Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ok, who was this on HWY 880

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sheesh, I had no idea something so silly and reckless (lane splitting) was legal in some parts of the country.

This is worse than bicycle riders who completely ignore red lights, but then think they also deserve to be on the same road as you after breaking traffic laws.

It doesn't make sense that the most vulnerable type of motor vehicle is allowed to do what should only exist in action movies.

P.S.: The Tesla driver was reckless too.

Reactions: int32_t and newtman
If you live in California, you know that lane splitting is legal. It happens all the time, everywhere. Why be a thoughtless, arrogant and reckless prick, MAC B4? All to prove that you have a car that can accelerate fast? You could have easily taken someone's life. Why?

Reactions: Joelc
Lane splitting is legal and common outside of the US as well as in some US states. I have not found it to be a problem except in rare instances of idiot motorcyclists and this much less often than idiot car drivers. Motorcycles (and bicycles) take up a lot less space than I do in my car so if they can get ahead like this, especially when it doesn't really impact me, then more power to them.

I am a biker. Biggest problem I see is that the biker really squeezed in between the two cars waiting at the in ramp light. There was almost not enough room to get through there without scratching one of the cars.

Believe the Tesla driver was upset at someone endangering his car that way. Bike was out of line in splitting those last two cars.

When Tesla driver reacted to the danger with his own aggression, things esclated to where they were both endangering others in the main flow of traffic.

Lane splitting is designed to let a bike through a lineup of stopped, or slowly moving traffic. Not to encourage bikers to weave through fast flowing traffic by shuttling from lane to lane.

I came here to say that, actually. When the lane splitting law was enacted the majority of motorcycles on the road used air-cooled engines that would literally overheat and die in California freeway traffic jams. It doesn't make anything justified in this specific case but it needed to be said to those who think it's just some stupid law with no real use.

• Informative
Obviously two idiots.

I have no problem with lane splitting and no problem with the mc split the onramp line. It doesn't appear to be the case here, but I do have a problem with an mc splitting the lane at a light, stopping in front of the first car. Generally it's not a problem because most mc riders pay attention and gun it when the light turns, not impeding the line. I had this happen to me two weeks back and the mc lolligagged (I have a bit of a lead foot)... it was f-ing rude and very entitled.

I recognize that on ramp.. I thought that was my car until I saw the plate! I'll usually be on AP but I wish it'd keep me more to the left side of the lane so I can let riders through.

Rider was stupid, though.. why chase down a 4500lb vehicle that can easily kill you?

Not defending the car, but the way the MC rider comes up on the Tesla getting ready to take off, I'm not sure that the Tesla driver even sees him. The Tesla knows that nothing is going to touch it coming off the line going for the merge, then all of a sudden, the bike is there.

I'm certain that surprise, indignity, and testosterone were equal parts at fault here. Glad everyone made it home. The amount of senseless violence on roads is unbelievable.

OK, this isn't about lane splitting. It is legal in California (where this happened). The dangerous part was not in any way lane splitting. The dangerous part happened way after the lane splitting. The motorcycle went between the cars and then moved to the right lane. He had room to accelerate and had it's own lane. The Tesla driver was pissed and tried to out-accelerate the bike and get ahead of him just because he was pissed that someone else was faster. The Tesla driver did not have enough room so he decided to just cut into the other lane. The Tesla driver cut a few feet in front of the bike which is extremely dangerous and only due to the biker's fast reaction and braking, a collision was avoided. Everyone's opinion about lane splitting is irrelevant. That's not the issue here. It's pure road rage and cutting the biker off very dangerously.

The Tesla knows that nothing is going to touch it coming off the line going for the merge, then all of a sudden, the bike is there.

LOL so because you have a fast car you don't have to check before you change lanes? Sorry that's not how traffic laws work. You can't cut in front of someone that close. Having a fast car and a heavy foot doesn't give you the right to not look for others on the road. He clearly saw the motor cycle and was pissed that he split lanes. That's what caused him to accelerate way too fast for the room he had in his lane and he didn't want to back down so he floored it and cut into the bike's lane.

Reactions: rEVhappy and Joelc
LOL so because you have a fast car you don't have to check before you change lanes? Sorry that's not how traffic laws work. You can't cut in front of someone that close. Having a fast car and a heavy foot doesn't give you the right to not look for others on the road. He clearly saw the motor cycle and was pissed that he split lanes. That's what caused him to accelerate way too fast for the room he had in his lane and he didn't want to back down so he floored it and cut into the bike's lane.

Well, your ability to extrapolate intent and cause in this situation is remarkable. Are you a mutant? Charles Xavier would like to speak with you.

Well, your ability to extrapolate intent and cause in this situation is remarkable. Are you a mutant? Charles Xavier would like to speak with you.

I have been riding motorcycles in California and other countries for many many years. I now own a Tesla for 2 years. I have some experience with how people react to both and each other. I cannot tell you how many people get missed when a biker splits lanes and gets ahead in traffic. Especially people in fast cars get really upset. I have seen it over and over. I have been in similar situations shown in this video. So, no I'm not a mutant, I just learned from experience. And I look at the video. I think it's pretty obvious what is happening.

Lane splitting amongs cars and motorcycles (and trucks) is commonplace in some places in Asia and even Europe (e.g. Greece). It doesn't mean it's safe. I doubt motorcycle riders who want lane splitting would want a free for all like it happens in some countries. And yes, I get why motorcyclists want that right, I want no speed limits for EV's, better yet, only white EV's - Germany has autobahn without speed limits, so it must be safe. ;-)

I drive and also ride a Ducati in the Bay Area lane splitting like this is generally acceptable and yet I've had drivers intentionally try to hit me or block me when they see me coming. The driver of the MS was clearly at fault in this case, I can't think of a reasonable reason to ever cut off a motorcycle even if you're mad because since you have a good chance of killing someone (trust me it's scary as hell when it happens to you).

Reactions: rEVhappy and Joelc