Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
T
this is sad, i feel ontario is going backwards starting soon...

Totally backwards, and unbelievable we would elect someone that we knew would do this.
He will opt for another version of carbon tax, but in the end it would likely be a wash anyway, and could put us at risk of billions in lawsuits. (Not my opinion, this from a CBC broadcast. ).
All a political show at everyone’s expense.
Hope this is another gas plant debacle.

Reactions: navguy12
I haven't read up on what funds what but does the rollout of charging stations across the province fall under the green energy initiatives or that which funds the EHVIP? Is it safe to assume that the province won't be moving forward with new charging stations? That would be unfortunate for all, not just us.

I'm not a total expert on this, but I believe whatever the province is doing is somewhat secondary to what the private sector is doing here. Office buildings, malls and box box centres are where we're seeing most new chargers these days. If the province doesn't add to the total it isn't tragic imo. Pulling the EV rebate is much more tragic.

I think this is a good time for people in Ontario to buy a Tesla Charger for their home to lock in that 50% off, even if they can't install it immediately.

You can prob pick one up locally so you can get that last minute rebate which could end any minute now.

I think this is a good time for people in Ontario to buy a Tesla Charger for their home to lock in that 50% off, even if they can't install it immediately.

You can prob pick one up locally so you can get that last minute rebate which could end any minute now.

Doesn't work like that. Needs to be installed and pass inspection to get the rebate.

Need Input

I was waiting for SR plus EAP and PUP with white seats.
I currently have my finger on order with LR ,PUP but NO EAP.

Payments are the same with an additional year. I really don't need LR but might not have a choice.
If all incentives are reduced. Buying the model 3 would like be getting base only with zero options.

Should I pull the trigger so to speak or see what happens with the PC Gov't ?

If they do something like yesterday, I still should be able to Order pretty quick.

Dilemma

Need Input

I was waiting for SR plus EAP and PUP with white seats.
I currently have my finger on order with LR ,PUP but NO EAP.

Payments are the same with an additional year. I really don't need LR but might not have a choice.
If all incentives are reduced. Buying the model 3 would like be getting base only with zero options.

Should I pull the trigger so to speak or see what happens with the PC Gov't ?

If they do something like yesterday, I still should be able to Order pretty quick.

Dilemma

Think of it this way. There is 0 chance of a EV incentive when SR are introduced. If you order now, you are guaranteed the EV incentive which will essentially pay for the LR battery after HST.

I haven't read up on what funds what but does the rollout of charging stations across the province fall under the green energy initiatives or that which funds the EHVIP? Is it safe to assume that the province won't be moving forward with new charging stations? That would be unfortunate for all, not just us.
Actually it is much less of a big deal for Tesla owners since we are very well served by SCs. Unless you are driving to Thunder Bay you are pretty well served by SCs and even that route is supposed to be built out this year.

I'm waiting for the standard range battery version to become available in Early 2019.
Does this mean no chance of receiving a 14k rebate? Are SR buyers considering the purchase of the LR premium model so they can still receive the rebate?
Not a fan of Doug Ford, hoping a crack scandal will lead to his demise

I wouldn't put this issue just on Doug Ford - part of the PC platform that came out over a year ago called for scrapping all of the Liberal's green energy initiatives so this likely would have happened if Patrick Brown was the premier.

Huh. He could support or take a different path. It’s ALL on him. Also, we knew this was coming, so Ontario’s future on supporting a greener footprint will now fall behind most other cities .
But that’s what the voters wanted. That’s what they got.
We can only hope his other endeavors, are positive.....

Unbelievable.

I'm waiting for the standard range battery version to become available in Early 2019.
Does this mean no chance of receiving a 14k rebate? Are SR buyers considering the purchase of the LR premium model so they can still receive the rebate?

I’ve already submitted the paperwork and I’m still worried I won’t receive the rebate. We probably won’t see the SR model here until the new year, so you’ll be out of luck if you try to wait. I wasn’t even willing to wait for AWD.

Reactions: navguy12 and TDog

Hi @BlameShawn

As far as I can tell, there are 2 separate, but related, ways that the Ontario PC gov't can negatively impact the current 14k rebate and a 3rd way that is "hidden" within one of them.

1) Procedural - pause, stop, de-fund, or "throw a spanner into" the process that allows people to apply for and then receive the current rebate.

2) Policy/Legislation - "Eliminate Cap 'n' Trade"

3) Executive Directive/Order - This is also Procedural but I've taken it out to highlight it. "No additions to the current list of eligible vehicles or items for rebate"

My Opinion only:
#2 is the hardest to do and takes the longest time
#1 requires the gov't to actually be officially in power and begin to actively re-assign the people involved or direct them at a departmental level to "not do" x, y or z
#3 is the easiest to do and, unfortunately, directly impacts @BlameShawn and others who are waiting for SR or AWD or P or P+AWD or other combinations.

As of this writing, the only Tesla on the list of eligible vehicles is "Long Range + RWD". In my opinion, the likelihood of any other trim level being added to the list of eligible vehicles for a rebate is 0 in Ontario.

On a slightly different note: If SR buyers are considering LR, then the window's closing fast on that rebate because the likelihood of Tesla delivering M3s in Canada after July 1 goes down. That's a different set of forces that are being debated in many other posts and forums (fora?)

Processed or submitted?

I have a hard time believing they could say to those awaiting their incentives that sorry, program is cancelled. They’ve played a significant role in the purchase decision process. It’s still on their website. There are many dealerships that would be stuck too since non Tesla manufacturers apply for the rebate after providing the discount up front.

Last edited:
Reactions: Falkirk