Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I totally agree. I've had more than a few people show some resentment that their tax dollars help pay for my car. On the upside at least by cutting cap and trade and all the government waste and liberal mismanagement hopefully we can save on our taxes and cost of living over the next few years to more than make up for it

Let's hope. I think Ford is what we need but I do not agree how this was done, and I'm sure there are others things that come up that I will not be in the same page with him about. But overall he's probably our best option at this time

Imagine how mad I am
Just throwing this out there. GM, Ford, Honda and Toyota have significant manufacturing plants in Ontario and are influenential politically. They have also consistently fought Tesla on the dealer laws in the States . The treatment of the cancellation really smells like they had some influence through their lobbying on how it would be wound down. I really think they share a lot of the blame for this mess
I heard from a random guy who got the Bolt EV and it will arrive in september and they told him not to worry because if the car is not there by sep 20 they will register a plate on the vin even though the car is not physically there... should we watch that kind of monkey business closely?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180713-190326_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180713-190326_Chrome.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 60
  • Informative
Reactions: sitter_k
First of all I stand to lose nothing. I’ve had my model 3 since June 7. My point was that when you’re in the 50k range for a car you’re in the same ballpark as the model 3. Yes of course not exactly the same, but to say a 65k car is for millionaires while a 50k is for the minions is bs. To me anyway.

Totally fair point I do agree....if you can afford a 50k car, you can likely afford a 65k car (in 90% of cases...) I think the whole 'millionaire' comment has nothing to do with the model 3...its due to the S and the X, which are significantly more than the 3. Because the general public sees the S and X as 100k+ cars and don't know much about the 3 it makes sense (in a twisted kind of way) why people have the misconception that Tesla owners are 'rich'. I can afford a model 3, but I cannot afford an S or an X, so there is a distinction there for sure....but the world is more fickle than most people want to admit.

I think Tesla know what is going on....

This happens twice.

1/ Floodgate was opened back in the week of Jun 29, just before PC took power

2/ You can order model 3 yesterday without reservation, and then the news about rebate cancellation appears later; you have until midnight

if Tesla can produce 5000 cars/ week, they can easily fill the Ontario's orders.

The other thing it seems is

1/ You may cancel if you don't have VIN yet and may get a full refund

2/ You should be able to move your depost/order money to a future orders, like SR with no premium package

I think that is fair.

The above is from my previous post.

I'm playing devil advocate here.

The fact that floodgate was opened and then anybody in North American can order a Model 3 just before the deadline on July 11 may force Ontario government to change the wording on the press release to keep Tesla orders getting the rebate.

As you know, Tesla is the only one that have any chance of fulfilling the Sep 10, 2018 deadline. I don't really know how many Ontario Tesla orders were created during those 2 days. I guess quite a lot.

I guess if the floodgate was not opened and then not everyone can order Model 3 after July 11, things may be different.

The fact that floodgate was opened and then anybody in North American can order a Model 3 just before the deadline on July 11 may force Ontario government to change the wording on the press release to keep Tesla orders getting the rebate.

As you know, Tesla is the only one that have any chance of fulfilling the Sep 10, 2018 deadline. I don't really know how many Ontario Tesla orders were created during those 2 days. I guess quite a lot.

I guess if the floodgate was not opened and then not everyone can order Model 3 after July 11, things may be different.

Why would the floodgate force the government to do anything? If anything it will make them not change anything .They are trying not to pay aren't they?

Oh boy - that’s not how it works. Cap and trade was funded by selling ‘carbon credits’ to large polluting businesses. The revenue from this was then applied to green rebates. As such, the program was able to both incentivize large polluters to figure out a way to pollute less, as well as promote the adoption of clean tech solution to help that industry to grow and become competitive.

You want to know where our tax dollars are really being wasted? Subsidizing fossil fuel companies. That DOES come out of tax revenue.

Ultimately the consumers and taxpayers ended up paying more under cap and trade. Increased gas prices, natural gas for home heating, hydro, everything.
And even though we drive Tesla's, most goods are shipped with fossil fuels and increased transport costs affected us all.
Cap and trade was a tax increase in an indirect way, similar to rent controls and the minimum wage hike .

I used to be pro carbon tax until I saw what happened in BC where they stopped being revenue neutral and treated it as another revenue source for spend addicted leftist governments.

I do agree that the government shouldn't be subsidizing fossil fuels either.. unfortunately all these "green" programs are nothing more than governments playing political games with little substantive action to combat climate change

If you have follow the conversation, you know MTO was flooded with application when Tesla redirect cars to Ontario. Someone said they have more than 1000 applications.

When they open up the floodgate, I would image at least another thousand (mine being one of them), plus whatever those last minute orders on July 11. It just flood the whole rebate system. Orderly shutdown eh! No More!

I'm just trying to do some reasoning from devil's mind. :)

Reactions: haromaem

I think your logic makes sense....the model 3 is going to sell well (not as well a with the rebate, but still well) much better than other EVs in Canada in my opinion. My first EV was a 2014 volt, and at that time my license plate was GVAD-XXX...indicating that by that time Ontario had given out ~ 3,000 EV licence plates. 3.5 years later, my wife bought a Bolt, and her licence plate is GVAL-XXX, so in 3.5 years Ontario plated ~8,000 EVs. I bet there were 8,000 model 3 reservation holders in Ontario alone, and 'someone' did the math and that is the main motivation for excluding Tesla from the rebate.

This also makes sense to me the more I think about it, because for a while I was tracking how many volts would be sold in Canada vs the US....on average Canada would sell around 2000 Volts/year across the country, so maybe around 900 in Quebec, 700 in Ontario and 400 in BC (rough guess....). Also, now after 8+ years of the volt being on the market I see about 3-4 a day regularly on the road....the model 3 has been only delivered in 1 batch to ontario currently, and I saw 4 of them when I drove from Burlington to Oshawa yesterday...similarly, I rarely see Chevy bolts (except when we stop at Ikea to charge my wife's bolt), but I have seen more model 3's on the highway in 1 week than I have seen Bolt's in over a year.....This car is still going to do very well and I'm excited to get mine.

