Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One issue with the continuous air vent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you with passengers that are always cold (cough cough my girlfriend), the one downside is you cannot turn off the individual passenger side air entirely. 100% of other cars on the road you can simply shut the vent and that’s it.

Now I know there are workarounds (such as adjusting the direction away from the face or increasing the passenger side temperature) but both of those do not ultimately eliminate the flow of air.

Is anyone else in my same boat here? I absolutely LOVE the car, but for someone that is always hot and my girlfriend is always cold, this raises issues sometimes.

For those of you with passengers that are always cold (cough cough my girlfriend), the one downside is you cannot turn off the individual passenger side air entirely. 100% of other cars on the road you can simply shut the vent and that’s it.

Now I know there are workarounds (such as adjusting the direction away from the face or increasing the passenger side temperature) but both of those do not ultimately eliminate the flow of air.

Is anyone else in my same boat here? I absolutely LOVE the car, but for someone that is always hot and my girlfriend is always cold, this raises issues sometimes.

My spouse and I often run totally different temperatures on our sides with no issues. The direction you point them in makes a big difference in the effectiveness of getting cooled off or warmed up depending on each person’s particular body temp issue. Play with it a bit more.

My spouse and I often run totally different temperatures on our sides with no issues. The direction you point them in makes a big difference in the effectiveness of getting cooled off or warmed up depending on each person’s particular body temp issue. Play with it a bit more.

Ya I have found if you want to minimize air flow either the passenger or driver exclusively, what works best is making the air flow split two directions and then dragging it to the very top. That way most of it misses her. But still I wish there was a way to turn off the flow entirely on one side.

I've posted about this problem before since my wife complains whenever the air vent blows on her no matter how I adjust the continuous vent.
Tesla simply needs have the option to disable either the passenger or drive side vents. I suspect the problem will be less in the winter but that doesn't address the root cause.

Ya I have found if you want to minimize air flow either the passenger or driver exclusively, what works best is making the air flow split two directions and then dragging it to the very top. That way most of it misses her. But still I wish there was a way to turn off the flow entirely on one side.

Put it in the suggestion box for Tesla. I imagine it could be done with a firmware change.

I've posted about this problem before since my wife complains whenever the air vent blows on her no matter how I adjust the continuous vent.
Tesla simply needs have the option to disable either the passenger or drive side vents. I suspect the problem will be less in the winter but that doesn't address the root cause.
Why not have her adjust it herself?
It’s pretty easy to direct the airflow away from you but not if someone is doing it for you.

Is this even something that's solvable given the design of the vent? We know that it directs air up/down using another stream of air, but how does it direct it side to side? It seems like the fan is either on or off, I don't know that the physical means exist to actually block air entirely on one side.