Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We could call on Catherine McKenna (federal Minister for the Environment) to put the ~$450 M she's going to take back from Ontario for cancelling Cap'n'Trade, and put it towards a federal EV rebate. It would apply to all provinces, not just Ontario, and it wouldn't be worth $14 K I doubt, but it's a fair proposal, no?

Everyone?
What’s her email address? If Canada wants to be serious about reducing emissions and saving the environment, they need to take an unprecedented stand and issue a federal rebate/tax credit for all EV owners. A federal program would flood the market with EVs and of course be a step forward to a cleaner environment. Ok rant over.

Reactions: Hugh Mannity
Ok. Can we make it an amount you’d actully pay upon losing? I mean if I lost I’d skip town:). How about $50?

We need a verified order before today and it being delivered before September. Then we need about 3-6 months to see if they get the rebate. So we need me, you, a third with an order and someone independent to verify it all. Cha think?

Reactions: McFlurri
Information we know:

Tesla is a registered dealer with Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council (enforcing the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act on behalf of the Ontario Ministry of Government and Consumer Services (MGCS))

upload_2018-7-11_23-29-46.png

If you have your Model 3 Motor Vehicle Order Agreement, it should meet Contract for Sale of a New Vehicle standard set by OMVIC. It includes "This OMVIC/Compensation Fund “Important Information” Statement".

Model 3 Motor Vehicle Order Agreement I receive:
"Order; Nonrefundable Order Payment; Changes. Once you submit your completed order, we will locate a vehicle to match your Vehicle Configuration and coordinate the shipment of the Vehicle for delivery. Your Order Payment covers the cost of these activities and other processing costs and is nonrefundable; it is not a deposit for the Vehicle."

Model 3 Motor Vehicle Order Agreement on the website:
"Order; Nonrefundable Order Payment; Changes. After you submit your completed order and the options you selected become available in production, we will begin the process of matching your order to a vehicle and coordinating your Vehicle delivery. Your Order Payment covers the cost of these activities and other processing costs and is not a deposit for the Vehicle. Your Order Payment is fully refundable only until your order is matched to a Vehicle, at which point it becomes nonrefundable."

FYI: Order Payment mean $3200

-Speculation-

If Tesla send you the first version Order Agreement AND your "Order placed with electronically accepted terms" date is on or before July 11. I think should be okay:
1) Tesla is a dealer
2) Tesla will actively looking a car for you and coordinate the shipment of the Vehicle for delivery.

Ministry Of Transportation said:
"Inventory that dealers have on lots or orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10."

Concern:
We don't know when Tesla Motors Canada ULC (dealer) place the order with Tesla Inc. (manufacturer), the agreement just said "will". So if Tesla Motors Canada ULC place the order with Tesla Inc. on or before July 11, Ontario government should honoured it?????

Last edited:
So out of curiosity... How do we get a vehicle plated? We arrive at MTO, provide the VIN and the necessary paperwork with purchase agreement and start paying the plate fees. So can Tesla give you all of that information earlier so that you can claim the rebate? They are not physically going to check if the plates are going on the car immediately

So out of curiosity... How do we get a vehicle plated? We arrive at MTO, provide the VIN and the necessary paperwork with purchase agreement and start paying the plate fees. So can Tesla give you all of that information earlier so that you can claim the rebate? They are not physically going to check if the plates are going on the car immediately
Tesla does all that work for you (as does any other dealership) before your delivery day

Reactions: jackspratski
What’s her email address? If Canada wants to be serious about reducing emissions and saving the environment, they need to take an unprecedented stand and issue a federal rebate/tax credit for all EV owners. A federal program would flood the market with EVs and of course be a step forward to a cleaner environment. Ok rant over.

[email protected]
Contact Catherine McKenna | openparliament.ca
Contact Us | Catherine McKenna | Your member of parliament for Ottawa Centre

I'm not buying the semantic differences between manufacture and dealership...

No, I think it's meant to protect car dealerships who have cars on lot or orders that were predicated on a certain sale price. Keep in mind that some of these companies were covering the rebate, and could have been left out $14k if they weren't given some extra time.

That makes complete sense to me and I don't see the difference as being semantic in nature at all. Combine that with the quote above that mentions Tesla specifically and she's gone...

Good for Tesla for seeing this coming them and rushing them up to us. It's been a great summer so far with our Model 3. $14k off and some people held out for AWD or whatever? I jumped in for only $5k off!

Sorry for those who tried to get in but couldn't. Congrats to those who got in and now own a vehicle worth more than they paid for it!

Ok. Can we make it an amount you’d actully pay upon losing? I mean if I lost I’d skip town:). How about $50?

We need a verified order before today and it being delivered before September. Then we need about 3-6 months to see if they get the rebate. So we need me, you, a third with an order and someone independent to verify it all. Cha think?

Let's just make it a friendly bet. We can get together at a super charger and loser buys the coffee and donuts .

No way they can overtly exclude one manufacturer. The September deadline is the real problem.

If they specifically mentioned Tesla, you might have a point -- even though by legislation the government can exclude specific companies -- but that has not been done. Instead, certain criteria must be met. If all but one company can meet the criteria, that does not mean one company was excluded. It simply means that company does not meet the criteria.

Reactions: adaptabl
If they specifically mentioned Tesla, you might have a point -- even though by legislation the government can exclude specific companies -- but that has not been done. Instead, certain criteria must be met. If all but one company can meet the criteria, that does not mean one company was excluded. It simply means that company does not meet the criteria.

True enough. Having said that, one doesn’t have to look very far to find the party and Doug himself specifically singling out Tesla. I could be wrong but I don’t recall them ever saying ‘those rich people buying Hyundai’s and chevys’. Tesla? For sure.

In law you can’t get in through the back door what you couldn’t get in through the front.

Reactions: Canuck