Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ok, who was this on HWY 880

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They were both being jerks. Someone cuts you off honk your horn and that is the end of it. These kind of guys always think their reckless driving is ok, the fact that it endangers others is not their concern. The guy on the bike gets to ride along the way to the front of the line and can't be bothered to come to a stop and wait for a light change. Both ass-hats.

That's a Hyundai Elantra (not a Nissan) ... But if you watch the video, the Tesla is accelerating into an open lane and the Elantra moves left into the path of the Tesla. The Tesla was already going pretty fast, I don't think he could have stopped even with emergency braking at the speed he was going - changing lanes was the only option to prevent a rear-end collision I'd say.

I'm not saying what was done was right, but I would reserve judgement on the Tesla driver doing that just to be an ass - I think he was avoiding a collision with that lane change. He doesn't start to cut over until it's very clear that the Elantra is unavoidable. Whatever other reasons he had for going fast and/or what happened after that is another story entirely. Can anyone make out what MAC B4 said when he rolled down his window?

The Tesla driver was accelerating hard up on the on-ramp into traffic--whether he switched lanes to brake-check the MC or the avoid the black car, he was being dumb at best. OTOH, the MC rider continuing to tangle with a crazy driver is not all that smart either.

Reactions: Joelc
I looks to me like the black car was slowing down to merge into the gap of the much slower moving traffic on the left.

Very dangerous move by the Tesla and totally his fault, but the bike rider wasn't the smartest either by chasing him down to chew him out (or whatever his goal was).

2016-05-05.png

Attachments

• 2016-05-05.png
    2016-05-05.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
30 comments and yet not one is about the fact that this motorcycle drive felt above the law? Dude was acting like an @$$, speed limits apply to all motorized vehicles. I'm not talking about lane splitting which is legal is some jurisdictions.

Yes the Tesla driver is a worthless specimen of human dignity. But this bike was in the wrong from the moment he shoulder checked the cop car.

By no means am I supporting what the Tesla did here, but where does this attitude of "lane splitting is ok for bikes" comes from? Let's turn the tables, if a car comes up on a motorcycle from behind and it can fit between the motorcycle and the car in the next lane, is it ok for the car to lane split with the motorcycle?

If you are a motorcyclist who lane splits, consider this, all that's needed for you to get hurt is a guy who doesn't pay enough attention and/or is simply not expecting you between lanes, or had a bad day and is steaming about something and will take the opportunity to hurt you while following the rules of the road, because you are the one breaking the law. Is it worth it? If you think so, would you consider riding on the highway in the wrong direction because you can fit between the cars riding the lanes (heck, at least they can see you and you're not sneaking up behind them)?

• Disagree
Reactions: Nixx and Joelc
"The new rules stress that motorcyclists can only split lanes as long as they don’t exceed ten miles per hour faster than the cars they are driving between, and said cars must be going less than 30 miles per hour. Reaction by motorcyclists is mixed. Some are glad to finally have some restrictions in place, so that there are now stated parameters for being pulled over my law enforcement. But others worry that this may be the beginning of the end, and that a complete ban on lane-splitting is soon to come."

California releases new rules for motorcycle lane-splitting

I think the bike exceeded these rules. The traffic control light is intended to release one motor vehicle at a time. The bike should have waited his turn. Both drivers were displaying road rage. I used to ride. I was trained under the mentality that a motorcycle is invisible to other drivers. I was always on the defensive. Aggressive riding will get you hurt. I still drive a Miata like it's a motorcycle, but at least there is more metal with associated airbags in it.

That shoulder check going by the cop indicated he new he was breaking these rules. There is just no way the cop can catch up to him.

John

Reactions: AnOutsider
I think the bike exceeded these rules. The traffic control light is intended to release one motor vehicle at a time. The bike should have waited his turn. Both drivers were displaying road rage. I used to ride. I was trained under the mentality that a motorcycle is invisible to other drivers. I was always on the defensive. Aggressive riding will get you hurt.
As an ex motorcycle rider, I agree.