Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ok, who was this on HWY 880

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although the motorcyclist is a little overly ballsy, the MS driver was way out of line; and quite frankly probably should have gone to jail if he hit and killed the motorcyclist. There's no reason to get ticked off by a motorcyclist weaving through standing traffic (I've personally done it, although very slowly) as it really doesn't affect anyone in that line or the overall traffic. One person moving is still better than nobody moving.

That was uncalled for, you have the bigger car, be the bigger man.

I don't think the situation is that simple as blaming the Tesla driver for cutting off the motorcycle. The Model S driver moved over into the right lane to avoid a black (?Nissan?) car that pulled in front of him. Maybe he could have braked and avoided a collision but it's tough to tell. Both the Tesla driver and motorcyclist could be charged with racing and the danger they created for themselves and the other folks sharing the road with them. Particularly dumb given the fact that the motorcyclist had just passed a marked patrol car!

Although the motorcyclist is a little overly ballsy, the MS driver was way out of line; and quite frankly probably should have gone to jail if he hit and killed the motorcyclist. There's no reason to get ticked off by a motorcyclist weaving through standing traffic.
+1. The motorcyclist was taking unnecessary risks after the S cut him off, but the S shouldn't have cut him off, either. I don't get the point, anyway, a MC that's willing to split lanes will easily pull ahead in traffic and leave you no further behind. I always try to give them as much room as possible if I see them coming.

• Disagree
Reactions: msnow
I don't think the situation is that simple as blaming the Tesla driver for cutting off the motorcycle. The Model S driver moved over into the right lane to avoid a black (?Nissan?) car that pulled in front of him.

The way I see it, when the black (?Nissan?) changes lane to the left its driver should not have to assume that someone to the rear is accelerating to a speed significantly above everyone else. But I wonder why he brakes (lightly), does he want to merge left once again? Regardless, the Tesla driver has plenty of space to actually adjust his speed to that of everyone else. But he wants to get ahead of the motorcycle so instead creates a very dangerous situation, by passing on the right and especially by cutting off the motorcycle driver.

That is not cool driving.

So here is a question to the driver on the photo:

When you just want to drive from A to B (which is really the reason for driving), what do you care if someone that you don't know and will almost surely never know drives in a manner that does not make you arrive later, nor pose any risk to you?

Just ask yourself:

How would Elon's autopilot be driving just now?

That will make your driving less stressful and safer for everyone.

And when you see a motorcycle driving dangerously, just say to yourself:

"Good to see that the organ donor is out practicing today".

Attachments

• Tesla_MAC_84.png
    Tesla_MAC_84.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Reactions: brantse
Not smart to cut in front of a bike. But also not smart for a bike to lane split up to a metering light (intent is 1 car to go at a time, not 1 car and 1 bike). Bike created dangerous situation, Tesla driver participated in it.

No need to remind me that lane splitting is "legal" in CA. Technically, it's just "not illegal." So, there are no real rules. Bikes have to be smart about it and not put themselves in this circumstance.

Not sure why the Nissan braked...in general, driving 101 tells us to be defensive drivers NOT offensive drivers. The MS action on this video clearly shows an offensive move when the driver changed lanes. One can argue that the Nissan's quick slow down was faster than the MS driver had anticipated and thus had to make the dangerous maneuver to the next lane in order to avoid a rear end collision. The MS driver was lucky this altercation did not result in anything other than exchanged verbal pleasantries.

The motorcyclist was taking unnecessary risks after the S cut him off, but the S shouldn't have cut him off, either.
Agreed. I have done a lot of motorcycle riding in California and have been driving for 45 years. The S driver acted irresponsibly and dangerously; the rider took a huge risk in catching up to the S and riding alongside, apparently just to chastise the driver. That crazy driver could have veered into the rider and caused a horrific multi-vehicle accident.

I am always amazed at those who post videos online that demonstrate their poor judgement.

Let it go, man.

MAC B4 was a total #@!%. Personally I'm glad the rider got a good look at that driver with that video.
Because chances are that "that crazy driver" is going to not going to stop driving crazy and eventually hurt someone.
And now there's a face, license plate, and video on the internet to back it up.

• Disagree
Reactions: DrManhattan