Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Online order system down while undergoing "update" today - big problem!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What a huge disappointment after over two years of waiting!

We finally received our invite 4/18 and sat down with the wife to configure and order first thing this morning. All went smoothly until we excitedly pressed the "ORDER" button...only to get a message that an error had occurred and to try again. We did and received the same error message. We tried a third time only to receive a new message saying there was a problem with my credit card. Fearing the worst I checked my credit card online and found two "pending" charges for $2,500 each. The total of $5,000 put me just over my credit limit when combined with my current balance owed so the third attempt failed for that reason.

I immediately called Tesla and after being on hold for 15 minutes (is this normal?) was told they the order system was down while undergoing an update. They had no record of my failed attempts or charges to my credit card so they couldn't do reverse or cancel the pending charges. They then suggested I try ordering again later this afternoon when "hopefully" the system would be updated and back online.

I contacted the credit card company and they told me that I couldn't contest or do anything about the pending charges until they went through completely, usually in a few days. They confirmed my limit was exceeded with the pending charges added. On top of this any new charges (I have numerous monthly bills automatically charged to this credit card) will no doubt be refused causing me more headaches.

Has anyone encountered this before? Should I blindly attempt another order (using another credit card with a less favorable reward rate) today or wait until the pending charges are removed...which could take 1-2 weeks? I suppose another phone call to Tesla (and probable long wait on hold) would be the first move but my faith in Tesla is a bit shaky at this point.

Any thoughts?

Getting an "authorization" on a card is not equal to a charge, and it's very likely the former, not the latter. Recommend chilling until you see that actual charges went through, and if that happens then immediately call your card company to say it's obviously a duplication, and you don't want trouble with other charges that you expect. Yes, it's an eye-roller and "it figures" it would happen when you're excited. But don't let it bend you out of shape. Stuff happens.

Wow. I’m sure I’ll get slapped for saying this. But. You went over your credit card limit by charging $5k along with a credit card balance!?! Are you sure you should be purchasing a $50k car? Should you try to eliminate all your credit card debt first? 16% interest rate on credit cards
Wow, way to make assumptions about someone else. You know absolutely nothing about this person or his situation other than he has a credit limit on that credit card that is over $5,000. For all you know he has a $6,000 limit and had a few hundred dollars balance on it, a third $2,500 charge would have put him over. It certainly doesn't indicate anything about his finances.

Wow. I’m sure I’ll get slapped for saying this. But. You went over your credit card limit by charging $5k along with a credit card balance!?! Are you sure you should be purchasing a $50k car? Should you try to eliminate all your credit card debt first? 16% interest rate on credit cards
Ouch! That does look bad on the surface so I can't fault the assumptions. Fortunately under the surface all is well. True, my DoubleCash MC for some strange reason has the lowest limit of all my cards but returns the best cash reward at 2% so I use it as much as possible. Truth is I haven't carried a balance on a credit card in over 25 years. Timing is everything and unfortunately this time I had a larger than normal monthly balance before getting my invite but certainly didn't foresee Tesla placing pending charges of $7,500 against my limit.

Again on the surface my decision to purchase a $50k car looks questionable as well as my wife and are both currently unemployed. Before anyone jumps on that please know that we both retired early (in our 50's) last year, are living quite comfortably and debt free in a paid-off house. We are easily capable of paying cash for our M3 (and all our purchases and expenses) but I enjoy squeezing a few thousand dollars every year out of my credit card companies.

Thanks for your concern though!

Ouch! That does look bad on the surface so I can't fault the assumptions. Fortunately under the surface all is well. True, my DoubleCash MC for some strange reason has the lowest limit of all my cards but returns the best cash reward at 2% so I use it as much as possible. Truth is I haven't carried a balance on a credit card in over 25 years. Timing is everything and unfortunately this time I had a larger than normal monthly balance before getting my invite but certainly didn't foresee Tesla placing pending charges of $7,500 against my limit.

