Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The rebate form is not a contract with the Ministry.

Ford or the PC's wouldn't go into complete detail about Tesla contracts prior to wind down. He didn't have to once he stated "ALL CONTRACTS" If he would have mentioned only Tesla then what about all others. He made a blanket statement which covers all contracts.

He wasn't ambiguous he was plain and simple in his comments. Either come out and say that his comments were wrong or honor your word.

If CBC or Tesla say there are only 20- 50 people affected. then do the right thing.
That number (if actually valid) would change since many (almost all?) AWD orders would be changed. I plan to do that, if possible, that is why I contacted Tesla to see if I could change my order and still retain the original order date.

The rebate form is not a contract with the Ministry.

Ford or the PC's wouldn't go into complete detail about Tesla contracts prior to wind down. He didn't have to once he stated "ALL CONTRACTS" If he would have mentioned only Tesla then what about all others. He made a blanket statement which covers all contracts.

He wasn't ambiguous he was plain and simple in his comments. Either come out and say that his comments were wrong or honor your word.

If CBC or Tesla say there are only 20- 50 people affected. then do the right thing.

agreed. Unfortunately though, when he was specifically asked by individuals who specifically mentioned "I have an order agreement with Tesla, i'm concerned", the reply was exactly the same as someone asking "basically" the same question without mentioning Tesla. They kept going back to "Contracts will be honoured" not "any purchase agreement made will be honoured"

I do not accept that there is a definitive correlation between the governments perception of "Contracts" and our perception. Common sense would think that's what they were talking about.. but clearly this wasn't the case.

The unfortunate outcome appears to be that someone within the government looked at just how many orders there are/ would be for the Model 3, that it was written this way to reduce the financial obligations of the government rebate payouts.

The strange thing to me is that Tesla is a registered dealer through OMVIC. If they are not a dealer.. then why did I pay the OMVIC fee?

agreed. Unfortunately though, when he was specifically asked by individuals who specifically mentioned "I have an order agreement with Tesla, i'm concerned", the reply was exactly the same as someone asking "basically" the same question without mentioning Tesla. They kept going back to "Contracts will be honoured" not "any purchase agreement made will be honoured"

I do not accept that there is a definitive correlation between the governments perception of "Contracts" and our perception. Common sense would think that's what they were talking about.. but clearly this wasn't the case.

The unfortunate outcome appears to be that someone within the government looked at just how many orders there are/ would be for the Model 3, that it was written this way to reduce the financial obligations of the government rebate payouts.

The strange thing to me is that Tesla is a registered dealer through OMVIC. If they are not a dealer.. then why did I pay the OMVIC fee?
Then Ford should have used" All Contracts with Dealerships". Don't mislead or confuse the public. Nothing to gain. He is not on Kijiji trying to sell you something. Contract means a legal agreement between two parties. we are obliged to perform our part of the contract with Tesla. Tesla needs to perform their part of the contract.

Ford knew what he was saying. I'm not sure that he has communicated this with his Minister Yakabuski.

I personally don't believe Ford would do this to the customer. (people of Ontario). I think he and Yakabuski think Tesla will be on the hook for the cars.

The MTO has used the same wording as the state government in TEXAS.

So hopefully the PC's see their wrong and fix it.

Telsa was never submitting the applications. It is up to the consumer.

What? Tesla always submitted application for the rebate.. Not the charger. & sorry I meant to say Sept 10th.

I'm still optimistic that Model 3 orders that are delivered before Sept 10th might still be eligible for the 14k:

"Inventory that dealers have on lots or orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10."

What? Tesla always submitted application for the rebate.. Not the charger. & sorry I meant to say Sept 10th.

I'm still optimistic that Model 3 orders that are delivered before Sept 10th might still be eligible for the 14k:

"Inventory that dealers have on lots or orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10."
I know your new here. But maybe you need to start around thread 90 or so. Some good reads in the posts

Reactions: ThiagoSnow
Update by MTO. What next? This is a targeted attack on Tesla. Tesla service personnel aren't sure what is going to happen.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180717-153026.jpg
    Screenshot_20180717-153026.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Informative
Reactions: mahagala

The problem is that the orders were not made by the dealership, the consumers made the order directly with the manufacturer. (Unless you went into one of the Tesla dealerships and had them place/process the order for your Model 3.)

Reactions: adaptabl
They are meeting me tomorrow to film my sad driveway with a half installed charger and no car as well :/

When they talked to me I said:

- I ordered the car with the rebate listed on BOTH the Tesla and Ontario Website
- They reassured consumers there would be a 'wind down' period
- There is no difference for a consumer if I buy off a website or from a dealer. (side note, if i buy off a ford.ca website does that also get screwed?)
- In the end this car is stretching my budget but we felt we were doing the right thing for the environment.
- They are protecting dealers but not consumers with the wording of the law
- I still have faith they would change things and do the right thing.
Congrats on getting your car. Fingers crossed the report does the trick. We are still very much fighting

Tesla used to submit applications... many moons ago. But that was MANY moons.

I am also impacted. I completed my order on 6/21/2018.

I have already send the email to all of the MPP's. I will now send an email to Iris.

I also just had a discussion with a Tesla rep and he informed me that as it stands, the incentive is no longer applicable. However, he did say that Tesla is trying to work with the government.

Until then, I suggest we keep blasting the MPP's, MTO, Doug Ford, etc..

My fear is that the longer time passes, the less likely there will be any exception for us.

If anyone is or has been sitting on the fence between Tesla and another EV given the rebate has been pulled, it's things like this below that only reinforce for me that Tesla is the only option.

GM claims to be all-in on electric vehicles but CEO Barra asks Trump administration to cut back on EVs.

"This double-face thing is really frustrating to me as an EV enthusiast. It makes it harder to get on board with GM’s EV programs when they are trying to slow down the overall adoption of electric vehicles."

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric