Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, I've put in an order and sent to the DA. Yes, I agree. The information is all over the map. My guy is telling me that they won't be making any new vehicles for us but merely matching our order with existing vehicles in Canada/US, thus there is no guarantee we will get what we want exactly. Everything is on a first come first serve basis. But if this is the case, then why don't they notify everyone who were affected at the same time? Also, he doesn't want to guarantee that we'll be getting a rebate. So, we'll have to confirm with MTO ourselves. Typical Tesla communication style...

Also, looks like there is $1,000 in base price, and $700 in colour for my case. Well, let's see what happens at the end... I'm not even convinced that we will for sure be getting the vehicle and the rebate...

Reactions: adaptabl
@adaptabl You remind me of a children's story

The Fox and The Grapes

A fox tries to get grapes to eat but cannot. The fox goes away in disgust saying he didn’t want them anyhow.

It is easy to despise what you cannot get.

I'm happy I got my 7,000 grapes. Used $51.00 in gas and about $50.00 in electricity for 3600KM's so far. The $250.00 free gas card for a sales referral is going to go a long ways.

Okay, I've put in an order and sent to the DA. Yes, I agree. The information is all over the map. My guy is telling me that they won't be making any new vehicles for us but merely matching our order with existing vehicles in Canada/US, thus there is no guarantee we will get what we want exactly. Everything is on a first come first serve basis. But if this is the case, then why don't they notify everyone who were affected at the same time? Also, he doesn't want to guarantee that we'll be getting a rebate. So, we'll have to confirm with MTO ourselves. Typical Tesla communication style...

Also, looks like there is $1,000 in base price, and $700 in colour for my case. Well, let's see what happens at the end... I'm not even convinced that we will for sure be getting the vehicle and the rebate...
It would be pretty bad if they contact you to reorder and then no matching VINs. Then might as well cancel again lol.

I'm happy I got my 7,000 grapes. Used $51.00 in gas and about $50.00 in electricity for 3600KM's so far. The $250.00 free gas card for a sales referral is going to go a long ways.

Geez - that must suck. I feel for you. And no, I am not being sarcastic. It must bite to have sprung for the hybrid alternative, gotten a few thousand, and then learned that you missed out on a Tesla twice over. Any animosity I would feel for you is overshadowed by my sympathy.

But what I don't understand is 'why come back here over and over?' I mean, it must be salt in the wound...Really, if I were you I would just move on.

Did u actually got the email from Tesla that you are eligible for the rebate? I would imagine that Tesla would provide a list of cancelled orders with name and email address to Ontario government, if you are not on the list, you may not get it.

Did u actually got the email from Tesla that you are eligible for the rebate? I would imagine that Tesla would provide a list of cancelled orders with name and email address to Ontario government, if you are not on the list, you may not get it.
I've talked my DA. He said it doesn't matter if you get the email or not. We need to reach out to MTO for eligibility of the rebate. I can see how they can't speak for the gov't (especially this one).

Who in MTO can we ask about this?

haha, this is totally different from my impression. Tesla send us an email indicating that they have agreement with government that we are one of those few that are eligible. "Handful" is the word which indicate it's a limited number.

The instruction is to book the car with the original name and original email, get the RN, and reply to the email that with the email and indicates in the email we are claiming for rebate.

The DA will then flag our RN as eligible for the rebate.

That is, Tesla starts the process and we just follow.

As you know, the Tesla communication is not the greatest. The thing I'm worried about is Ontario can come back and said you are not one of those ones that qualify even though you are.

Reactions: felixculpas
Geez - that must suck. I feel for you. And no, I am not being sarcastic. It must bite to have sprung for the hybrid alternative, gotten a few thousand, and then learned that you missed out on a Tesla twice over. Any animosity I would feel for you is overshadowed by my sympathy.

But what I don't understand is 'why come back here over and over?' I mean, it must be salt in the wound...Really, if I were you I would just move on.

No worries. I am happy in the decision we made. Even if there was a continuation of the rebate program I would not buy now. Down the road we will buy another EV as there will be new programs and/or large price reductions, as well as more selection. At some point very soon EV's will have to sell on the value in the car not the rebates.

Ok. Got a new DA. This is what I was able to glean:

- the sooner you get your order in the better; your RN puts you ‘in line’
- when your number comes up, they check and see if any cars either in inventory, or being sent up meet your build specifications. If not, they call you and ask you what you would like instead from amongst the available options. So you might not get a white interior, but specifying white won’t hurt you
- the DAs are getting their instructions directly from the powers in charge of this initiative. So listen to the DAs. The sales folks are guessing or basing their comments on the usual procedures, which do not apply (as a side not, even a sales person I spoke with told me the DAs have better info)

That’s about it for now.

haha, this is totally different from my impression. Tesla send us an email indicating that they have agreement with government that we are one of those few that are eligible. "Handful" is the word which indicate it's a limited number.

The instruction is to book the car with the original name and original email, get the RN, and reply to the email that with the email and indicates in the email we are claiming for rebate.

The DA will then flag our RN as eligible for the rebate.

That is, Tesla starts the process and we just follow.

As you know, the Tesla communication is not the greatest. The thing I'm worried about is Ontario can come back and said you are not one of those ones that qualify even though you are.
Okay, I've talked to both Shaun and Gary and asked them the same questions. They both said that the legal team advised them a couple of days ago that the government is now agreed to give rebate to whoever ordered prior to July 11th then cancelled the order due to the cancellation of the EHVIP. So whether or not I get the letter, if I meet that criteria, I am eligible to apply for the rebate. The kicker is... He said: "I need to say this carefully. You are eligible to apply for the rebate, but whether you will get it is solely up to the government. You should check with them." Here is the conflicting information between the 2 DA. Gary said they won't be manufacturing any new M3 LR/RWD to fulfill our orders, whereas Shaun said the opposite....

