Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm so happy with all this great news... People who cancelled can reorder and get the car and rebate... Those who did not get their car in time can now apply for the rebate. We love our car and now that we are equally the same distance from work we are setting up a custody plan. Congrats everyone. I'm so thrilled Tesla kept fighting for everyone!!!!

There are no H3's left in Canada apparently from what I was told so might have to go with X-Ice. Visited Oakville Tesla today and am hoping to grab a build that's in delivery but had to "settle" for the 19" wheels and midnight grey to achieve that. :)
This exact configuration was in their showroom and it does look very nice so hopefully no regrets.

Test drove one with the 19" wheels today and was fine with them. A little pricey but what can you do with limited inventory options.

My SALES guy (not DA) was under the impression that only inventory would be used, a complete 180° from what DA was telling me. So I'm not sure what to believe at this point. If only inventory, a lot of people would be left out as it's very limited and many of the VIN's are older.

He also mentioned that they HAD submitted the AWD for inclusion in the EHVIP program but it wasn't approved. (my feeling all along was that they did them in batches so it might have just been a timing issue and nothing nefarious against Tesla, but just my guess)

Here it is again; Tesla’s infamous communication capabilities.

I do think they’re ordering in more. Consider that Musk recently stated that anyone who ordered their car prior to Nov 30th should be able to get it by Dec 31st and still get the full US federal tax credit. We now see the same language in the email sent to us (i.e. order by Nov 30th). Granted, we are in Canada, but that shouldn’t make delivery any more difficult (and they’ve invested in more delivery capacity recently to ensure no delivery bottlenecks). In other words, if Tesla wants to, then they can make it happen. But it’s now a race for time for everyone - both in the US and in Ontario. However, given the drama that has surrounded our case, I think our orders will be prioritized. There’s also not that many of us (100-200) and they’re churning out 5000+ per week and trying to take it to 7000/week within a week or two.

Am I sure about this? No. But this seems to me to be the likliest scenario.

In any event, I’ll be doing some more calling tonight to try and get to the bottom of this...

Here it is again; Tesla’s infamous communication capabilities.

I do think they’re ordering in more. Consider that Musk recently stated that anyone who ordered their car prior to Nov 30th should be able to get it by Dec 31st and still get the full US federal tax credit. We now see the same language in the email sent to us (i.e. order by Nov 30th). Granted, we are in Canada, but that shouldn’t make delivery any more difficult (and they’ve invested in more delivery capacity recently to ensure no delivery bottlenecks). In other words, if Tesla wants to, then they can make it happen. But it’s now a race for time for everyone - both in the US and in Ontario. However, given the drama that has surrounded our case, I think our orders will be prioritized. There’s also not that many of us (100-200) and they’re churning out 5000+ per week and trying to take it to 7000/week within a week or two.

Am I sure about this? No. But this seems to me to be the likliest scenario.

In any event, I’ll be doing some more calling tonight to try and get to the bottom of this...

There is a massive effort to deliver the cars to those qualified before end of year. Like I said before, if Tesla don't think it's doable, they won't agree to the timeline. At 5000 cars/week, they won't have a problem to meet Ontario demand, which I assume will be less than 200.

There is a massive effort to deliver the cars to those qualified before end of year. Like I said before, if Tesla don't think it's doable, they won't agree to the timeline. At 5000 cars/week, they won't have a problem to meet Ontario demand, which I assume will be less than 200.
Agreed.

But there is a fly in the ointment; in the US they will be losing the full tax credit at the end of the year. Thus there are two races - one in Ontario and one in the US. Tesla definitely CAN produce all the cars for us, but they might have to de-prioritize some US customers to do so. That is my one concern.

Reactions: adaptabl
If u think u qualify just give your local guy a call with your old RN number
Yes, I couldn't wait so I've find a contact through Tesla Oakville. Here is his response:

Thanks for reaching out, I have put in a request to our head office to see your eligibility for the rebate with the government. If eligible, I will reach out with next steps in obtaining the vehicle.

This news is still quite new, so we will be in touch when we get notice from the government as to which customers are eligible.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary Takhar | Inside Delivery Advisor, Canada

2 Bloor Street East, Toronto, ON M4W 1A8

m. +1 (416) 278-1587 | [email protected]

Hey guys,

First post.

