Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not expecting it nor would I be pissed off. I have my car, didn’t order EAP either. In this unique situation if Elon said ok dougie, were pushing back and offered their own incentive to follow through with the purchase to get more of their product on the road I’d applaud him. They’re being bullied. I’d love the company to retain as many orders as they can and I’d not feel shortchanged given I’d received the rebate. Maybe you’d complain.

No that is not true, the 75k is a general guideline of which the MTO would use to consider the cars. It can get on the list, but if it didn’t get on in time, then it is out of luck.

At this point though, that may be moot as the rule looks like it is explicitly crafted to disqualify Tesla buyers. The best hope we have is to make the province see how unjust it is and force a change movement.

The reno guys did it, me may still have a chance

Shoot. You're right! I double checked it. Thanks for that! Well, I wrote to John Yakabuski, the MTO minister, Andrew Horwarth, the premier's office... and plan to write all the other MPP's! The chances of success may be slim, but I wont be cancelling until I've exhausted every option.

• Disagree
Reactions: Abrew2014
If you haven't already, please contact Greg Keenan at Globe and Mail Greg Keenanand Michelle Cheung at CBC ASAP please Michelle Cheung (@MichelleCBC) | Twitter. They are doing stories about this so make sure your voice is heard!!!! Everyone do this if you are impacted by Ford's decision to remove the incentive for Tesla customers who have ordered before July 11th!
Thanks- I reached out to Michelle as soon as I heard

Totally fair point I do agree....if you can afford a 50k car, you can likely afford a 65k car (in 90% of cases...) I think the whole 'millionaire' comment has nothing to do with the model 3...its due to the S and the X, which are significantly more than the 3. Because the general public sees the S and X as 100k+ cars and don't know much about the 3 it makes sense (in a twisted kind of way) why people have the misconception that Tesla owners are 'rich'. I can afford a model 3, but I cannot afford an S or an X, so there is a distinction there for sure....but the world is more fickle than most people want to admit.
Nonsense. I can’t afford the extra 14 and will cancel my Tesla because of this

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
You guys are crazy if you think Tesla is going to give you auto pilot or fsd or both. You are being to asked to pay retail for the car, it's not their problem the government removed the rebate. You expect them to give you thousands of dollars off the car?

If they did that, they would have tons of pissed off customers all over the world who already paid in full for those features .

Totally agree.

• Disagree
Nonsense. I can’t afford the extra 14 and will cancel my Tesla because of this
First it wasn’t said that all people in that price range can afford both. Just most. Second the point was that the Ford government singled out a 65k car as for millionaires while allowing the grace period for a $50k car as if those price points are light years apart. They aren’t. For most in that price range.

Reactions: TDog
I’m not expecting it nor would I be pissed off. I have my car, didn’t order EAP either. In this unique situation if Elon said ok dougie, were pushing back and offered their own incentive to follow through with the purchase to get more of their product on the road I’d applaud him. They’re being bullied. I’d love the company to retain as many orders as they can and I’d not feel shortchanged given I’d received the rebate. Maybe you’d complain.

Yes I would complain. We would all want free AP and FSW .

I hope it happens though, cause I would ask for my money back on AP and for a free upgrade to FSD .

• Disagree
Reactions: phigment
Totally agree.
Seriously? You’d bitch after having a subsidized car? Isn’t that like buying something on sale and then being in the store a week later and flipping out hearing the manager say ‘the sale was last week. I can’t give you that price but Ill give you 25% off to keep your business’?

You either want Tesla to push back or you don’t. I can’t stand bullies.

Seriously? You’d bitch after having a subsidized car? Isn’t that like buying something on sale and then being in the store a week later and flipping out hearing the manager say ‘the sale was last week. I can’t give you that price but Ill give you 25% off to keep your business’?

I see your point because we got subsidized, but don't forget that we had a huge rebate here . Other places get nothing. Don't you think they would complain?

