Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OMG: digitaltim’s delivery story…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gotcha. Still thought they were covered under $600 annual service.

Hmm...

I will have to go back and look at the details.

I had a pad rubbing in an odd way that literally started as I was driving in for service & summer tire rotation. At a minimum, they had one pad/rotor to address and I opted to just do all of them.

Apologies for not giving those details earlier.

It has been four winters - I took delivery in 11/2012.

Last edited:
Ruh-roh Shaggy...

Main HV battery issues back on 6/7 that initially presented themselves as a barrage of 12V battery and other assorted alerts (car may not start, service now, etc.). The battery has been sent to Cali for repair and I have been using a loaner battery for the majority of the month.

More details once I have them.

Miles on car?
First time this has happened to you?
How many drives unit(s) have you been through?

Hang in there...

You know I am committed - ~120k miles at time of incident - ~122k today.

If replaced, this will be the second time - first HV battery replaced was at 11k miles. I did have an issue about a year ago (would need to check details) that resulted in some internal components of the battery being replaced. So, this makes it the third incident.

My drive unit was proactively replaced once by the service center - their insistence, not mine.

If replaced, this will be the second time - first HV battery replaced was at 11k miles. I did have an issue about a year ago (would need to check details) that resulted in some internal components of the battery being replaced. So, this makes it the third incident.

Jeesh, just what do you do to that boor HV battery? :) (Seriously is there anything you can think of that might cause the issues? Extreme heat/cold? Lots of extreme range driving, 100%-0%?)

Or maybe you have just been unlucky? Or maybe your charger is out of spec and causing issues. (Of course I would expect built in diags to catch that kind of issue.)

Jeesh, just what do you do to that boor HV battery? :) (Seriously is there anything you can think of that might cause the issues? Extreme heat/cold? Lots of extreme range driving, 100%-0%?)

Or maybe you have just been unlucky? Or maybe your charger is out of spec and causing issues. (Of course I would expect built in diags to catch that kind of issue.)

My HV was sent to Freemont for refurbishment when about a year ago they were doing proactive contactor replacement on my HV and found rust inside the "evacuation system" (venting for cooling).

I drive spiritedly and have high mileage - nothing extreme otherwise.

Ruh-roh Shaggy...

Main HV battery issues back on 6/7 that initially presented themselves as a barrage of 12V battery and other assorted alerts (car may not start, service now, etc.). The battery has been sent to Cali for repair and I have been using a loaner battery for the majority of the month.

More details once I have them.

Quick update...

My refurbished battery was reinstalled on 10/21 (it was actually back in September but delayed replacement due to my schedule) @ 132k miles. There were no details on the service order as to what was done to it.

While in for the battery work, front right bushing showed some play and assembly was replaced @ cost of ~$850.

Quick update...

My refurbished battery was reinstalled on 10/21 (it was actually back in September but delayed replacement due to my schedule) @ 132k miles. There were no details on the service order as to what was done to it.

While in for the battery work, front right bushing showed some play and assembly was replaced @ cost of ~$850.

@digitaltim, did you ever get your brake issues resolved? I have a 2012 Sig and they remanufactured my battery pack and also made the 3rd (and final!) brake update (SB-15-33-001 to improve stopping in wet conditions. Car is amazing now in all regards, no DU noise, great brakes, etc.

(1055066-00-B)

Parts Replaced or Added

4001 (R.0)

Pay Type: Warranty

Corrections: Brake Discs and Calipers General Diagnosis

Verified customer concern. recommend cold weather brake package upgrade.

Corrections: Retrofit 2nd Generation Front Dust Shields Install Front Rotors, Install Rear

Rotors, Install Front And Rear HP1000-T Brake Pads

Technician recommended installed updated cold weather brake parts. Verified correct

operation.

Part Quantity

FRONT BRAKE ROTOR (1025099-00-B) 2

REAR BRAKE ROTOR - OUTER HAT AS

CAST (6006431-00-D)

FRONT CW BRAKE ROTOR SHIELD LH

(1027661-01-B)

FRONT CW BRAKE ROTOR SHIELD RH

(1027662-01-B)

BOLT TRX BTNHD M6x1.0x16[6.8]U-MPZnAlW

(2007067)

NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W (1020297-00-

A)

BLT CSK TRX M8x1.25x20 10.9-ZnAl-W

(1004377-00-B)

REAR BRAKE PAD SVC KIT HP1000-T

(1055068-00-B)

FRONT BRAKE PAD SVC KIT HP1000-T

I thought I would summarize my experience with the car after passing 4 years of ownership and nearly 140k miles. I modeled this after @artsci's post back in November. Thanks Rick!!!

Range: A 100% charge yields 244-246 miles - a 7.5% decline. I supercharged twice weekly for two years when commuting from Baltimore to New York. My daily commute now is Baltimore to DC, so less frequent supercharging but I charge to 100% on weekdays.

Exterior/Interior
: The car has held up extremely well - paint correction level detail and full wrap were done spring '15 - it looks better than most new vehicles. No door dings to date due to strategic parking (knocking on wood...).

Major Warranty Repairs: HV battery replaced @ 11k; windshield replaced due to early model stress fracture; 12V battery @ 39k; 2nd gen door handles, rear bearings and drivetrain @ 53k; HV battery power switch /contractor update @ 83k; rear air suspension @ 114k; HV battery refurbished @ 120k for a total of $0. Tesla service has been impeccable.

Major Out-of-Pocket Repairs
: 12V battery @ 103k; driver's door handle @ 108k; windshield wiper pump, 2nd gen brakes & sunroof repair @ 114k; front right bushing/suspension @ 132k for a total of $6k ($2k of which was probably unnecessary since I opted to replace all brakes when one failed).

Tires: This topic is not for the faint of heart - I run a staggered 21" setup for the summer season thus a number of replacement sets over the years. I have only had to replace two bent/cracked rims to date. If you want to know the dollars, let me know...but it is a shocking number.

I love my car - can't wait for the Model 3 and especially cannot wait for what comes next when it is 8 years old and the battery/drivetrain warranty expires.

Last edited: