Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only 71kwh usable in X90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are lots of threads here trying to reconcile the trip kWh number with the battery capacity and rated miles. As far as I know, the trip kWh number does not include some of the ancillary power usage. It always seems low.

If the car is off, then the car does not count ancillary power draw. However, once the car is on and in drive, all load is counted by the trip meter.

My P85 will comfortably (90% to 10%) go that distance at that power usage, so I'd definitely say something is up. The only difference between the S and the X is that to hit that power usage I'm doing 80MPH, not ~60MPH, which you appear to have been.

If this is truly a result of the battery degrading, I think you'll end up with a new/rebuilt battery as that's not expected degradation. Take it into service and voice your concerns. Also do a full charge and see what your rated miles are compared to when the car was new. At 50,000 miles, you should expect about 5% degradation at the worst.

Keep in mind I'm simply basing this off of what I see in my car and some pretty readily available numbers. There's no exact science at work in this post.

Reactions: Canuck
My P85 will comfortably (90% to 10%) go that distance at that power usage, so I'd definitely say something is up.

He's in an X but it shouldn't make that much difference. I converted his trip to km and it's 302 - the same distance to my cabin over two high mountain passes and my 4 year old S85 still has a lot more left than that.

I wonder if the added silicon in 90 batteries plays some part. I hope not. Take it in and let us know what they say.

Keep in mind I'm simply basing this off of what I see in my car and some pretty readily available numbers. There's no exact science at work in this post.

Me too.

@ekhozindar

When I first bought my car..if I maintain 315 w/m I used to get rated.
That means...315 * 257 = 80.9 kwh
Assuming...the battery did not degrade at all after 50k miles..
For 376 w/m..you should have got 80.9/376 = 215 miles.
Instead you got 188 miles. That is 27mile loss..its a lot.
Is it true Tesla has some reserve battery even when it shows 0%?
Assuming it has some reserve..lets say the car might go 15 more miles from where you stopped.
So..you lost about 12 miles after 50k miles?
This is about 5% loss?

So just to clarify, when did you charge to 100% on this trip? If you did it before you parked to go on your cruise then you need to account for the daily loss. Not to mention your air temp gauge indicates a temp of 45 degrees and 376wh/mi is kinda high. These things all come in to play even with a Tesla. If the battery was mostly cold or trying to keep warm that will account for your missing kw/h. Also the trying to load to 100% on a cold battery means you aren't going to be able to put all the power in.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and Canuck
I have the same issue. .Taking it to Tesla will be a completely useless exercise. They study all your logs, driving habits, ask you to a range charge (bring it close to 0 and take it to 100%) 3 consecutive times, and at the end of it all, they just say the battery is looking good and nothing can be done. After performing all of these, I lost a bit more than what it was when I initially took it to them. I have a 75D, and my loss over an year and half with around 24k miles, is 10%. There is no rhyme or logic provided as to why. I have lifetime 285 wh/m... IMHO, no one in Tesla SC understand battery technology, nor can they provide any logical reasoning. I asked them when do I press panic button.. they don't have any answer to that either.. and obviously, degradation is not covered as part of warranty.

I may end up with usable range of 100 miles in a couple of years, and they may still say it is operating within normal median range. This will be an expensive brick pretty soon...

I have the same issue. .Taking it to Tesla will be a completely useless exercise. They study all your logs, driving habits, ask you to a range charge (bring it close to 0 and take it to 100%) 3 consecutive times, and at the end of it all, they just say the battery is looking good and nothing can be done. After performing all of these, I lost a bit more than what it was when I initially took it to them. I have a 75D, and my loss over an year and half with around 24k miles, is 10%. There is no rhyme or logic provided as to why. I have lifetime 285 wh/m... IMHO, no one in Tesla SC understand battery technology, nor can they provide any logical reasoning. I asked them when do I press panic button.. they don't have any answer to that either.. and obviously, degradation is not covered as part of warranty.

I may end up with usable range of 100 miles in a couple of years, and they may still say it is operating within normal median range. This will be an expensive brick pretty soon...

Calm down... You’re overreacting substantially. We have owners here with years and tens of thousands of miles driven who have demonstrated the longevity and resiliency of Tesla’s battery technology...

Jeff

Reactions: McManX
I can understand why he wouldn’t be calm if he’s had 10% degradation in 18m/24k miles... The fact that many people have very little degradation over years and many thousands of miles points to the fact some of these batteries have issues and it would be nice for Tesla to not indicate that types of loss is within the norm...

So just to clarify, when did you charge to 100% on this trip? If you did it before you parked to go on your cruise then you need to account for the daily loss. Not to mention your air temp gauge indicates a temp of 45 degrees and 376wh/mi is kinda high. These things all come in to play even with a Tesla. If the battery was mostly cold or trying to keep warm that will account for your missing kw/h. Also the trying to load to 100% on a cold battery means you aren't going to be able to put all the power in.

Just got back from the cruise. Even though It was relatively cold that day, it was charged in fairly optimal conditions, about 65 degrees in my garage. And it was charged the night before I left for the boat. From my knowledge these criteria should not have made an impact on my rated drive.

Just got back from the cruise. Even though It was relatively cold that day, it was charged in fairly optimal conditions, about 65 degrees in my garage. And it was charged the night before I left for the boat. From my knowledge these criteria should not have made an impact on my rated drive.

How much energy did it lose while parked during your cruise? For how many days was it parked?