Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OMG: digitaltim’s delivery story…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It probably depends on the part revision number. My replacement was a couple of revisions difference. It definitely didn't work without newer FW. BTW, As long as the car isn't salvage, getting new FW isn't an issue.

Houston we have a problem...

I had a few things that needed to be addressed and this was my first "out of warranty" visit the SC so I thought I would post an update.

Details (@109k miles - all dollars parts & labor):

- busted passenger sideview mirror (don't ask how) $400
- TPMS failure - 2 sensors replaced $160
- failed drivers exterior door handle $869

About what I expected.

Hi--what failed on the drivers exterior door handle? BTW: the car really looks great.

Houston we have a problem...

I had a few things that needed to be addressed and this was my first "out of warranty" visit the SC so I thought I would post an update.

Details (@109k miles - all dollars parts & labor):

- busted passenger sideview mirror (don't ask how) $400
- TPMS failure - 2 sensors replaced $160
- failed drivers exterior door handle $869

About what I expected.

out of curiosity, how much longer do you plan on keeping this car? A couple more failed door modules and these types of things can get old very fast.

I have generally kept cars an average of 8 years except for when my wife and I both bought 2-door coupes a couple of years before we had kids - not so smart and those cars only last 4 and 6 years respectively.

That said, I am planning to keep it 8 years while it is still under warranty for the battery and drivetrain barring a significant enough battery upgrade becoming available. I drive a ton and would trade it in for a material increase in range.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi--what failed on the drivers exterior door handle? BTW: the car really looks great.

Thanks. It has held up well with a good paint correction level detail and full Xpel wrap.

The handle completely failed and would not open. I had to lean across from the passenger seat and open it from the inside.

Last edited:
I think most warranties are written such that the replaced parts belong to them. The only way you are going to get parts is from out of warranty repairs. (And they might put core charges on parts to prevent people from wanting to keep them.)

I know Ingineer said under warranty, but in digitaltim's case, it was out of warranty. So technically he could have requested the handle.

I had a number of things addressed earlier this month and it could have been really ugly had my service center (Rockville MD) not been such a great business partner. Here's the story...

When I was away on an extended trip last August, the air suspension dropped in the rear such that the car frame was nearly sitting on the tires - nothing was found when the car was in for its last under warranty service visit.

Fast forward to March 2016 and it happened again on an extended trip - service center finds a slow the air suspension and did a goodwill repair since it was initially reported while under warranty - hats off to Rockville MD!!! It would have been a $3.6k repair.

Other items addressed at my semi-annual service visit (114k miles):

- rear air spring modules - $3.6k but done as goodwill
- 2nd gen brakes/rotors - $2.2k
- pano sunroof repair - binding - $1.5k
- windshield washer pump - $200
- staggered 21s mounted

A pricey visit that could have been even worse.

Last edited:
Well, at least that is almost half of what it would have been without the goodwill replacement. Or would you have converted to coils if it would not have been a goodwill replacement?

I can tell you my emotions were running high. I tried to be positive in what I wrote - kinda my outlook on life - but definitely not happy to have paid out this $3.9k and the previous $1k (door handle) shortly after crossing 100k miles (I had the extended service and warranty).

I would have done the repair - I like the air suspension.

• Funny
Reactions: HyperMiler