Red light camera notification. <--- I'd pay for this. Saved me from getting my friend a ticket last night. (yea you can use 3rd party software, but seamless integration is best)
2) Doppler weather radar <--- Even my 2017 Prius had this. This info is transmitted over HD Radio for free so all Tesla has to do is use it
1.) Is Hyundai using WAZE or their own navigation system? I ask because WAZE flags red light cameras.

2.) Good point on the weather radar. It's free, wonder why Tesla doesn't use it.

1.) Is Hyundai using WAZE or their own navigation system? I ask because WAZE flags red light cameras.

2.) Good point on the weather radar. It's free, wonder why Tesla doesn't use it.
Any post-MCU1 Tesla doesn't automatically have a radio receiver unless you pay extra for it.
So Tesla can't just "turn on" radio weather.
Maybe they could add it back, but that would undermine their own subscription service Tidal. And most people just bluetooth stream their fave service anyway at this point. Even radio listeners can get their local channels via apps (iHeart), so Tesla made the decision long ago that it wasn't worth the expense to put it in every vehicle, and charges for the radio option.
I don't see that coming back. So they could add a version of Waze, or an equivalent they control, in the future.

Any post-MCU1 Tesla doesn't automatically have a radio receiver unless you pay extra for it.
So Tesla can't just "turn on" radio weather.
Maybe they could add it back, but that would undermine their own subscription service Tidal. And most people just bluetooth stream their fave service anyway at this point. Even radio listeners can get their local channels via apps (iHeart), so Tesla made the decision long ago that it wasn't worth the expense to put it in every vehicle, and charges for the radio option.
I don't see that coming back. So they could add a version of Waze, or an equivalent they control, in the future.
Wait, what? I just went to Tesla's website and configured a 3 and a Y. There is no option to add FM radio. I know they killed AM a while ago but that was due to bad reception/interference from the drive system. But we've had 2 MS and 1 MX and all have FM radio.

Reactions: TimTam and gt2690b
Wait, what? I just went to Tesla's website and configured a 3 and a Y. There is no option to add FM radio. I know they killed AM a while ago but that was due to bad reception/interference from the drive system. But we've had 2 MS and 1 MX and all have FM radio.
The OP: "Doppler weather radar <--- Even my 2017 Prius had this. This info is transmitted over HD Radio for free so all Tesla has to do is use it".

I have a 2015 MS w/MCU1.
I just know that MCU1's (2012-2016) had an AM/FM radio receiver, and the MCU2's did not come with it stock, but the option could be purchased to add the AM/FM receiver.
MCU3+ is a different story. I can't speak for post-MCU2 models. I don't have any experience with those. Maybe they put the radio receivers back in to all.
Now, is "HD" radio transmitted differently OTA than AM/FM? In a way that the MCU2 could still get the weather? I don't know that.
I would assume someone on this forum would though.

Because the radio (entertainment system) is standard on all models.

The 8-track player is hard to come by however.

s-l1600.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: ChooseFreedom