Again on the surface my decision to purchase a $50k car looks questionable as well as my wife and are both currently unemployed. Before anyone jumps on that please know that we both retired early (in our 50's) last year, are living quite comfortably and debt free in a paid-off house. We are easily capable of paying cash for our M3 (and all our purchases and expenses) but I enjoy squeezing a few thousand dollars every year out of my credit card companies.

That comment towards you was uncalled for. I would have done exactly the same as you if I were in your position (using my 2% cash back card as much as possible). Hoping you get it all sorted out - please keep us updated.

Reactions: emlombardo
Getting an "authorization" on a card is not equal to a charge, and it's very likely the former, not the latter. Recommend chilling until you see that actual charges went through, and if that happens then immediately call your card company to say it's obviously a duplication, and you don't want trouble with other charges that you expect. Yes, it's an eye-roller and "it figures" it would happen when you're excited. But don't let it bend you out of shape. Stuff happens.
Ok, my order just went through. This time the process went smoothly. Following my fourth conversation with a Tesla rep, who assured me the order system update was finally complete and I shouldn't encounter any further issues. I decided not to wait until the two pending charges dropped off my primary credit card (used another card just to be safe) but of course I'll be watching closely until they do. The rep admitted that there were a number of people who had similar credit card/ordering problems yesterday and assured me only one deposit would be processed.

Now the waiting begins...once again.

Excellent! I apologize for making assumptions. You are one of the rare ones. I love how you are using the 2% cash back card to pay the $2500!!

I can say there’s too many people who over reach their finances and are not responsible. Before anyone says it has no concern to me. Yes it does. Hence the housing bubble and huge debts all over. I end up using my taxes to support bail outs and wiping out other people’s bankruptcy.

Reactions: Amit519
Excellent! I apologize for making assumptions. You are one of the rare ones. I love how you are using the 2% cash back card to pay the $2500!!

I can say there’s too many people who over reach their finances and are not responsible. Before anyone says it has no concern to me. Yes it does. Hence the housing bubble and huge debts all over. I end up using my taxes to support bail outs and wiping out other people’s bankruptcy.

I'm in the same boat as OP without the paid off mortgage and retired part. I put everything on my credit cards to maximize returns and pay off balances in full.

Curious why you disagreed with his post explaining his position though.

Ok, my order just went through. This time the process went smoothly. Following my fourth conversation with a Tesla rep, who assured me the order system update was finally complete and I shouldn't encounter any further issues. I decided not to wait until the two pending charges dropped off my primary credit card (used another card just to be safe) but of course I'll be watching closely until they do. The rep admitted that there were a number of people who had similar credit card/ordering problems yesterday and assured me only one deposit would be processed.

Now the waiting begins...once again.
Latest update: So much for assurances by Tesla. BOTH $2,500 "pending" charges on my Citi DoubleCash card are now regular charges! This is AFTER I placed my order by charging $2,500 to a different card (that went through immediately and was never pending)

I know I can dispute both charges or harass Tesla until they reverse/credit the $5,000 in wrongful charges but this should never have happened. I'm going to demand Tesla apply the $5k towards the purchase price and pocket the $100 in cash rewards for my trouble.

It will hurt your credit score with a credit balance so close to the credit limit. I assume it might not matter to you since you’re mostly debt free and not planning to borrow money anytime soon.
You're correct. I'm not too worried about how that might affect my credit score as I don't have any debt (house is paid off as well) and already have the cash for our new Tesla. I utilize high rewards credit cards for every purchase and recurring bill that doesn't add a fee. Its kind of a hobby that pays dividends. I would charge the whole car on credit cards if Tesla allowed it. That would help pay for the aftermarket wheels and tires I'm already shopping for!

Update - just got off hold with Tesla and today they finally took action to refund/reverse the "glitch" caused charges. I don't know how many others had multiple credit card charges like me earlier in the week but it sounds like more than a few based on what the rep had to say. I'm sure it will take a day or three to go through so I'll keep a close watch until it does. Life goes on...