Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OK who is this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They said he was out of power. I havent used a 110v in a long time. I didnt think it took that long to charge 20 miles to go to a super charger.
An hour would have given him enough juice to limp to his friend's house in the neighborhood where he could charge overnight. The sense of entitlement at not only parking on a stranger's lawn and using his electricity without permission, but doing so all night, is beyond comprehension. This type of behavior just reinforces the perception among some that Tesla owners are a bunch of entitled, smug a**holes.

120VAC charges at about 2 miles per hour.

120 volts at 12 amps is 1.44 kW. If we assume that 1 kW of that actually makes it into the battery, that's a charge rate of about 4 miles per hour on a Model 3. 4 hours would have gotten him to Riviera Beach, which was only a small diversion on his way into town in the first place, assuming he was coming from Fort Myers. If he was coming from the north or the south, there is really no excuse for such poor trip planning, as Riviera Beach and Delray Beach are literally on the way.

120 volts at 12 amps is 1.44 kW. If we assume that 1 kW of that actually makes it into the battery, that's a charge rate of about 4 miles per hour on a Model 3. 4 hours would have gotten him to Riviera Beach, which was only a small diversion on his way into town in the first place, assuming he was coming from Fort Myers. If he was coming from the north or the south, there is really no excuse for such poor trip planning, as Riviera Beach and Delray Beach are literally on the way.
The 2mile/hr is for a Model X. Thanks for the correction.

• Helpful
Reactions: gavine
Mmm, I've always wondered what I would do if I was out in the middle of nowhere and needed to plug in somewhere, anywhere. I would have at least asked permission first unless it was the middle of the night, and then I would have stayed with the car and gotten the very minimum amount necessary to move somewhere else. I would leave a note apologizing, probably even include a $5 or $10 bill for the trouble. I carry several extension cords for such a purpose, 10 gauge for 120V and an RV extension cord for NEMA 14-50. Of course I've never used it as the supercharger network is so well laid out, proper free and paid charging can be had, and honestly running out of power is poor planning. It doesn't look like he was stuck in a hurricane or a snowstorm causing you to run out of power. I hope he apologized and understands that if you just ask, I'm sure most people would say Yes to any request to charge temporarily in an emergency.

There are three Superchargers within 20 miles of that location. How do you screw so badly that you need to park in someone's yard for twelve hours?

seriously, they only needed a few miles charge and plugged in at midnight. I wouldn't leave my car unattended. I'd sit in it and wait for enough charge to continue on and charge somewhere else.

Maybe 45 minutes or an hour fiddling on my cell phone or cat napping with a timer/alarm set and then I'd be gone.

Maybe come by the next day to thank the neighbor. Way easier to say "thanks for the couple of minutes I was plugged in" when the person didn't know you were even there than to apologize for leaving a car on their lawn.

Reactions: SMAlset
i was told i could plug in to ANY 110 outlet. is this not true? :D:D:p

Nope you won't find any 110 outlets in North America. We use 120v here (US and Canda). If you end up crossing into Mexico they use 127v.

You are going to have to use a ship or a plane to get your Tesla to somewhere that has 110v outlets in 2019. You could use a time machine to go back to pre WW2 US and have a decent chance of finding 110v but I think it's easier to just plug into the voltage we use in this time period.