Tesla, like Uber and Netflix to name a few, is destroying the whole ICE market.

No more gas stations, no more auto mechanics shops, no dealerships, no more lube shops. They won't go down without a fight.

Tesla is producing 5000 cars/week, with or without rebate, is going to be best seller in Canada and USA.

I'm very impressed with Tesla, they are willing to give you back your depost/downpayment. When is the last time you can do that from a automobile dealers? not a fat chance.

So my next car, and the one after that is Tesla. No Middle man.

Sadly, I have cancelled my order. If people are offered something by Tesla to sweeten things a bit for not cancelling, kudos to them but I just felt that if they haven't figured out something like that already, odds are low it will be offered.

I will wait to see if there's a response from McKenna and the feds. If another program is introduced, I'll start the process over again but with an AWD instead. If nothing is offered, I will still plan to buy an AWD, hopefully in the fall of 2019 unless the Y is fast tracked.

My version of the above tweet was the same except if you also purchased FSD. That way, Tesla gets more people on FSD which they clearly want + gives them some more cash in the process but you get free EAP. Provides a win for both sides.

If this was a well orchestrated series of events against Tesla, it will backfire. People will just resolve even more than ever to own one.

Attachments

• 4E9B6F0D-D366-4438-AFA1-7A3ADCDFFF8A.png
    4E9B6F0D-D366-4438-AFA1-7A3ADCDFFF8A.png
    255 KB · Views: 44
Ultimately the consumers and taxpayers ended up paying more under cap and trade. Increased gas prices, natural gas for home heating, hydro, everything.
And even though we drive Tesla's, most goods are shipped with fossil fuels and increased transport costs affected us all.
Cap and trade was a tax increase in an indirect way, similar to rent controls and the minimum wage hike .

I used to be pro carbon tax until I saw what happened in BC where they stopped being revenue neutral and treated it as another revenue source for spend addicted leftist governments.

I do agree that the government shouldn't be subsidizing fossil fuels either.. unfortunately all these "green" programs are nothing more than governments playing political games with little substantive action to combat climate change

Sigh. In a way you are correct; ANYTHING that interferes with an efficient system can be viewed as a tax, economic rent, etc. Of course that would include any and all government services (including hospitals and policing), all regulations, workplace safety rules and any laws other than those absolutely necessary to maintain security. Under the same logic all externalities should be ignored too. Rivers and lakes, the air and ground, can all be polluted without penalty. Heck, even walking 10 feet to throw your trash in a trash can imposes a ‘cost’ in terms of time and effort.

It’s an extreme libertarian view and the ugly side of capitalism. It’s one I don’t subscribe to. The question is not whether or not it’s economically efficient, but if the well being justifies brought about by it justifies the cost to us all. In regard to many things I tend to side with maintaining as little government interference as possible and keeping the system as efficient as possible - the free market is much better at innovation, for example.

However, when it comes to the environment, I do believe in strong regulation and incentives to help spur on a sustainable future for us and our children. Does it come with a cost born by society in general? Yes, and I’ll gladly pay it.

The AWD model was never eligible for the rebate since it was never on the MTO list of eligible vehicles here:
Eligible Electric Vehicles

If the rebate program had continued, AWD would likely have been added in due time. However, since the program is now cancelled, the list of eligible vehicles won't be updated.

It was eligible as it was still below the $75,000 threshold.

It was eligible as it was still below the $75,000 threshold.
No that is not true, the 75k is a general guideline of which the MTO would use to consider the cars. It can get on the list, but if it didn’t get on in time, then it is out of luck.

At this point though, that may be moot as the rule looks like it is explicitly crafted to disqualify Tesla buyers. The best hope we have is to make the province see how unjust it is and force a change movement.

The reno guys did it, me may still have a chance

Reactions: adaptabl
Sadly, I have cancelled my order. If people are offered something by Tesla to sweeten things a bit for not cancelling, kudos to them but I just felt that if they haven't figured out something like that already, odds are low it will be offered.

I will wait to see if there's a response from McKenna and the feds. If another program is introduced, I'll start the process over again but with an AWD instead. If nothing is offered, I will still plan to buy an AWD, hopefully in the fall of 2019 unless the Y is fast tracked.

My version of the above tweet was the same except if you also purchased FSD. That way, Tesla gets more people on FSD which they clearly want + gives them some more cash in the process but you get free EAP. Provides a win for both sides.

If this was a well orchestrated series of events against Tesla, it will backfire. People will just resolve even more than ever to own one.

You guys are crazy if you think Tesla is going to give you auto pilot or fsd or both. You are being to asked to pay retail for the car, it's not their problem the government removed the rebate. You expect them to give you thousands of dollars off the car?

If they did that, they would have tons of pissed off customers all over the world who already paid in full for those features .

You guys are crazy if you think Tesla is going to give you auto pilot or fsd or both. You are being to asked to pay retail for the car, it's not their problem the government removed the rebate. You expect them to give you thousands of dollars off the car?

If they did that, they would have tons of pissed off customers all over the world who already paid in full for those features .

If I believed it was going to happen, I wouldn't have cancelled my order. I'm just saying that's the logic I would have proposed. I did not propose this to Tesla! Just in theory, this is what I would have proposed instead of just asking for free EAP.

The consideration is that we are not like all other customers. We placed orders based on the availability of an incentive which was rescinded. However, I agree, that most customers would see this negatively. Bad optics and that's why I believe it will never be offered.