Sadly, I have cancelled my order. If people are offered something by Tesla to sweeten things a bit for not cancelling, kudos to them but I just felt that if they haven't figured out something like that already, odds are low it will be offered.

I will wait to see if there's a response from McKenna and the feds. If another program is introduced, I'll start the process over again but with an AWD instead. If nothing is offered, I will still plan to buy an AWD, hopefully in the fall of 2019 unless the Y is fast tracked.

My version of the above tweet was the same except if you also purchased FSD. That way, Tesla gets more people on FSD which they clearly want + gives them some more cash in the process but you get free EAP. Provides a win for both sides.

If this was a well orchestrated series of events against Tesla, it will backfire. People will just resolve even more than ever to own one.
Why cancel right now?

I totally agree. I've had more than a few people show some resentment that their tax dollars help pay for my car. On the upside at least by cutting cap and trade and all the government waste and liberal mismanagement hopefully we can save on our taxes and cost of living over the next few years to more than make up for it
This is my view, even without the rebate I'll be in a better position financial situation.

I see your point because we got subsidized, but don't forget that we had a huge rebate here . Other places get nothing. Don't you think they would complain?
I think in this unique circumstance, if other owners were educated on what is going on in Ontario and how the ICE companies have their sales protected by the government, they might say good on Elon for pushing back.

As an owner I can’t stand that the ice manufacturers in Ontario are all snickering at the solid they got from Dougie while their nemesis gets hosed.

Anyway, if it was for all current undelivered orders as of today, in Ontario only, I’d be more than happy. It’s a special circumstance where the government left the rebate up on the site enticing buyers just to screw them.

• Disagree

Completely different, try this analogy. Best Buy had a 20% off sale on Sony TVs. You walked into the store and the registers closed. Now you want Sony to discount the price or throw in some headphones or speakers.

I don't have an analogy for the deposit sorry.

That said I feel like an idiot buying a tv for 20% more than it cost a day ago.

Reactions: Techniques
I think in this unique circumstance, if other owners were educated on what is going on in Ontario and how the ICE companies have their sales protected by the government, they might say good on Elon for pushing back.

As an owner I can’t stand that the ice manufacturers in Ontario are all snickering at the solid they got from Dougie while their nemesis gets hosed.

Anyway, if it was for all current undelivered orders as of today, in Ontario only, I’d be more than happy. It’s a special circumstance where the government left the rebate up on the site enticing buyers just to screw them.

Well we all want the rebate to be extended, but i disagree that some guy in California is going to give a rats ass about what happened in Ontario. They are just going to throw their hand up and say "me too". I guess we have different expectations of people.

• Disagree
Completely different, try this analogy. Best Buy had a 20% off sale on Sony TVs. You walked into the store and the registers closed. Now you want Sony to discount the price or throw in some headphones or speakers.

I don't have an analogy for the deposit sorry.

That said I feel like an idiot buying a tv for 20% more than it cost a day ago.

Not quite. I don’t think anyway. For this to be analogous there would have to be other brands getting the 20% because the registers stayed open just for them. Want the Sony? Like in the flyer? With the 20% off lure that got you here? Tough *sugar*. The home office gets their butt kissed by LG, Sharp etc, so we’re only honouring it for them.

Ultimately the consumers and taxpayers ended up paying more under cap and trade. Increased gas prices, natural gas for home heating, hydro, everything.
And even though we drive Tesla's, most goods are shipped with fossil fuels and increased transport costs affected us all.
Cap and trade was a tax increase in an indirect way, similar to rent controls and the minimum wage hike .

I used to be pro carbon tax until I saw what happened in BC where they stopped being revenue neutral and treated it as another revenue source for spend addicted leftist governments.

I do agree that the government shouldn't be subsidizing fossil fuels either.. unfortunately all these "green" programs are nothing more than governments playing political games with little substantive action to combat climate change
Come on- leave your politics for other blogs. This is not meant to be a political debate so I encourage you to find your soapbox somewhere else