Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t see a VIN on the account yet, has the SA called? Friday I was told it was still a few weeks away, today he said I could pick it up this week and opened the financing app and trade in details. Maybe I got a cancellation, I probably picked a somewhat popular build. I gave myself the choice of paint or the wheels, and I thought black and sport wheels looked the best if I had to only pick one.

No call yet for me !

Did they call you and assign your VIN last Friday?

FYI - wrote the ministry of transportation. They redirected me to the ministry of finance.

Everyone write the ministry of finance as well as the premier’s office.

...and of course your local MPP, especially if they’re PC.

What a joke. I wrote the premier's office. Doug Ford himself, or so it says, wrote me back and told me he was going to forward my concerns to the MTO, in particular John Yakabuski. Whom I had already written. Feels like a run-around is occurring...

• Disagree
Reactions: Abrew2014
With the cancelled orders of cars in Toronto wouldn’t that result in cars on lots if they say moved them to Oakville for instance. Why couldn’t someone walk into the lot and buy ‘stock’? Oakville is an omvic dealer and that sale wouldn’t have been an online direct
order.

Highly unlikely this will happen...lets say that one gets delivered and the owner backs away from the sale...first thing they will do is go through the list of people who ordered that exact same config in Ontario, Quebec, BC, etc and just offer them to pick up their car right away...I'm guessing they will find someone about 30 min after the initial buyer backs out in Ontario....if I wasn't waiting for the AWD I ordered I would 100% take over someone else's order if it were at a dealership tomorrow (without the rebate even). But since we are likely not going to get any rebate for RWD (my opinion) I'll stick with my AWD order and do my best to stay patient :)

So you cancel it with Tesla and your wife walks onto the lot two days later and buys the car from Tesla Oakville. All the receipts etc will show a sale from Tesla Oakville. If that’s denied not sure why you couldn’t file a small claims action for 14k.

Admittedly Tesla would need to play ball. Not saying they would I’m just wondering if anyone can think of a reason why it wouldn’t work if it went down that way.

So you cancel it with Tesla and your wife walks onto the lot two days later and buys the car from Tesla Oakville. All the receipts etc will show a sale from Tesla Oakville. If that’s denied not sure why you couldn’t file a small claims action for 14k.

Admittedly Tesla would need to play ball. Not saying they would I’m just wondering if anyone can think of a reason why it wouldn’t work if it went down that way.

Elaborating on your thought experiment, what if we don’t leave it to chance? What if Tesla does a procedural change at your scheduled delivery? So, when my car arrives at a dealer for delivery, I go in to accept it. Before I sign for it, I cancel my order so that the car is technically ”Inventory that dealers have on lots”. Then the dealer sells the car to me on the spot. Shouldn’t this qualify under the rebate rules? Granted, Tesla would have to accommodate this change but they’ve already shown that they’re willing to help (ie refunds). Anyone think of why this wouldn’t work?

Elaborating on your thought experiment, what if we don’t leave it to chance? What if Tesla does a procedural change at your scheduled delivery? So, when my car arrives at a dealer for delivery, I go in to accept it. Before I sign for it, I cancel my order so that the car is technically ”Inventory that dealers have on lots”. Then the dealer sells the car to me on the spot. Shouldn’t this qualify under the rebate rules? Granted, Tesla would have to accommodate this change but they’ve already shown that they’re willing to help (ie refunds). Anyone think of why this wouldn’t work?
I think to keep it at arms length the end buyer would have to be a different name. Just my opinion. If I were in the situation, I’d certainly ask my SA if they’d sell it to my wife at the Oakville dealership in a couple days after I cancel the order. That way it’s a completely new transaction.

• Inventory that dealers have on lots or orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10.
Nope. It says OR. If they wanted it to be inclusive they needed a comma after manufacturers.

Last edited:
Reactions: richyrich

I love this idea. Does it meets all the requirements for the $14k?

We are struggling with the decision to cancel or go ahead. Leaning towards going through with the purchase but we will struggle and that's why we are having such a difficult time making the decision. We will need a new car soon but can get a used one for $10-15k that will serve our purposes (minus gas costs and fill ups which is a pain).

Tesla.... Hope you read this and can find a way to make this work.

Reactions: sitter_k