TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ok, who was this on HWY 880

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Lucy Lee, May 4, 2016.

1. Lucy Lee

Lucy Lee New Member

2. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Excessive caffein or testosterone . . . :) !!
    --

3. DrManhattan

DrManhattan Member

A motorcycle will never beat a car ever. Slow down people.

• Like x 1
  4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Ha, I like how he looks at the cop as he passes.

5. brantse

brantse Member

Although the motorcyclist is a little overly ballsy, the MS driver was way out of line; and quite frankly probably should have gone to jail if he hit and killed the motorcyclist. There's no reason to get ticked off by a motorcyclist weaving through standing traffic (I've personally done it, although very slowly) as it really doesn't affect anyone in that line or the overall traffic. One person moving is still better than nobody moving.

• Like x 11
    • Dislike x 1
  6. Lawtq

Lawtq Member

Bikes, they cut people up all the time, as soon as it happens to them they're pissed?

Unnecessary dangerous driving from the tesla owner though. What was the point? Haha, cause he could

• Like x 4
    • Dislike x 3
  7. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

As someone who rides often and lane splits when they do, that's a pretty common occurrence... I don't mean common as isolated to Tesla's but to any "performance" car.... Or the a-holes who intentionally crowd the lane as your going by to "mess" with you... The most dangerous thing to a motorcyclist is a driver and their car.

Jeff

• Like x 5
    • Dislike x 1
  8. Blueeyedme

Blueeyedme Member

I don't live in Calif, so I am not a fan of lane splitting even though I do ride a MC. What that driver did was downright dangerous and with a clear licence plate, I hope the clip was sent to law enforcement.

• Like x 3
  9. Ames

Ames Member

That was uncalled for, you have the bigger car, be the bigger man.

• Like x 4
  10. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

I don't think the situation is that simple as blaming the Tesla driver for cutting off the motorcycle. The Model S driver moved over into the right lane to avoid a black (?Nissan?) car that pulled in front of him. Maybe he could have braked and avoided a collision but it's tough to tell. Both the Tesla driver and motorcyclist could be charged with racing and the danger they created for themselves and the other folks sharing the road with them. Particularly dumb given the fact that the motorcyclist had just passed a marked patrol car!

• Like x 7
    • Dislike x 6
  11. drees

drees Active Member

+1. The motorcyclist was taking unnecessary risks after the S cut him off, but the S shouldn't have cut him off, either. I don't get the point, anyway, a MC that's willing to split lanes will easily pull ahead in traffic and leave you no further behind. I always try to give them as much room as possible if I see them coming.

• Dislike x 1
  12. mkspeedr

mkspeedr Member

I would not use never. I am positive my P85D has no hope against my liter bikes.

• Like x 1
  13. taylor

taylor New Member

I think he meant if there was an accident/collision...

14. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Glad no one was hurt in all that nonsense.

• Like x 2
  15. lklundin

lklundin Member

#15 lklundin, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
    The way I see it, when the black (?Nissan?) changes lane to the left its driver should not have to assume that someone to the rear is accelerating to a speed significantly above everyone else. But I wonder why he brakes (lightly), does he want to merge left once again? Regardless, the Tesla driver has plenty of space to actually adjust his speed to that of everyone else. But he wants to get ahead of the motorcycle so instead creates a very dangerous situation, by passing on the right and especially by cutting off the motorcycle driver.

That is not cool driving.

So here is a question to the driver on the photo:

When you just want to drive from A to B (which is really the reason for driving), what do you care if someone that you don't know and will almost surely never know drives in a manner that does not make you arrive later, nor pose any risk to you?

Just ask yourself:

How would Elon's autopilot be driving just now?

That will make your driving less stressful and safer for everyone.

And when you see a motorcycle driving dangerously, just say to yourself:

"Good to see that the organ donor is out practicing today".

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  16. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

Not smart to cut in front of a bike. But also not smart for a bike to lane split up to a metering light (intent is 1 car to go at a time, not 1 car and 1 bike). Bike created dangerous situation, Tesla driver participated in it.

No need to remind me that lane splitting is "legal" in CA. Technically, it's just "not illegal." So, there are no real rules. Bikes have to be smart about it and not put themselves in this circumstance.

• Like x 3
    • Dislike x 2
  17. Maximus8

Maximus8 Member

Not sure why the Nissan braked...in general, driving 101 tells us to be defensive drivers NOT offensive drivers. The MS action on this video clearly shows an offensive move when the driver changed lanes. One can argue that the Nissan's quick slow down was faster than the MS driver had anticipated and thus had to make the dangerous maneuver to the next lane in order to avoid a rear end collision. The MS driver was lucky this altercation did not result in anything other than exchanged verbal pleasantries.

18. Raindog1

Raindog1 Member

and lack of brains... along with total disregard for family members who would miss this motorcyclist.

• Dislike x 2
    • Like x 1
  19. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Agreed. I have done a lot of motorcycle riding in California and have been driving for 45 years. The S driver acted irresponsibly and dangerously; the rider took a huge risk in catching up to the S and riding alongside, apparently just to chastise the driver. That crazy driver could have veered into the rider and caused a horrific multi-vehicle accident.

I am always amazed at those who post videos online that demonstrate their poor judgement.

Let it go, man.

• Like x 3
  20. Joelc

Joelc Member

MAC B4 was a total #@!%. Personally I'm glad the rider got a good look at that driver with that video.
    Because chances are that "that crazy driver" is going to not going to stop driving crazy and eventually hurt someone.
    And now there's a face, license plate, and video on the internet to back it up.

• Dislike x 1