TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

One issue with the continuous air vent

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by lupend88, Aug 22, 2018.

1. lupend88

lupend88 Member

For those of you with passengers that are always cold (cough cough my girlfriend), the one downside is you cannot turn off the individual passenger side air entirely. 100% of other cars on the road you can simply shut the vent and that’s it.

Now I know there are workarounds (such as adjusting the direction away from the face or increasing the passenger side temperature) but both of those do not ultimately eliminate the flow of air.

Is anyone else in my same boat here? I absolutely LOVE the car, but for someone that is always hot and my girlfriend is always cold, this raises issues sometimes.

2. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

She can wear a jacket, or cover the vent with said jacket.

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 1
  3. lupend88

lupend88 Member

I was just thinking getting a new girlfriend entirely haha

It is a minor yet noticeable issue. Obviously the pros of the air vent far outweigh the cons, but this is still a con.

• Funny x 11
  4. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Well-Known Member

My spouse and I often run totally different temperatures on our sides with no issues. The direction you point them in makes a big difference in the effectiveness of getting cooled off or warmed up depending on each person’s particular body temp issue. Play with it a bit more.

• Like x 2
  5. lupend88

lupend88 Member

I’m assuming we’ll have the heat the same temp but she will crank her seat-warmer up to 3 and will have a bigger coat on.

6. lupend88

lupend88 Member

Ya I have found if you want to minimize air flow either the passenger or driver exclusively, what works best is making the air flow split two directions and then dragging it to the very top. That way most of it misses her. But still I wish there was a way to turn off the flow entirely on one side.

7. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

I've posted about this problem before since my wife complains whenever the air vent blows on her no matter how I adjust the continuous vent.
    Tesla simply needs have the option to disable either the passenger or drive side vents. I suspect the problem will be less in the winter but that doesn't address the root cause.

• Like x 2
  8. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Well-Known Member

Put it in the suggestion box for Tesla. I imagine it could be done with a firmware change.

• Like x 2
  9. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

I wonder if that's a physical limitation of the current HVAC blower design or if it's something they can remedy with software.

• Like x 1
  10. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Make her ride in the back seat. :D

• Funny x 6
    • Disagree x 1
  11. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

She can just find her own ride. :D

• Funny x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  12. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

I'll tell her you said that:)

• Funny x 5
  13. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Sounds like a great "ask Tesla" question....

14. AEZ

AEZ Member

How about setting the temperatures separately, and cranking up the one for the pasenger’s side? At some temp the thing will turn off.

15. smartypnz

smartypnz Supporting Member

Public transportation.

oh, and plus one for selective "off" option

16. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

Why not have her adjust it herself?
    It’s pretty easy to direct the airflow away from you but not if someone is doing it for you.

17. brobinson

brobinson Member

Is this even something that's solvable given the design of the vent? We know that it directs air up/down using another stream of air, but how does it direct it side to side? It seems like the fan is either on or off, I don't know that the physical means exist to actually block air entirely on one side.

18. iwannam3

iwannam3 Member

Duct tape. Solved.

• Funny x 3
  19. dendenyc

dendenyc Member

Trust me friend, this doesn't work. The new model will be on the same firmware.

• Funny x 9
  20. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

My GF often asks me "if She is going to be cold/hot when we are going out. In know that the temperature will be, but have no way of knowing if she will be comfortable or not. When I suggest she bring along a sweater she just give me a strange look.