I don't know. Perhaps just wait to see if there is a match. If not, then cancel again!

Okay, I've talked to both Shaun and Gary and asked them the same questions. They both said that the legal team advised them a couple of days ago that the government is now agreed to give rebate to whoever ordered prior to July 11th then cancelled the order due to the cancellation of the EHVIP. So whether or not I get the letter, if I meet that criteria, I am eligible to apply for the rebate. The kicker is... He said: "I need to say this carefully. You are eligible to apply for the rebate, but whether you will get it is solely up to the government. You should check with them." Here is the conflicting information between the 2 DA. Gary said they won't be manufacturing any new M3 LR/RWD to fulfill our orders, whereas Shaun said the opposite....

I don't know. Perhaps just wait to see if there is a match. If not, then cancel again!

The thing is that the government EHVIP website did not mention what Tesla told us at all. I'm not sure how government can determine our eligibility when we send in the rebate forms. I hope Tesla will send the government a list of names and emails, and the government check against that.

That's what I said before. The list is provided by Tesla (the power) to the DA. Logic dictates it is a list that are shared among government and Tesla. When you submitted your rebate, it would be matched to the list.

It only make sense when they are in discussion, the first thing that would come up is how many cancellations are we dealing with, do you have a list? and if so, please provide a list before we talk further. So now they know the exact number, which is in hundreds and not thousands, then they can start talking. It comes down to the number is so small it's no point in fighting it in court, just settle it and set a deadline and call it the day.

The DA that sent me the instruction is the same DA I dealt with before, so it's not a random guy. He got instruction from above.

Reactions: felixculpas
No worries. I am happy in the decision we made. Even if there was a continuation of the rebate program I would not buy now. Down the road we will buy another EV as there will be new programs and/or large price reductions, as well as more selection. At some point very soon EV's will have to sell on the value in the car not the rebates.

You are 100% correct, a bird in a hand is better 2 in the forest.

No matter how you look at it, it's a good decision. If I don't have a ICE that is workable, I would have done the same thing. Now 2 months later, I have to service my ICE thinking that I won't get EV. If I have hybrid, I would have sold my ICE and won't see that expense.

Now I am just hoping that I can see the rebate, I am a guy that won't believe "cheque is in the mail" until I can deposit it, clear it and use it. lol

Reactions: champion1955
The thing is that the government EHVIP website did not mention what Tesla told us at all. I'm not sure how government can determine our eligibility when we send in the rebate forms. I hope Tesla will send the government a list of names and emails, and the government check against that.
I'm sure more information will surface next week. Afterall, they just got the instruction from their legal team on Tuesday or so.

And Thursday/Friday were holidays. More will surface next week for sure. The emails wouldn't have been sent out if it wasn't a done deal. I wouldn't be surprised if the current forms (with the expired dates) are to be used and the ministry will just cross reference your app to a list provided by Tesla and it will be a very simple process. I agree that first come, first served will be determined by RN# though that's also wishful thinking on my part as I jumped on it within hours of the email going out on Tuesday morning.

I've test driven a number of hybrids and in my books none compare to a Model 3 with a 14k rebate. The battery technology alone is years ahead of anyone else and even that of the X and S to a degree. It's the single most important part of an EV purchase to me and I have numerous trips in mind already.

Pretty sure we'll never see this repeated ever again so it's now or never. Hard not to support a company that has worked behind the scenes to accomplish this for us. They're not perfect but they do many things exceptionally well.

When the cost of EV's come down, the resale value of plug-in hybrids will drop like a stone.

And Thursday/Friday were holidays. More will surface next week for sure. The emails wouldn't have been sent out if it wasn't a done deal. I wouldn't be surprised if the current forms (with the expired dates) are to be used and the ministry will just cross reference your app to a list provided by Tesla and it will be a very simple process. I agree that first come, first served will be determined by RN# though that's also wishful thinking on my part as I jumped on it within hours of the email going out on Tuesday morning.

I've test driven a number of hybrids and in my books none compare to a Model 3 with a 14k rebate. The battery technology alone is years ahead of anyone else and even that of the X and S to a degree. It's the single most important part of an EV purchase to me and I have numerous trips in mind already.

Pretty sure we'll never see this repeated ever again so it's now or never. Hard not to support a company that has worked behind the scenes to accomplish this for us. They're not perfect but they do many things exceptionally well.

When the cost of EV's come down, the resale value of plug-in hybrids will drop like a stone.

Bravo - couldn’t have said it better myself.

Now I’m just hoping I can actually get that white interior! But I doubt that’ll happen. Still, overjoyed that this opportunity came up. Kudos to Tesla!

I saw an inventory list but it was early last week so things have probably changed since then. I don't recall any white interiors on it. That said, it only included about 40 M3 LR RWD's. About 1/2 were deep blue, 1/4 Pearl White, 3 red, 1 Midnight Silver (hopefully mine) and surprisingly only 2 black. About 1/4 had the 19" wheels.

I saw an inventory list but it was early last week so things have probably changed since then. I don't recall any white interiors on it. That said, it only included about 40 M3 LR RWD's. About 1/2 were deep blue, 1/4 Pearl White, 3 red, 1 Midnight Silver (hopefully mine) and surprisingly only 2 black. About 1/4 had the 19" wheels.
Well, nothing to do but wait and see...and continually harass Tesla employees for information they don’t have :D

• Funny