I was one of the 175 Ontarians who bailed after the 14k was (seemingly) taken away. I Ordered in June, Cancelled in July, and received my $ back in Sept-Oct. After religiously following this post all summer, I kept following it for a couple reasons: because I'm a huge fan of Tesla, but mostly as a "Hail Mary" in case there was some sort of vindication against the unjust EHVIP phase out. I came to terms with the fact that I couldn't afford a Tesla.

With the news from the last few days, I anxiously awaited a call/email of my own, then buckled this afternoon and called the Toronto showroom. After being redirected a few times I was able to place my order (Black, Aero, PUP) and pay my $3200 deposit (again). The order went through and I'm shaking with excitement (again). Thanks to Tesla for fighting for what is right!

Note: Incidentally, I inquired about the white interior. I'd rather have the white, and I'd be willing to pay for it, but the guy helping me told me that getting the white was not an option for anyone wanting the 14k rebate. He claimed that there won't be any long range RWD cars with white interior (as the white was never offered on LR RWD). I know this contradicts what a few people have posted on here, I did get him to double check and ask a manager, and it was confirmed. The manager said that waiting for a white interior LR RWD (which may not exist) will certainly delay a delivery date, and we can't really afford any delays with a Jan 3 deadline. I'm not saying that the guys that I was talking to are right and everyone else is wrong, I'm just reporting what I heard.

Best Christmas Gift!

Hey guys,

First post.

I was one of the 175 Ontarians who bailed after the 14k was (seemingly) taken away. I Ordered in June, Cancelled in July, and received my $ back in Sept-Oct. After religiously following this post all summer, I kept following it for a couple reasons: because I'm a huge fan of Tesla, but mostly as a "Hail Mary" in case there was some sort of vindication against the unjust EHVIP phase out. I came to terms with the fact that I couldn't afford a Tesla.

With the news from the last few days, I anxiously awaited a call/email of my own, then buckled this afternoon and called the Toronto showroom. After being redirected a few times I was able to place my order (Black, Aero, PUP) and pay my $3200 deposit (again). The order went through and I'm shaking with excitement (again). Thanks to Tesla for fighting for what is right!

Note: Incidentally, I inquired about the white interior. I'd rather have the white, and I'd be willing to pay for it, but the guy helping me told me that getting the white was not an option for anyone wanting the 14k rebate. He claimed that there won't be any long range RWD cars with white interior (as the white was never offered on LR RWD). I know this contradicts what a few people have posted on here, I did get him to double check and ask a manager, and it was confirmed. The manager said that waiting for a white interior LR RWD (which may not exist) will certainly delay a delivery date, and we can't really afford any delays with a Jan 3 deadline. I'm not saying that the guys that I was talking to are right and everyone else is wrong, I'm just reporting what I heard.

Best Christmas Gift!
Welcome to the discussion and thanks for your input. This lack of clear guidelines is VERY frustrating.

I spoke with a salesperson yesterday who told me that the DAs know way more than the sales people, so that I should defer to the DAs. My DA told me that white would be ok. But I have NO idea if this is true.

What I think IS safe to say is that if white interior is not an option it would not be because of the government; they didn’t specify interior (or exterior) colour options. But it might be that the logistics of white are too challenging with the timelines.

Do you have the name of the person who told you this? Or at least the location you were speaking to?

Welcome to the discussion and thanks for your input. This lack of clear guidelines is VERY frustrating.

I spoke with a salesperson yesterday who told me that the DAs know way more than the sales people, so that I should defer to the DAs. My DA told me that white would be ok. But I have NO idea if this is true.

What I think IS safe to say is that if white interior is not an option it would not be because of the government; they didn’t specify interior (or exterior) colour options. But it might be that the logistics of white are too challenging with the timelines.

Do you have the name of the person who told you this? Or at least the location you were speaking to?

I didn't get a name of the guy that was helping me, but I called the Toronto (Lawrence) location, and asked for sales.

If white interior is an option, I'd love to get it. When do I get a DA? I'd love to see if someone can get me white

I didn't get a name of the guy that was helping me, but I called the Toronto (Lawrence) location, and asked for sales.

If white interior is an option, I'd love to get it. When do I get a DA? I'd love to see if someone can get me white

Good question - really don’t know when you’d get one. Really, it seems as though the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing - and just forget about those feet!

What I’m hoping to do is to get the DAs to speak with the sales managers and try and find out where the disconnect is coming from.