Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ok, who was this on HWY 880

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see safety of lane splitting as the issue. To me, the attitude of both drivers is the issue. There would be no issue if both drivers had just a modicum of respect for each other.

What gets me, is how anyone can drive a motorcycle on busy roads like California highways. I sure hope they have good life insurance policies if they have families who depend on them. I love life too much to engage in such reckless and risky behaviour. Regardless of how safe you ride, you have absolutely no protection as you speed down the road surrounded by masses of metal travelling in all directions around you. How many of us have had accidents in our cars? Place yourself on the outside of your vehicle in that accident. Two years ago I lost a friend when an 83 year old lady turned in front of him. I had debated with him about the safety of riding a motorcycle just two weeks prior when he rode his bike to my cabin. It was really sad. Plus, while crash rates are going down for vehicles, and death rates are also going down, due to improved vehicle designs, in southern California, a KPCC analysis of statewide crash data found overall motorcycle collisions and fatalities increased 23 percent from 2003 to 2012, the latest data available through the Statewide Integrated Traffic Records System.

Those are the statistics you people who ride motorcycles in southern California face regardless of the safety of lane splitting. I really hope you don't become part of the statistics.

"So if I smoke 20 packs a day, is it better to smoke facing north or south?"

The root issue matters.

I see lane splitting as smoking with a filter. The studies do appear to show it's safer:

Among the U.C. Berkeley findings:

- Lane-splitting is safe if done in traffic moving at 50 mph or less, and if motorcyclists do not exceed the speed of other vehicles by more than 15 mph

- 69 percent of lane-splitting motorcyclists were exceeding the traffic speed by 15 mph or less speed differentials up to 15 mph were not associated with changes in the frequency of injury

- Compared to riders who were not splitting lanes, lane-splitting motorcyclists were markedly less likely to suffer head injury (9 percent vs. 17 percent), torso injury (19 percent vs. 29 percent) or fatal injury (1.2 percent vs. 3 percent)

- Lane-splitting riders were significantly less likely to be rear-ended than non-lane-splitting riders (2.6 percent vs. 4.6 percent)

- Lane-splitting motorcyclists were more likely to be wearing a full-face helmet than other motorcyclists (81 percent vs. 67 percent)

- Compared to other motorcyclists, lane-splitting riders were more often riding on weekdays and during commuting hours, were using better helmets and were traveling at slower speeds;

- Lane-splitting riders were less likely to have been using alcohol.

AMA: Study Finds Lane-Splitting Increases Rider Safety

Just like smoking with a filter is better than no filter, the odds are still against you, and it's the underlining activity that is dangerous.

I see the problem in the video as two drivers without even an ounce of consideration for the other. I don't see lane splitting as the issue but inconsideration on both parties.

Those are the points I was trying to make.

I do agree with you, however, that lane splitting is an issue worth debating and just because it's the law doesn't necessarily mean it's a safe activity. I couldn't believe it the first time a motorcycle split a lane when I was driving in California. I thought it was illegal and nuts. This thread has educated me on this practice.

• Informative
Reactions: Joelc
There's a guy in London who lane splits all the time and posts his videos on Youtube. Search "Royal Jordanian". Amazing first hand perspective of lane splitting and some great scenery of London. Also some pretty cool shots of the royal entourage and protection. I used to watch it all the time before I found TMC.

Yup that is the current law here in CA. Dont like it? Petition to change it.
I was just agreeing with you, indeed there are double standards on this issue. ;)

On a serious note, who cares it's legal. Little good it will do for you (or more importantly your friends and family) that it was legal for you to pass a car in the same lane, if you end up dead. Cars are free to move within their lane without checking their blind spots (it would be impossible to continually keep checking both blind spots). Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's a good idea. I'm petty sure it's legal to smash your own toe with a hammer, not sure it's such a great idea though.

Last edited:
Reactions: int32_t and newtman
Can anyone make out what MAC B4 said when he rolled down his window?

I'm going to assume your question is serious and, thus, answer you seriously. The driver of the Model S said "What the **** is wrong with ya'?!" And *that* is the clue to what happened here. The driver of the Model S wasn't simply trying to avoid the black car that stopped in front of him. He was aggressively trying to cut off the cyclist and, in doing so, acting like a complete asshat. I hope he reads this thread and sees that it's fairly unanimous that his behavior was totally unacceptable.

Reactions: Joelc and bxr140
I'm going to assume your question is serious and, thus, answer you seriously. The driver of the Model S said "What the **** is wrong with ya'?!" And *that* is the clue to what happened here. The driver of the Model S wasn't simply trying to avoid the black car that stopped in front of him. He was aggressively trying to cut off the cyclist and, in doing so, acting like a complete asshat. I hope he reads this thread and sees that it's fairly unanimous that his behavior was totally unacceptable.

Are you serious? The MS driver didn't have enough time to say that many words. Can you provide some sort of evidence for your assertion?

If you were on driving a tesla and on the right side would you slow down to yield to this asshole? Or would you force the tesla to slow down by staying at speed and keeping your lane?

Guess we have double standards here.

I don't see a double standard, the Tesla driver shouldn't be acting like a jerk, but he's not risking his life every time he travels to the point a biker is.

As for the biker. I dont think he did anything wrong.

He was lane splitting at a very fast speed, didn't stop, ran a red light, failed to yield to traffic, then tried to race the Tesla. I probably would have done the same thing, but that is why I don't ride. You have to let that stuff go.

As to what the Tesla driver said, it's not clear, but he could have been upset at the cyclist because he realize he almost killed him. While it's possible the Tesla driver could have been at fault, the cyclist could have not raced him in the first place. He used his blinker and had to react fast, maybe the cyclist was approaching faster than he anticipated. When you ride, your life is on the line, you have to be the bigger man and make smarter choices.

Last edited:
He was lane splitting at a very fast speed, didn't stop, ran a red light, failed to yield to traffic, then tried to race the Tesla. I probably would have done the same thing, but that is why I don't ride. You have to let that stuff go.

Indeed, 100%... Except my old circle probably would have put a boot into the door panel of the offending vehicle.

Indeed, 100%... Except my circle probably would have put a boot into the door panel of the offending vehicle.

This is exactly why you shouldn't ride. If you're going to go vigilante justice every time someone wrongs you, you're gonna have a bad day eventually. You can dent 100 cars and take 100 mirrors, but eventually it's going to catch up with you. I have more self respect than that.

Reactions: newtman
This is exactly why you shouldn't ride. If you're going to go vigilante justice every time someone wrongs you, you're gonna have a bad day eventually. You can dent 100 cars and take 100 mirrors, but eventually it's going to catch up with you. I have more self respect than that.

When you're 21 and in the military, the outlook you have on life can be... different.

Reactions: Joelc