Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ok stupid question -- rear heat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
We're off right now, and my wife is in the back chilly and looking through the manuals trying to figure out how to get the heat to come out the rear vents. Are we missing something obvious? :redface:

In our other cars, the heat only vents out of the bottom vents (under dash and under front seats for the rear). However, if you choose the upper vent option, then it pipes out heat out of the upper vents in the rear. You may need to select both outputs upper and lower on the model S, it probably defaults to the bottom on "auto"

Might be time to head to a customization shop that can install rear seat heaters. As a bonus, they will use a lot less EV miles than the cabin heater.

GSP

In our other cars, the heat only vents out of the bottom vents (under dash and under front seats for the rear). However, if you choose the upper vent option, then it pipes out heat out of the upper vents in the rear. You may need to select both outputs upper and lower on the model S, it probably defaults to the bottom on "auto"

That did it. If you select the second icon (and any combination of the other icons) that shows the arrow pointing to the persons face. the rear vents will blow! Thank ya.

Heating via electric (motor) is definitely a big kWh drain. Would be a nice option to have front & back heated seats in climates which approach freezing, even though around these parts that's not happening much anymore.

That did it. If you select the second icon (and any combination of the other icons) that shows the arrow pointing to the persons face. the rear vents will blow! Thank ya.

AO, can you (or your wife) comment on the effectiveness of the rear ventilation?

A persistent concern of mine is the winter comfort of rear passengers (notably the kids strapped in the trunk with their heads relatively close to the hatch glass), but since the rear-facing seats are not yet available, real-world data on the second row would be great.

AO, can you (or your wife) comment on the effectiveness of the rear ventilation?

A persistent concern of mine is the winter comfort of rear passengers (notably the kids strapped in the trunk with their heads relatively close to the hatch glass), but since the rear-facing seats are not yet available, real-world data on the second row would be great.

My wife and kids are pretty sensitive to low ventilation in the rear seat area as they have complained when we had rental cars that did not have rear vents. So far, the ventilation in the rear works well for them. No complaints.

It hasn't been REALLY cold...only dipping in to the 30's...but I've been very comfortable when I've been in the back seat. Usually the defroster is on so by default not much of the air is going through the vents that lead to the back, so it does take a few minutes to warm up back there. But once underway it's fine. I imagine it would be fine if you were using the floor vents or dash vents.

On cold mornings when I drive the kids to school, they are complaining about being cold back there. My solution was to select the "Blow air on my face" icon, and then turn off the vents in the front-middle. Doing that changed the situation in the back seat considerably to where the kids now complain about me making it too hot!

So as a followup to my previous post, which I had mentioned in another topic altogether...
Tonight, I took my boys out for pizza, and on the way, they complained about being cold. I felt cold too, even though we had the heat set to 74 (it was 53 outside and raining).
The air coming out of the vents was cold. Not warm at all. I had to set the temp to HI, and even then, it took around 2 minutes for the heat to really come out of the vents. This is not the first time this has happened. I find that I constantly have to adjust the heat on cold days (usually up) in order to stay warm.
I think I have a real heating problem here...

Edit: And I'm originally from Winnipeg (Canada) where it is currently a balmy 12 degrees F. I can handle cold.
One more edit: Typical Winnipeg winter in video : Winnipeg Weather - YouTube

I don't think there is a problem with the actual heating or cooling components of the car, but the sensors and software that control it. I too have noticed that when it is cold outside, say 50 degrees and you have the car set for 72 degreed that the fan speed will sit at 1 in auto mode even if the car is cold inside. Conversely, when it was hot outside I observed that the car would cool the cabin, then slow down the fan speed until it got uncomfortable warm before it would decide to increase the fan speed again. I think this is more of a software and sensor issue that can hopefully be refined and updated, than a hardware problem.

I've noticed that too (cold, not warm since I didn't have my car in the summer). Seems similar to the wiper issues... Just poor use/interpretation of the sensors. The seat Warmers are by far the most reliable.

please report to Tesla as they might be able to address.

I don't think there is a problem with the actual heating or cooling components of the car, but the sensors and software that control it. I too have noticed that when it is cold outside, say 50 degrees and you have the car set for 72 degreed that the fan speed will sit at 1 in auto mode even if the car is cold inside. Conversely, when it was hot outside I observed that the car would cool the cabin, then slow down the fan speed until it got uncomfortable warm before it would decide to increase the fan speed again. I think this is more of a software and sensor issue that can hopefully be refined and updated, than a hardware problem.

I'm convinced it's a lack of airflow. I've taken measurements and reported to ownership. If I set the fan manually to 4, the temperature equalizes and becomes comfortable again. Otherwise it thinks all is well (heat rises to wherever the sensor is, fan speed goes to 2 or 1, and you develop cold spots ... as much as 8 degrees or more from the set point).